Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019 | 02:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Tearing down my trans is one of the only things I havent had the guts to do. Anything else is NBD but the trans seems to have so many little bit I wouldnt even know if it got lost.

Ive never stripped the shafts off a stock synchro box itself. Ive had a stock box apart plenty of times its really quite basic. I guess if u did wana strip it down just take lots of photos and make sure u put everything in order of how u removed it and then u just reverse it when u put it together.

Ive stripped my dogboxes plenty of times they are simple but alot less bits too i guess. Engines are more complex than trannys IMO
Old Jul 16, 2019 | 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

::likely a coincidental sensor fail - will find out this weekend

test drove the evo after egr sandwich install and...

afr gauge seems busted. it's just bouncing around between 14.7-14.9, even when i'm off throttle in gear (car should go lean) give it some throttle (should richen up). it even bounces between 14.7-14.9 when the car is off but accessories are on.

no other changes between that from getting that installed and dc'ing and reconnecting the battery & uicp, the former of which i've done dozens of times. what gives? seems like one hell of a coincidence:

Last edited by kyoo; Jul 16, 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2019 | 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Def a problem with a the wideband. You either somehow disturbed some of the wiring for it (like the ground is now meh) or the sensor went bad. Key on engine off it should eventually peg lean.

Those sensors definitely do go bad occasionally.

Dallas- The trans isn't scary. Nothing "falls out" when you're taking it apart (except for TRE's first gear idler bearing, but that's not a big deal) so it's pretty easy to account for everything. If you can do an engine you can do a trans. The most annoying thing is measuring the shims needed for proper bearing preload by using solder. That seems to take me 10 tries to get right every time lol. But you only have to do that if you replaced a bearing or something in the gear stack that takes up space.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jul 17, 2019)
Old Jul 17, 2019 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Def a problem with a the wideband. You either somehow disturbed some of the wiring for it (like the ground is now meh) or the sensor went bad. Key on engine off it should eventually peg lean.

Those sensors definitely do go bad occasionally.

Dallas- The trans isn't scary. Nothing "falls out" when you're taking it apart (except for TRE's first gear idler bearing, but that's not a big deal) so it's pretty easy to account for everything. If you can do an engine you can do a trans. The most annoying thing is measuring the shims needed for proper bearing preload by using solder. That seems to take me 10 tries to get right every time lol. But you only have to do that if you replaced a bearing or something in the gear stack that takes up space.
thanks sean - i think it's the o2 sensor, and it actually may have happened during the autox over the weekend - ordered a new sensor, will install this weekend
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
More of my car is on the garage floor than installed currently.

Place is a mess. engine is stripped and under the silver bag. Gearbox is half stripped. Good times!

Bearings should be on my doorstep today sometime so can start reassembling the engine. Just need to decide what colour to powdercoat my rocker cover

That tranny....drool
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well. I just got a new summer project for myself - front control arm! fix. Two bolts that hold the sway bar end link bracket both snapped off when taking the bracket off! Those were supposed to be hardened bolts (by its OEM stamp), but didn't look that way at all. Now, one is all the way in, while the other started to come up. What to do here?
Options:
  1. attempt to take those out with option to try it while on the car or take the arm out and do it on the bench.
  2. get a new arm - this one is interesting. Dealer wants over $600 for it. E-bay has some and prices are running from $100 to $250.
So, this piece looks like hard aluminum and one thing I don't know is whether it would loose any hardness if heated up. I am thinking heat would be the best bet to help loosen the connection between the aluminum thread and steel bolt, but I am not sure for any side effects from the heat.

Anyone done anything like this before for some more info/ideas?

Thanks guys!

Here are the pictures:

This second picture was taken before I broke top bolt, so it is almost flashed with the bottom of the bar
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Rost off (wurth) and vice grips? Looks like you luckily have quite a bit of meat there to grab.
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Rost off (wurth) and vice grips? Looks like you luckily have quite a bit of meat there to grab.
I think there is some left to work with....the main question is still whether heat will affect Al as it would treated steel?
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

I have an X arm from when I made the billet version, I can check if its the same side. Can probably ship that out for $75 if the right one.
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I have an X arm from when I made the billet version, I can check if its the same side. Can probably ship that out for $75 if the right one.
That would be a blessing!

Do you know if heat would affect that aluminum in any way?

Fedja
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

I would def not heat up a forged aluminum arm.

You could drill and install helicoils, or just replace the arm. New arm is the easy button if you can find one in the $100-150 range.
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I would def not heat up a forged aluminum arm.

You could drill and install helicoils, or just replace the arm. New arm is the easy button if you can find one in the $100-150 range.
There are some on E-bay, but big round bushings at the end are questionable. Is that part serviceable? Could we just replace it with the new that is the same type?
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

You can OEM replacements that are polyurethane. Not sure if that's legal in your autocross class though.
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Fedja- we should be able to weld a nut to that and extract it. Usually the heat from welding helps to break the seize and then you have something nice to grab onto with a wrench. If you want to pop off the arm and swing down lemme know!

EDIT: I know you have reservations about heat but Im not sure the focused heat from welding will do much of anything to compromise the structure of the arm. I think a quick zap and the heat will be focused on the fastener. Now, torching it on the other hand I personally in this case wouldnt love the idea but a quick hit with the welder should be fine IMO. I used this method to extract snapped exhaust manifold studs in my truck with AL heads.

Last edited by heel2toe; Jul 23, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2019 | 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

You can OEM replacements that are polyurethane. Not sure if that's legal in your autocross class though.
Yup, that would not make it legal for Street class...

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?