Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021 | 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Been doing some wiring upgrades lately on the car as i build up my wiring skill. Seems like every time i do a wiring project i end up improving on things which is quite entertaining. You re visit an area and go jeez thats dodgy never realised how bad i was at wiring back then haha. have gone from the twisting wires together in the back of my stereo to using proper turret crimpers with deutsch plugs and DR25 heat shrink etc. Still a way to go i havnt experimented with moulded boots etc yet which would be the next step.

Previously i had a manual marine style isolator up by the windscreen to meet our motorsport external kill regulations. It was quite dodgy cause it had 50mm battery cable running up to it and then back out of it. id had it arc a couple times already and trip my main 100amp breaker out. Worry was if i took a hit to that corner of the car and it crumpled or flexed it could arc out again. So ended up upgrading to an FIA spec Cartec GT solid state isolator. These get mounted down by the battery and they kill the battery circuit via a solid state relay interrupting the power supply to the ecu and disconnecting the main ground to the battery. This means you have an externally mounted kill button which is low voltage low amps making the whole system alot safer.

I also installed a firewall insulated stud for the starter main power cable where as this was originally running through a grommet in the firewall directly from the battery cables which i didnt like. This is a much safer way to do it i find. Just need to slip a rubber boot on to the starter power cable to cover it up and loom it to the rest, finish the wiring to the switch and loom and sleeve the cables. Waiting on some supplies to come through from the wiring supplier before i can finish it all off properly. Then a good tidy up and touch up paint and we done.

The following users liked this post:
codgi (Oct 3, 2021)
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 04:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Been doing some wiring upgrades lately on the car as i build up my wiring skill. Seems like every time i do a wiring project i end up improving on things which is quite entertaining. You re visit an area and go jeez thats dodgy never realised how bad i was at wiring back then haha. have gone from the twisting wires together in the back of my stereo to using proper turret crimpers with deutsch plugs and DR25 heat shrink etc.
I know what that's like. My Evo was not my first modded car, but I've come a long way and am often horrified at some of my past workmanship. I do still own my first modded car though and have had it since 1997. It's amazing that it is reliable as it is. Twisting wires with electrical tape and no real knowledge of electricity back then. Fuse? What's that? Actually, it's amazing that the car didn't burn to the ground years ago before I fixed some things.
Kevin. (Sep 29, 2021)
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I know what that's like. My Evo was not my first modded car, but I've come a long way and am often horrified at some of my past workmanship. I do still own my first modded car though and have had it since 1997. It's amazing that it is reliable as it is. Twisting wires with electrical tape and no real knowledge of electricity back then. Fuse? What's that? Actually, it's amazing that the car didn't burn to the ground years ago before I fixed some things.
You are saying that Camaro is still alive?? Man!!
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 07:50 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

I feel like it was necessary thru the growing process to do some super sketchy wiring. My first modded car was a 98 Dodge Neon I put a turbo kit on in 2000.

My sus wiring was the turbo timer. Someone said it was all good to pull a fuse stick the wire in the connector and push the fuse in to hold. Boom, quick and easy connection!

Sadly it totally worked even if it probably permanently damaged the spade connector.
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 09:26 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

I installed car alarms and stereos through college, and oh boy have I seen some things. Wire nuts, lamp switches, romex, self tappers going right into vehicle modules, amps screwed down into gas tanks, taps into airbag circuits....just crazy ****. Had to refuse work because I was worried it could literally burn down the shop. People's priorities are hilarious, will drop thousands into a stereo, but the headlights don't even work.

I found this to be a pretty good intro resource for folks looking to step up their wiring game.
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Sep 29, 2021 at 09:42 AM.
codgi (Oct 3, 2021)
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
You are saying that Camaro is still alive?? Man!!
Yup! Going to use it for CAM-T next year now that the newer cars are out of the class. Still under 60k miles!

MrAWD (Sep 29, 2021)
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Think we are all guilty of the old twist and tape. The ones i hated the most were those clip on blade things you could buy which you put ur new wire on and then u clipped it onto an existing wire and there was a little blade that would penetrate the insulation of the original wire to give you power haha. then they would unclip and you had no idea where the hole was.

Wired this up also now. Goes through the firewall into engine bay as im sick of pushing wires through the loom grommet so will just connect up to this plug either side from now on going forward.

LetsGetThisDone (Sep 29, 2021)
Old Sep 29, 2021 | 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Yup! Going to use it for CAM-T next year now that the newer cars are out of the class. Still under 60k miles!

am i the only one visually tripping about that rear wheel?
ViciousLSD (Sep 29, 2021)
Old Oct 1, 2021 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Drag slicks need more room
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 12:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Vapor blasting anyone? Came out great and swapping the Skunk 2 for a non ported stocker.
deylag (Oct 7, 2021)
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

I really want a vapor blasting cabinet, results always look so fresh.
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Man. I thought soda blasting looked nice. That has an awesome sheen to it.
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ooo, black friday/group buy/EvoOwnersNeedClean**** anyone?
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Serviced the trans and tc, new rad, coolant hoses, miata batt and muse uicp. Also rerouted the tb cable and painted the heat shields with high temp flat black bbq paint.
​​
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Vapor blasting anyone? Came out great and swapping the Skunk 2 for a non ported stocker.
Reason for going back to stock? Interested in selling the skunk mani?
211Ratsbud (Oct 7, 2021)

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?