Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2024 | 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
On another topic, we were talking about aftermarket heads here the other week, looks like PRP is doing cast Subaru heads now on top of their RB stuff. I know Herman has teased 4G stuff in the past so I don't think it's out of the question that we could see an improved cast head from PRP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOV-0Ryehc
He mentioned 4G63 right after RB26 and 2JZ as possibilities for future head development. That's a good sign.

His point about starting with EJ heads because they're smaller before scaling up to larger heads is a good point. Hopefully they see enough success with their heads to keep the product line moving forward.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
TBH, I didn't even know the PVC valve was anything more than a 1way check valve. I always assumed the OEM valve was just a ball and spring. But that would be perfect since I have the Radium catch can right there.
There's multiple ways they can be constructed, just depends on the engine. Some are just a check valve, some are a check valve with a spring to create a crack pressure, others are a fixed orifice, some are a combo of fixed orifice with check valve.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

TBH, I didn't even know the PVC valve was anything more than a 1way check valve. I always assumed the OEM valve was just a ball and spring. But that would be perfect since I have the Radium catch can right there.
Yup, PCV are designed to operate within a specific range of flow/vacuum for the application so that you don't get too much air and cause symptoms like what you're seeing. I'd bet it would help a lot, seems you are pulling too much air through the intake and valve cover.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Turns out a single spal 12" mounted directly to OEM radiator isn't enough to keep temps in check once everything heat soaks and dual driving.

Temps would actually drop back to 90c while moving on course but as soon as we got back to grid, even with me spraying the radiator and oil cooler, would creep up to over 100c idling. If I shut the car off, we were having hot start issues because something isnt tuned right for 110c restart. 110c because the coolant just heat soaked the engine block sitting there. Issues I of course have never had before with the stock fan and was told this would likely happen .

Was totally fine solo driving sunday though. Minus the check valve thing. Time to order the CSF full size slim to go on before nats.
I had a hard time keeping the car cool with a single slim fan as well. I couldn’t find much info with actual numbers but many were saying the stock fan flows something like ~3000cfm

Haven’t had issues since going back to stock fan.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Siluck2
I had a hard time keeping the car cool with a single slim fan as well. I couldn’t find much info with actual numbers but many were saying the stock fan flows something like ~3000cfm

Haven’t had issues since going back to stock fan.
Lol, I was going to message you this weekend saying "you told me so!"... But then I started drinking

I remember you telling me that it didnt work for you but wanted to try it myself before buying the CSF rad to get rid of the OEM plastic liability.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

If you've deleted AC, and the condenser fan, you should add a pusher fan to the passenger side of the radiator. The OEM fan strategy runs the condenser fan when coolant temps get thigh enough for extra airflow (or wherever you set them too).
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 07:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Drinking is always the best course of action.

To add to Sean, if you've deleted your condenser there are very large gaps on either side of the radiator. Either plug it with foam or make some flashing to seal it off.
Old Aug 6, 2024 | 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
The OEM fan strategy runs the condenser fan when coolant temps get thigh enough for extra airflow (or wherever you set them too).
I thought it worked that way but mine runs at the same time. maybe at a lower speed than when AC is on
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Lol, I was going to message you this weekend saying "you told me so!"... But then I started drinking

I remember you telling me that it didnt work for you but wanted to try it myself before buying the CSF rad to get rid of the OEM plastic liability.
I respect your commitment to science.

The following users liked this post:
Terror Rising (Aug 7, 2024)
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I thought it worked that way but mine runs at the same time. maybe at a lower speed than when AC is on
Every car I tune they're set to come on at 180*F, and have 100% duty cycle by 195. it's been so long I don't actually remember what the stock fan settings are.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Aug 7, 2024)
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Every car I tune they're set to come on at 180*F, and have 100% duty cycle by 195. it's been so long I don't actually remember what the stock fan settings are.
Honestly I think it might have changed at some point for my car. I just dont recall all these fan noises back when it was all stock.
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Speed sensors and acd

Can anyone tell me if the ACD processes the wheel speed and other sensors. Say if i have a slight tire rub at rear, will the acd do something abruptly, like transfer power to the front then to the rear again several times until the theres no more tire rub?
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 11:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
Drinking is always the best course of action.

To add to Sean, if you've deleted your condenser there are very large gaps on either side of the radiator. Either plug it with foam or make some flashing to seal it off.
I think this made the biggest difference. Flashing off the edges around the radiator up to the bumper so it draws air from the bumper not the engine bay thru the fan. Aside from going away from cheap radiator and using a proper branded one.
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
are you guys running coolant or water?
Ive run redline water wetter and motul mo cool. they do help a small amount but back on coolant now. Other things like shrouding the radiator properly etc make more difference.
Old Aug 7, 2024 | 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

I heard track rats should run water so they dont mess up the trackday for everyone I have ran water for track events just in case. the stares get to me

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?