Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022 | 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
wont that bracket you just grounded be right on that spot? time for a new solution, is all
no, the brake duct would connect to the back/inner side of the spindle, whereas the bracket installs on the outer-side of the spindle.

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
you could make up a spacer to space the brackets out so they clear the middle. or cut down the shape of the ducting so it clears but you will weaken them this way.

I found the girodisc material to be quite soft and you go through the disc thickness quite fast. Doesnt compare to a proper motorsport rotor like an AP racing rotor for example.

Optimal brake temps vary depending on what pads etc you have and their working range.

Pretty much what happens is each brake application the brake temp spikes. and then as you accelerate etc the temp comes back down. and then you brake again and it spikes again. without proper cooling to bring them back down between brake applications each spike increases the temp more and more. for example if you dont have sufficient cooling for ur brakes it will go like this: first application brake temp peaks at 500deg then comes back down to say 200deg but then you brake again and temp peaks at 700 the second time. and then only falls down to 400deg. and then you brake again and peak temp is now 900deg.

Obviously various things can affect this like the circuit layout, power level of car, weight of car, strength of braking system, ambient temperature, raining or not etc.

Generally you can get away with the temp constantly increasing if your only doing short runs but at some point you will hit boiling point of your fluid and then get brake fade.

I would also advise cooling for brakes because the more you keep the temps under control the more life you get from your wheel bearings and wheelspeed sensors etc. as they arent subjected to massive heat and spikes in temperature as much.

Best thing to do would be get your local brake supplier to paint mark your calipers and discs with their temp stickers or temperature sensitive paint and see what sort of temp your brakes are getting up to this will tell you if you need more or less ducting.
right, that's why I was pleased with the setup that I had, the small amount of ducting was actually a noticeable help. like I said i've got the air guides and actually based on how my tires have been wearing, i should take a cooldown lap every 3rd lap anyway
Old Feb 1, 2022 | 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

so,
what do i do with these?

Old Feb 1, 2022 | 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

is there a special trick to getting the camber bolt out of the toe arm?
Old Feb 1, 2022 | 06:13 PM
EvoM Guru

I plan to have proper installation instructions on the website to answer installation questions upfront for customers. In the mean time feel free to message me about any uncertainties.
Old Feb 1, 2022 | 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I do have a design for a 2.5" duct, I just havent been able to get it made at any reasonable price unfortunately. Its a bit complicated of a fit and keeping clearance to the Axle. Almost wondering if a 3D printed ASA or CF Nylon would work there.
is that the part we made a sample of years ago?
Old Feb 1, 2022 | 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by kyoo
is there a special trick to getting the camber bolt out of the toe arm?
Wait, camber and toe arms are different. Do you mean adjustment bolt on the toe arm? Is it stuck in your car?

Originally Posted by Meathooker
is that the part we made a sample of years ago?
Yeah, if you recall we weren't able to get them made right and they were quite the pain for your fab guy. Partly my fault, I should have made a welding fixture to locate the mounting holes and tabs relative to each other and give the right angle position on the tube.
Old Feb 1, 2022 | 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

sorry for the confusion. toe bolt, and it just tapped out. were having trouble now with lining up the fixed bits for the toe but calling it a night for now. obviously not how that black pieces is supposed to sit.

Old Feb 1, 2022 | 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

also, fwiw - the brakes. the pads line up probably off by a millimeter, stock brakes were dead on but that's why stock is stock. nice meaty pad on there now though:

Old Feb 2, 2022 | 05:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Funny: I started out as an engineering student. I think all of here are like minded in that way, which is why we are still here.
obviously, not me, lmao banking/finance/econ/capital markets whooooo
Me either. I'm an engineer wannabe, but an attorney IRL.
Old Feb 2, 2022 | 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yeah, if you recall we weren't able to get them made right and they were quite the pain for your fab guy. Partly my fault, I should have made a welding fixture to locate the mounting holes and tabs relative to each other and give the right angle position on the tube.

yeah those were a PIA. A lot of metal forming in a short distance!

Old Feb 2, 2022 | 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

also, fwiw - the brakes. the pads line up probably off by a millimeter, stock brakes were dead on but that's why stock is stock. nice meaty pad on there now though:

You didn't put the brake duct between the caliper bracket and the upright correct?
Old Feb 2, 2022 | 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
You didn't put the brake duct between the caliper bracket and the upright correct?
correct. if i had installed, it would have been between the mounting bracket bolt and the upright (bolt - duct - upright - bracket) but duct wouldnt sit flush against the back of the upright anyway.

also, the bracket itself partially covers the area that would have received the air. not like the bracket beeradd uses which incorporates a hole

Old Feb 2, 2022 | 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

I just noticed you have a wire loom under your car. I think this might hold some water and cause problems
Old Feb 2, 2022 | 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

correct, that is for the relocated battery. should I poke a hole in it? I don't really drive the car in rain and snow.
Old Feb 2, 2022 | 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

correct, that is for the relocated battery. should I poke a hole in it? I don't really drive the car in rain and snow.
ah ok. maybe a single well insulated wire is not too worrying.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?