Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2024 | 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

We just need to make a few billet options for the things that are getting hard to find. Diff housings and trans are probably OK, but Mivec head and T-case housing would be nice to have future options for. Even better on the T-case, changing the oiling source to remove the trans feed for us clutch type diff folk.
Old Jul 9, 2024 | 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Magnus has billet tcase housings. Just doesn't have the pinion carrier portion.

https://www.magnusmotorsports.com/pr...-case-housing/
Old Jul 9, 2024 | 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

There's an Aussie company that makes all the tcase housings too. I know some EU company also made billet trans housings a few years back, don't remember who though.

For something like a cylinder head it might be easier to get that cast, big maybe tho. That's really the only thing I've seen people have issues finding. But the future is now, and making anything other than an entirely new chassis is pretty doable.
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
We just need to make a few billet options for the things that are getting hard to find. Diff housings and trans are probably OK, but Mivec head and T-case housing would be nice to have future options for. Even better on the T-case, changing the oiling source to remove the trans feed for us clutch type diff folk.
Speaking of - any special way to break in a new clutch type front diff + recently rebuilt trans? Looks like breaking in the ATS front diff didn't impact the gears in any fashion, not sure about the synchros though..

Separately, how many preload springs are you running in the rear diff? I think I want minimum for both front and rear for my setup, but not totally sure.

Also, does a 1-way diff experience the same amount of preload as a 1.5-way when not accelerating or decelerating? I assume it does, though the pronouncement of it may be higher on a 1.5way since it'll add more as soon as you accel or decel?

Last edited by kyoo; Jul 10, 2024 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

A few years ago, I snapped a sway bar bracket in half and when I tried to remove those two bolts that connect it to the lower control arm, they didn't budge. So, Dallas had one of those and driver side was fixed. Now, the same happened on the passenger side as well. Bracket in two pieces and two bolts snapped.
Anyone has an extra passenger side LCA?
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
A few years ago, I snapped a sway bar bracket in half and when I tried to remove those two bolts that connect it to the lower control arm, they didn't budge. So, Dallas had one of those and driver side was fixed. Now, the same happened on the passenger side as well. Bracket in two pieces and two bolts snapped.
evo x? there's plenty on ebay
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Jul 10, 2024)
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Someone needs to start developing cast blocks and heads with Dart or some other reputable manufacturer like the 2JZ and RB focused shops have done recently. There's a company out of Sweden that developed some cast heads with redesigned port shape and uses a cam on bucket style valvetrain like the X but I cant find any info about the head or the manufacturer outside of what RossSport says on their site: SME Head
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
Speaking of - any special way to break in a new clutch type front diff + recently rebuilt trans? Looks like breaking in the ATS front diff didn't impact the gears in any fashion, not sure about the synchros though..
Drive the car. Normal driving, no excessive load for a few hundred miles. Gears need time to wear into each other and run hotter until they do, if heavy load is applied before they wear in their life can be significantly reduced.

Get em out with an easy out or left hand drill bit and put antiseize on them next time. Those are through holes IIRC so if it's bad enough just drill it out and helicoil the holes. Will save a good amount of money over buying a whole new arm.

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Someone needs to start developing cast blocks and heads with Dart or some other reputable manufacturer like the 2JZ and RB focused shops have done recently. There's a company out of Sweden that developed some cast heads with redesigned port shape and uses a cam on bucket style valvetrain like the X but I cant find any info about the head or the manufacturer outside of what RossSport says on their site: SME Head
As cool as it would be I doubt it'll happen. The average Evo owner is a far cry from the average A80 Supra owner, the 2J Dart block is $4500, I don't think there's that many Evo guys that would pony up for something like that especially when 64 blocks are still like $2-300 at pull yards.

A factory repop head for the 8 and 9 would be awesome, especially since it would (ideally) have less core shift than the 20 year old heads we have now. The SME head is neat but really ties your hands on only being able to run their valvetrain components and god knows how painful it would be to get replacement parts from Europe if something fails.
Construct (Jul 11, 2024)
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

moreso wondering if i can do anything to preserve the synchros from the front diff break-in. cusco recommends fluid flush at 500, 1,500, and 5k and every 10k after that, which I will do for sure.

@Dallas J how did your trans/gears/synchros look after u broke in your diff?
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I made some special seals to do just that.. and figured where to drill the Tcase for propper oiling... but life is intervening and not letting me test these...

Old Jul 10, 2024 | 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
As cool as it would be I doubt it'll happen. The average Evo owner is a far cry from the average A80 Supra owner, the 2J Dart block is $4500, I don't think there's that many Evo guys that would pony up for something like that especially when 64 blocks are still like $2-300 at pull yards.

A factory repop head for the 8 and 9 would be awesome, especially since it would (ideally) have less core shift than the 20 year old heads we have now. The SME head is neat but really ties your hands on only being able to run their valvetrain components and god knows how painful it would be to get replacement parts from Europe if something fails.
Fair point about blocks but at least they would be stronger and better quality than oem castings with options for different bore and deck heights. Would make a good option in between oem and stepping up to the more expensive billet options for racers. I agree that oem style cast heads is what we really need for the 4G community.
Old Jul 10, 2024 | 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Fair point about blocks but at least they would be stronger and better quality than oem castings with options for different bore and deck heights. Would make a good option in between oem and stepping up to the more expensive billet options for racers. I agree that oem style cast heads is what we really need for the 4G community.
What issues have you seen with OEM 4G block castings?

They do 1000whp with standard machine work and an oring'ed deck or head... Which FAR surpasses the typical power output goal of an Evo owner.

The only issue is availability, and right now at least, they're still available from Mitsubishi.
RallySport9 (Jul 10, 2024)
Old Jul 11, 2024 | 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

So, even though my front sway-bar is disconnected at this point, I had to do a 400 miles round trip yesterday and that was the longest ever that I had to drive EVO. In short, it was not as comfortable as I was hoping to be. Perhaps I am getting too old for this, but similar trips back in days in my 2G didn't seem to be like that. The list of issues that I happened to have didn't help overall feeling either:
  • within first couple of hours, AWD system check light popped up, so I am guessing my ACD hydraulic pump is done - so much for the pump #3 (it did last the longest, if I can say)
  • started getting tornado warnings a bit later and ended up driving on the side of that big thing in the sky that I have never seen in my life. Seeing a cloud formation that looks like a whip cream in the really strange shape is not something we are accustom to see in the New England (well this one was in NY state, but close enough). Luckily it was a bit south from the Thruway, but it was not fun to be there. When I got into those clouds, temps went quickly from 95s down to mid 70s in a matter of minutes.
  • Then on the way back a large bird decide to try to land on my roof while driving about 75 mph and hit a corner of my windshield and made a nice crack there
It is almost like a feeling that someone is sending me a message about me sticking with EVO

Btw, what do people do with those ACD pumps nowadays? Last time dealer charged me about $1,700 for the pump and labor (luckily, it was reimbursed later, when Mitsubishi extended warranty on that part).
Old Jul 11, 2024 | 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
What issues have you seen with OEM 4G block castings?

They do 1000whp with standard machine work and an oring'ed deck or head... Which FAR surpasses the typical power output goal of an Evo owner.

The only issue is availability, and right now at least, they're still available from Mitsubishi.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the oem casting don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean it can't be improved either, and those blocks will eventually be discontinued. More material thickness in the deck and around bores for better head sealing for example. The 2JZ is also well know for having an excellent oem block that can handle 4 digit power but Dart still improved it further over the oem design. Doesn't mean they think there is some flaw with the oem design. Availability is the main concern I agree, but it would be nice to have additional availability with blocks that are also better for those who need/want something like that.
Old Jul 11, 2024 | 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, what do people do with those ACD pumps nowadays? Last time dealer charged me about $1,700 for the pump and labor (luckily, it was reimbursed later, when Mitsubishi extended warranty on that part).

if the valve is ok, just open the pump, clean, new rebuild kit and go...

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?