Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021 | 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Another trick is to spray foot powder in the area its leaking. Then look for a trail after driving.

But I will admit, that area has so many things that can leak. I've had a small weeping I haven't been able to fully get rid of for years. And I've taken it apart at least 10 times for various reasons. Never fully fixed whatever the source is.
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

yea tough to say, really hard to see, esp with the big racefab pan, but there are a lot of different things that could leak, including a brand new shortblock
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm telling you man, UV dye. It helped me find my oil leak that was driving me bonkers.
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

will give it a shot - fwiw it's about this much oil (green cuz red line racing oil)

nvm it's harder to see in pics
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 11:08 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

I've had a drip, for years, that sits on the bottom of my TC. Comes from somewhere. Not sure where. Never leaves a spot on the floor (weird) so I haven't made it a priority
I thought I was the only one.
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I've had a drip, for years, that sits on the bottom of my TC. Comes from somewhere. Not sure where. Never leaves a spot on the floor (weird) so I haven't made it a priority
I thought I was the only one.
i wouldnt mind if it didnt leave a spot but this leaves a small puddle

would this work?

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 11:22 AM
kaj

Looks good. That'll do. I should probably stop being lazy and do the same.
I think I'm 50% afraid of what I'll find. Not in the mood to R&R parts right now
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

t-case might just be breather, esp if u're not finding drips on the ground?
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
t-case might just be breather, esp if u're not finding drips on the ground?
Exactly the breathers will push oil out them when driving hard/ Circuit driving.

The trick we do to stop this is you ditch the little black nipple on the top of the breather to expose the barb. Chuck a silicone hose over the barb and run it up the firewall. This allows the air and vapour etc to bleed when it needs to but stops this dribble. (and before you say it it doesnt fill the line up with fluid lol)
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 02:25 PM
EvoM Guru

lmao. it's oil unfortunately
Hard to tell exactly from your description but from my experience ive had leaks come from the bolts on the cam side of the engine. Some of these go directly into oil galleries and can leak if you havnt installed them with some gasket compound. I had an annoying leak just like this for years from this area. Removed every bolt under here 1 by 1 and installed again with gasket compound and never leaked again
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 06:27 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Exactly the breathers will push oil out them when driving hard/ Circuit driving.

The trick we do to stop this is you ditch the little black nipple on the top of the breather to expose the barb. Chuck a silicone hose over the barb and run it up the firewall. This allows the air and vapour etc to bleed when it needs to but stops this dribble. (and before you say it it doesnt fill the line up with fluid lol)
Easy peasy. I hope that's all it is because I've had the engine/trans out sooooo many times and never, ever found a bad seal/mating surface/etc. That would explain all the WTFs I've had with it.
** edit: I'll get the car on the lift asap.. because I'm 99% sure it was trans fluid and not oil. I remember thinking "I hope I installed that little o-ring" even though I know I did.
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

what's the best way to find a leak under the car?

the car leaves a small puddle around the pass side control arm after every drive. it's driving me nuts. i've looked under the car and it's difficult to tell where it's coming from, but i've tightened the drain plug, oil filter, oil cooler lines and it continues to happen, anywhere else to check?
dipstick/tube?
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 07:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Easy peasy. I hope that's all it is because I've had the engine/trans out sooooo many times and never, ever found a bad seal/mating surface/etc. That would explain all the WTFs I've had with it.
** edit: I'll get the car on the lift asap.. because I'm 99% sure it was trans fluid and not oil. I remember thinking "I hope I installed that little o-ring" even though I know I did.

Under which part of the car are you seeing the leak come from? It can also come from the turbo drain to the sump since youve got a racefab sump. could be coming out through a sump bolt hole too.

On the trans side if the o ring between the trans and transfer is in place then theres not really anywhere else it can leak from. I have had the transfer case bolts back off so might be worth checking those are still tight. thats caused a leak but more major than minor lol.

Otherwise on the back side check the dip stick where it goes into the block ive had that o ring leak. Some good silicone around the base of the dipstick tube sorts that out generally. The pcv valve area can also leak and dribble down the back of the block if your pushing oil thru the rocker cover breather
Old Sep 6, 2021 | 10:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Under which part of the car are you seeing the leak come from? It can also come from the turbo drain to the sump since youve got a racefab sump. could be coming out through a sump bolt hole too.

On the trans side if the o ring between the trans and transfer is in place then theres not really anywhere else it can leak from. I have had the transfer case bolts back off so might be worth checking those are still tight. thats caused a leak but more major than minor lol.

Otherwise on the back side check the dip stick where it goes into the block ive had that o ring leak. Some good silicone around the base of the dipstick tube sorts that out generally. The pcv valve area can also leak and dribble down the back of the block if your pushing oil thru the rocker cover breather
As mentioned above it's a drip of trans fluid that hangs off the t-case but never hits the ground. Lucky me, for a change LOL
I don't have a RaceFab pan, but it's also not oil, so good there, either way. Same for the other oil-related suggestions.
also per above, I 100% have the o-ring in. I was joking about missing it LOL I've done all the basics, so I know bolts are tight.
​​​​
Old Sep 7, 2021 | 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
dipstick/tube?
hard to tell, so tough to look back there. after i'm done racing i'll use the uv stuff to check

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?