Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022 | 11:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
It is odd to me that higher ethanol content leads to leaner conditions, thought it would be the reverse? any insight on what exactly is going on there?
That is correct. In a non flex-fuel system, the higher the E-content, the leaner the AF mixture will be. Less E-content, the richer.

How much leaner are you? Might be find since you have higher E-content.
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
That is correct. In a non flex-fuel system, the higher the E-content, the leaner the AF mixture will be. Less E-content, the richer.

How much leaner are you? Might be find since you have higher E-content.
was seeing about 12.0 on the last pull I did. I pm'd you for recommendations on flex fuel tuning.
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:04 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

you need a higher volume of ethanol to burn all the oxygen than you do gasoline. So the more the mixture of the two is ethanol, the more volume needs to be added to compensate.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Mar 23, 2022)
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
you need a higher volume of ethanol to burn all the oxygen than you do gasoline. So the more the mixture of the two is ethanol, the more volume needs to be added to compensate.
i always thought of it as burning gas, not oxygen. so higher ethanol, more air burnt, leaner condition? i always thought of running richer as "safer" - so if I run more pump on my E85 tune, will the car be safer?
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:24 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

It's all about the oxygen. Your body is like an engine, doesn't matter how much fuel you cram into it, how fit you are is all about how much oxygen you can absorb (V02 Max).

Rich means more fuel floating around, lowering the chance of lean pockets forming and detonating. Too rich is also bad, depends on the fuel what that ratio is.
kyoo (Mar 23, 2022)
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
It's all about the oxygen. Your body is like an engine, doesn't matter how much fuel you cram into it, how fit you are is all about how much oxygen you can absorb (V02 Max).

Rich means more fuel floating around, lowering the chance of lean pockets forming and detonating.
got it, thanks! maybe it's always gonna be a little safer to have a touch of pump gas in the tank when running my e85 tune
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:34 PM
EvoM Guru

was seeing about 12.0 on the last pull I did. I pm'd you for recommendations on flex fuel tuning.
Yea for track/autox I would run it richer. Not sure your setup, but if you have a tactrix cable and your rom, an easy short term fix is just bringing down the injector scaling a tick or two until you get E70 back in the tank. Or if you don't want to mess with the ROM, just drain a couple gallons and put some pump gas in.
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yea for track/autox I would run it richer. Not sure your setup, but if you have a tactrix cable and your rom, an easy short term fix is just bringing down the injector scaling a tick or two until you get E70 back in the tank. Or if you don't want to mess with the ROM, just drain a couple gallons and put some pump gas in.
Yup, doing the latter. it's nearly a full tank, gonna drain about 5 gallons of what's in there and add in 1 gallon of pump.
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

it was the e content, yea. no boost leaks, usually I see the car running lean at idle when I do. thought I included this pic. FWIW, i tried it with distilled water the first time and it didn't look right, tried a second time with just tap water and it seemed to make a little more sense:

I think I'm tuned around E70, and I have about E82 in there or so. I can add about a gallon of 93/E10 to it and it should get me down closer to E70. It is odd to me that higher ethanol content leads to leaner conditions, thought it would be the reverse? any insight on what exactly is going on there?

What AFR is your car tuned at? Goign from E70 to E80 shouldn't make it dangerously lean unless its really too lean on E70 already..

Also, they have FLEX FUEL for the stock ECU now. You should invest in that or find a more consistent fuel source.
Old Mar 23, 2022 | 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What AFR is your car tuned at? Goign from E70 to E80 shouldn't make it dangerously lean unless its really too lean on E70 already..

Also, they have FLEX FUEL for the stock ECU now. You should invest in that or find a more consistent fuel source.
i usually saw low 11's when I ran with my usual gas. This E85 was from a pit stop on the way home, figured i'd fill with e85 given the upcoming event. I saw 12.0 when I did a pull off of it.

yea I am very, very much wanting to go flex fuel. will probably be one of the first things I do when I get the car up to the tri-state area. aside from English Racing, is there anyone else that is well known for solid flex fuel tunes?
Old Mar 25, 2022 | 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Fixed:
  • After removing about 5 gallons, about 1 gallon (to the ~8 gallons remaining) of 93 got me to low 11's, even high 10's so we're good there. At least this way, if I ever get "bad" e85, I'll run rich, and if I ever get good E85, I can just add a gallon or two of pump gas.
  • Rattle was indeed the stainless steel line from the ACD relocation bouncing on the heat shield above the driveshaft, that is sorted now.
Not fixed:
  • Still creaking on turning. Was hoping removing front preload would do it, it did not. Only creaking on right turns, but sounds like it's coming from driver's side. I think something is rubbing on something, but not sure what. I'm hoping it self clears during autox on Sunday.
  • Still losing coolant - so it was not the upper radiator hose. There's a recirc hose that I trimmed to use a newer portion, I am seeing if that works. I put paper towels in a few places but won't check it until it's cooler.
Old Mar 25, 2022 | 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

i usually saw low 11's when I ran with my usual gas. This E85 was from a pit stop on the way home, figured i'd fill with e85 given the upcoming event. I saw 12.0 when I did a pull off of it.

yea I am very, very much wanting to go flex fuel. will probably be one of the first things I do when I get the car up to the tri-state area. aside from English Racing, is there anyone else that is well known for solid flex fuel tunes?
ER and Aaron are the only shop I endorse for Evo tuning, but I do believe they had to stop offering remote tuning due to time constraints. Flex fuel ROM's also only work with speed density. You can leave the MAF in place for "aesthetics" but you'll need an OMNI 4bar map sensor.
kyoo (Mar 25, 2022)
Old Mar 27, 2022 | 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Fixed:
  • After removing about 5 gallons, about 1 gallon (to the ~8 gallons remaining) of 93 got me to low 11's, even high 10's so we're good there. At least this way, if I ever get "bad" e85, I'll run rich, and if I ever get good E85, I can just add a gallon or two of pump gas.
  • Rattle was indeed the stainless steel line from the ACD relocation bouncing on the heat shield above the driveshaft, that is sorted now.
Not fixed:
  • Still creaking on turning. Was hoping removing front preload would do it, it did not. Only creaking on right turns, but sounds like it's coming from driver's side. I think something is rubbing on something, but not sure what. I'm hoping it self clears during autox on Sunday.
  • Still losing coolant - so it was not the upper radiator hose. There's a recirc hose that I trimmed to use a newer portion, I am seeing if that works. I put paper towels in a few places but won't check it until it's cooler.
it did not self clear, maybe worse if anything, but I think it's the power steering rack rubbing against something... just odd, not sure how to fix it, at least without dropping the subframe
Old Mar 27, 2022 | 09:44 PM
EvoM Guru

it did not self clear, maybe worse if anything, but I think it's the power steering rack rubbing against something... just odd, not sure how to fix it, at least without dropping the subframe
maybe swaybar needs grease?
Old Mar 28, 2022 | 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
maybe swaybar needs grease?
perhaps, but again need to drop the subframe. it began right after the part install too, so not sure how much that plays into it.

fwiw i was shocked how bad the ap racing brakes were compared to the evo x setup for autox yesterday. it was a cold day but i never had problems before, at least not on the st43's.

car just didn't feel like it had any braking performance. the brakes were bedded before, and if they weren't bedded enough they are now. the brakes did get better through the event, but still just did not have the stopping power i was hoping or expecting, coming from the evo x brembos. but at least i don't need to rebuild for dust boots every year?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?