Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021 | 01:51 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

check out this dry ice blasting. This place does mostly p cars but I want my suspension arms done.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUiq2..._web_copy_link
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Reason for going back to stock? Interested in selling the skunk mani?
Because stock works the best for <750whp if you want best response
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Oct 8, 2021)
Old Oct 7, 2021 | 03:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Couple more photos cause I'm super pleased
Old Oct 8, 2021 | 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Reason for going back to stock? Interested in selling the skunk mani?
Possibly, shoot me a message.
Old Oct 9, 2021 | 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Possibly, shoot me a message.
Looked into it a bit more. Gonna pass on the skunk for now. Ended up picking up an evo 4 manifold that I'll probably do a bit of port work to.
Old Oct 11, 2021 | 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Whats wrong with your OE mani? What's the logic in going to an Evo 4 piece?
Old Oct 11, 2021 | 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Idle hands haha.
Old Oct 11, 2021 | 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Whats wrong with your OE mani? What's the logic in going to an Evo 4 piece?
Nothing wrong with the stock manifold. I'm picky about stuff as you know haha. The plenum and runners are the same as the 8/9 but it doesn't use the common rail PCV setup like the 8/9 manifold does (plugging the back of the valve cover so no longer need a port on the intake manifold for that), there's no EGR port, and it doesn't have the port for the MAP sensor like the 8/9 does. I'm moving to a remote mount MAP sensor that's more reliable than the OMNI MAP sensors and I'll be able to keep all my pressure transducers (oil pres, fuel pres, MAP) all in one place on the firewall. Doing all this also means I'll be able to shorten some of the wiring harness and route it a bit more neatly.

So in other words, mainly just to keep things a little more neat and tidy/simple. Less ports to have to worry about plugging up or have to spend time leak testing if there's a boost leak and I get to remote mount the MAP sensor a bit easier.

I'll post some side by side photos when I get it. Was also only like $150 shipped from the UK (most of that price is the shipping) so it wasn't expensive by any means.

Originally Posted by Balrok
Idle hands haha.
Haha, only partially true. Definitely wouldn't have time for something as insignificant as this if shipping on everything wasn't so delayed (which is weird because UPS is saying the manifold is supposed to be here by the end of the week lol) and my machine shop wasn't so backed up on getting me inventory for parts

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2021 | 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Are you going to vapor blast it? 😆
Old Oct 12, 2021 | 08:13 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

I have a part I machine for a local company that ends up taking ~30hrs/500 with having to swap parts every 20min. Tedious, but pay is oof and gives me those 20min sections to do projects.

Im getting some things prepared for the Motec M150 install and making a mount. I scanned both stock ecu and m150, then made a bracket. In aluminum its about 0.25lb. But a 3D printed ABS or ASA filament would also work at less than 0.1lb. Unfortunately my printer will definitely warp this shape in ASA. Maybe I'll machine it out of delrin .

Going to print in PLA to test fit, make sure I didn't miss anything.

alpinaturbo (Oct 13, 2021)
Old Oct 12, 2021 | 10:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Haha no, will likely just wipe it down with brake clean and toss it on. It's an appealing prospect for sure but I'm already way over budget and need to focus on necessities at this point.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I have a part I machine for a local company that ends up taking ~30hrs/500 with having to swap parts every 20min. Tedious, but pay is oof and gives me those 20min sections to do projects.

Im getting some things prepared for the Motec M150 install and making a mount. I scanned both stock ecu and m150, then made a bracket. In aluminum its about 0.25lb. But a 3D printed ABS or ASA filament would also work at less than 0.1lb. Unfortunately my printer will definitely warp this shape in ASA. Maybe I'll machine it out of delrin .

Going to print in PLA to test fit, make sure I didn't miss anything.
So fancy with your 3D scanner and scalloped bracket haha. My cheap *** would just make it from sheet metal.
Old Oct 13, 2021 | 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

glass bead blasting is funn too
alpinaturbo (Oct 13, 2021)
Old Oct 13, 2021 | 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Nothing wrong with the stock manifold. I'm picky about stuff as you know haha. The plenum and runners are the same as the 8/9 but it doesn't use the common rail PCV setup like the 8/9 manifold does (plugging the back of the valve cover so no longer need a port on the intake manifold for that), there's no EGR port, and it doesn't have the port for the MAP sensor like the 8/9 does. I'm moving to a remote mount MAP sensor that's more reliable than the OMNI MAP sensors and I'll be able to keep all my pressure transducers (oil pres, fuel pres, MAP) all in one place on the firewall. Doing all this also means I'll be able to shorten some of the wiring harness and route it a bit more neatly.

So in other words, mainly just to keep things a little more neat and tidy/simple. Less ports to have to worry about plugging up or have to spend time leak testing if there's a boost leak and I get to remote mount the MAP sensor a bit easier.

I'll post some side by side photos when I get it. Was also only like $150 shipped from the UK (most of that price is the shipping) so it wasn't expensive by any means.

Interesting attention to detail, I was told that the port flowing and shaping etc was evolved with each newer model so would be interesting to do a side by side with all of that too to see how different they are in that respect.
Old Oct 15, 2021 | 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

@ayoustin have you looked into RIFE sensors? Would be a nice neat solution for you to package everything in one place.
Old Oct 15, 2021 | 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TimC909
@ayoustin have you looked into RIFE sensors? Would be a nice neat solution for you to package everything in one place.
No I haven't but just looked them up. Definitely a neat bit of kit and wouldn't have really cost me any more than what I'm into with my current setup. The only concern I'd have is serviceability. I only briefly looked but didn't see any mention of how easily a damaged or faulty sensor can be replaced. it may be something I'll look into doing for my next iteration of my car when I rewire the whole car but for now I'm content with being able to keep all my sensors on tucked away on the stock fuel pump relay/injector resistor bracket. Keeps the transducers within easy reach and they're relatively close to where they're reading from.

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Interesting attention to detail, I was told that the port flowing and shaping etc was evolved with each newer model so would be interesting to do a side by side with all of that too to see how different they are in that respect.
Just got the manifold in tonight. I threw it on my head and everything lines up as it should. Ports are the same size, and in the same place, fuel rail bolts up the same etc. Gave it a quick scrub and laid it on the bench next to my stock manifold. First photo, 8 manifold on bottom, 4 on top. My stock one is lightly ported so it's not totally apples to apples here. From my eyeball measurements the plenum and ports are damn near identical so no performance changes from those aspects.

This second photo from above shows most of the differences, 8 on the left, 4 on the right. There's a lot less threaded posts along the plenum, where the factory MAP sensor port is on the 8/9 manifold the 4 has its PCV port location instead. On the 8/9 the PCV port is the common rail setup that feeds off the left side of the manifold where the hose it attached. Blow off valve port is in the same location, as are throttle cable bosses, FPR port, and brake booster port.

The third photo, 8 on the bottom, 4 on the top, shows the bottom and here you can see less threaded posts again along with the lack of the EGR ports. On the 4 manifold it's just blanked out on the flange. The only other difference I see is the extra hose barb on the back of the 4 manifold between cylinders 2 and 3 which is what I'll be using to run a hose to my MAP sensor; on the 8 this is just blanked off in the casting.

On the fourth photo, 8 on the left, 4 on the right, shows the difference of no EGR system again and the throttle body inlets appear to be the same size, I forgot to measure them with a caliper but if they're not the same I'll be sure to update that they're not. Note, the 8 runner looks much taller but that's just the EGR tube sitting on the bottom of the runner, they're the same height otherwise.

Also I weighed both of them. The 4 manifold is a bit shy of being 2lbs lighter than the 8 manifold.

From my internet searching what I've found is the following:
  • 1-3 manifolds are similar to DSM so completely backwards, different ports, etc. Doesn't work at all.
  • 4 manifold is as I've shown, no MAP sensor bung, PCV pulls from the plenum, no EGR
  • 5-6 manifold is the same as the 4 manifold but moves to the common rail PCV setup like the 8/9 manifold uses, still no MAP sensor bung or EGR
  • 7 manifold is the same as 5-6 manifold but adds EGR, still no MAP sensor bung
  • 8/9 manifold adds MAP sensor bung but it seems the JDM/UK cars didn't get the MAP sensor bung until 9 so their 8 is the same as the 7
Those are just my observations, there may be some discrepancies.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?