Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022 | 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Ive had luck with this buying Diffs from RZCrew out of singapore. The Cusco diffs were quite a bit cheaper even with shipping there.
what's the part #s? If they aren't on rhdjapan, they can be with an email.
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 01:59 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

I've been trying to take advantage against the Euro with ross sport/ears.ie
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Sep 28, 2022)
Old Sep 27, 2022 | 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Anyone been looking at coilovers/parts from international manufacturers from international suppliers due to the historically strong dollar?

IE: The KW V4 coilovers you can get for ~$4500 w/ shipping internationally where their USD price is ~$5700.
Currently ordering a do-luck widebody kit from rhdjapan.

Domestic distributors are not lowering their prices with relation to their material prices which is normal. But this is an "arbitrage" opportunity, especially with high dollar, small pieces.
How does $2100 shipped for Ohlins sound? They are the JDM (original?) configuration with the 10kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear springs though..
Old Sep 27, 2022 | 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds fantastic - my dealer price is around 2450 before shipping.

Spooled_IX (Sep 27, 2022)
Old Dec 11, 2022 | 12:42 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

My car has only been sitting since I got back from Solo Nats for its natural hibernation season. But I finally got it on the floor lift and pulled the borrowed diff (thanks Marshal!). My crackhead diff (toothless...) is also back from TRE slightly delayed cause I also bent the cusco housing. So that was a spendy little failure.

I also resigned from SawStop and now doing full time SSB Designs. Lucky enough to have a foundation of success to build on and almost limitless ideas for products to make. Wont just be evo stuff but a few refinements and new things will be coming. Tor grow, I ordered a UMC500ss to go with my 3-axis to because I'm running into quite a few project limitations. Should be getting that early to mid January. Its just a CNC payment

As for Car upgrades this winter, I'm at a pretty good spot so mostly its just refinement and small detail work to get a little bit more.

- JXB driveshaft carrier bearings
- I may test dropping front spring rate 50lbs
- A bit more front trimming to see if I can get lower
- Maximizing front canard size to SM rules and playing with some ACD tuning I learned at nats with more aggressive wing and rear rebound settings
- ECU install (finally...)
- Battery relocation, rear mounted and heavier/bigger.

Stretch goals,
- New minimal splitter to drop 10-15lbs (its 20lbs now)
- Finally finish the widebody (totally changed my mind on what I want to do)
- Test a new ultralight front brake setup with the Aero6 calipers

Essentially, because full time SSB I don't want to spend too much more money when I already have gobs of parts here that just need work to be installed.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Ayoustin (Dec 11, 2022), Bee-Raddd (Dec 12, 2022), deylag (Dec 12, 2022), MrAWD (Dec 12, 2022), Terror Rising (Dec 12, 2022), ViciousLSD (Dec 11, 2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Dec 11, 2022 | 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
My car has only been sitting since I got back from Solo Nats for its natural hibernation season. But I finally got it on the floor lift and pulled the borrowed diff (thanks Marshal!). My crackhead diff (toothless...) is also back from TRE slightly delayed cause I also bent the cusco housing. So that was a spendy little failure.

I also resigned from SawStop and now doing full time SSB Designs. Lucky enough to have a foundation of success to build on and almost limitless ideas for products to make. Wont just be evo stuff but a few refinements and new things will be coming. Tor grow, I ordered a UMC500ss to go with my 3-axis to because I'm running into quite a few project limitations. Should be getting that early to mid January. Its just a CNC payment

As for Car upgrades this winter, I'm at a pretty good spot so mostly its just refinement and small detail work to get a little bit more.

- JXB driveshaft carrier bearings
- I may test dropping front spring rate 50lbs
- A bit more front trimming to see if I can get lower
- Maximizing front canard size to SM rules and playing with some ACD tuning I learned at nats with more aggressive wing and rear rebound settings
- ECU install (finally...)
- Battery relocation, rear mounted and heavier/bigger.

Stretch goals,
- New minimal splitter to drop 10-15lbs (its 20lbs now)
- Finally finish the widebody (totally changed my mind on what I want to do)
- Test a new ultralight front brake setup with the Aero6 calipers

Essentially, because full time SSB I don't want to spend too much more money when I already have gobs of parts here that just need work to be installed.
congrats, makes me jealous i don't do auto-x. ssb products look amazing.
Old Dec 12, 2022 | 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Roccy
congrats, makes me jealous i don't do auto-x. ssb products look amazing.
You dont need to auto-x to use SSB parts. i have them on my car they made a world of difference
Old Dec 12, 2022 | 10:25 AM
EvoM Guru

for me i just finished respraying my interior floor and rollcage. The rollcage colour didnt come out how i wanted it to but ill live with it for now lol.

Also have a professional motorsport loom being developed and made up to go in the car. we have mapped out every pin and plug in excel spreadsheets. Added a PDM. Worked out where the looms will run etc and drawn it all up in CAD. Next step is to physically put the wiring into the car and finalise lengths etc. Should all be done by new years.

Then in the new year we will fit the Haltech R3 ECU apon release and put it thru its paces.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
TimC909 (Dec 12, 2022), ViciousLSD (Dec 12, 2022)
Old Dec 12, 2022 | 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Would love to see the inner workings of your spreadsheet and planning out.
I’ve got the HPA course on concentric twisted harness but the planning it out phase I’d love to watch the phase from planning to building if that makes sense
Old Dec 12, 2022 | 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Me too. Wiring is a dark art it seems. So many details to right and so easy to get lost in the spaghetti.
Old Dec 12, 2022 | 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Proper wiring and plumbing. Sac your fingers but done right it looks hella good.

1. I...finally...got my Voltex front bits in after waiting 1.5 years. I've got them mocked up to see how badly I need to trim for 295's...again. If you don't recall I dug in-ground on an off going sideways racing daytona and it cracked all the front glass/fiber to hell.
2. Sold my m150 but I kept the rest. It helped with more pressing matters but it'll come back someday or I may flip ecu's. We'll see. I do have the harness still if anyone is really interested.
3. Since I'm on stock ecu still I can re-focus on fine tuning my sensors/alerting to maximize what I already have and gain a realistic sense of where the gaps are. Acting more like a driver then engineer...its hard lol.

Stretch
Find someone to make me a bolt in vibrant or similar clamp style IC kit. I have Ti upper pipe now so it's not exactly cost effective to weld that, so open to options. Pref just each side of the IC and the TB, the turbo one has never really given me an issue and to take the turbo back out is painful.
Old Dec 13, 2022 | 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TimC909
Would love to see the inner workings of your spreadsheet and planning out.
I’ve got the HPA course on concentric twisted harness but the planning it out phase I’d love to watch the phase from planning to building if that makes sense
Theres been lots of hours spent on planning and layout. Ill put a screenshot below of how we laid it out. Theres multiple spreadsheets going.

The way i started the spreadsheet is i went thru the ECU I/O and listed each component and what input/ output it was associated to on the ecu and current draw etc.

I then listed every other component i could think of on the car that requires a wire to it.

I then took the laptop to the garage and walked around the car methodically to make sure i hadnt missed any. We still found stuff later on that we had skipped.
We reassign the I/O to a new one if required e.g since we are adding a PD16 we are moving stuff across to that. and setting things up to move to the R3.
This brain dump then goes into another file where the looms are separated out into plugs and locations. each component from the first spreadsheet is then assigned a plug and pin.
Then we went through and finalised component location for each component.
Then it has been drawn in CAD as an isometric drawing showing where each loom will run and where each component will be located etc. and lengths measured etc.

By the end we should have full CAD drawings of the entire wiring loom down to each wire and each pin and youll be able to trace a wire through the drawing and see which pin it passes through each plug etc from start to finish. Which also means for fault finding you can just go end to end with ur volt meter because you know where it enters an exits the loom. The loom is broken into seperate smaller looms also to make servicing and work easier. for example in the engine bay we have a body loom and an engine loom. so you should be able to unplug the engine loom and remove the whole loom with the engine when doing an engine change. having these smaller sub looms makes it easier to add and remove components also.

70% of the time spent goes into the layout and planning its only a small amount of the work in the actual physical wiring.

TimC909 (Dec 22, 2022)
Old Dec 13, 2022 | 10:44 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Is all that really necessary?
Old Dec 13, 2022 | 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Anyone been looking at coilovers/parts from international manufacturers from international suppliers due to the historically strong dollar?

IE: The KW V4 coilovers you can get for ~$4500 w/ shipping internationally where their USD price is ~$5700.
Currently ordering a do-luck widebody kit from rhdjapan.

Domestic distributors are not lowering their prices with relation to their material prices which is normal. But this is an "arbitrage" opportunity, especially with high dollar, small pieces.
Where are you ordering parts from besides rhdjapan?
Old Dec 13, 2022 | 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Is all that really necessary?
For building a harness? 100% absolutely.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?