Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019 | 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Do you guys think the car would be more repairable after a track crash if it had a full cage? I’ve seen caged cars take some pretty big impacts and look remarkably intact afterward.
it is not only about crashing. A good cage will be fully welded to all shock towers and the shell will be seamwelded. Stock shells with no cages will quickly weaken on a track car with slicks..
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Sep 24, 2019)
Old Sep 24, 2019 | 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2v1xqInl8L/

Re assembled my sequential last night and bolted it all together, had to strip it down as the magnet had fell out of the drain plug and a slither of metal had got caught inside the selector drum and burred it. had to strip down and remove the burrs and modena asked me to clearance the barrels of the shifter forks by .1mm while they were out as they have changed their measurements post my version.

I really really need to get my hands on a pair of axles!! Does anybody have any lying round or have contacts with TRE or anything?
I've noticed he's pretty decent at answering messages on Instagram. You can try that.
Old Sep 30, 2019 | 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Well I almost had the T-case out last night (and engine/trans fully prepped to remove). Last thing I did before pulling axles and the case bolts was oil but this little feller was on the T-case magnet (closer and zoomed in pic from my IG/FB pic). If it weren't for driveshaft being a bit of a pain coming of the T-case for whatever reason I would have had it apart last night.

We're pretty sure its a tab from the ACD clutch but no clue why it would broken. Nothing was forced during any assembly with the front diff.

Old Sep 30, 2019 | 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Ya curious, it's got those sratches in it all going one direction so it could deff be friction material.
Old Sep 30, 2019 | 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

emergency:

jon forgot to send back the bolts that hold the carrier arms to the carrier. does anyone know what the specs on these are? length, pitch, strength, all that bs? i got completed ****ed here, this is my one and only day to get this thing installed

Old Sep 30, 2019 | 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Should be able to measure it's diameter pretty easy with some calipers. Probably m10x1.25. Length you can use use anything about 15mm longer than the thickness of the bracket (to get 15mm of engagement).
Old Sep 30, 2019 | 06:11 PM
EvoM Guru

i can measure mine in a couple hours when im home for ya
Old Sep 30, 2019 | 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

it's okay - i'm asking jon to same-day these tomorrow and moving my schedule around, hoping i can get my other work done in time to have time to do the diff tomrorow
Old Sep 30, 2019 | 10:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Welp, looks like we put some load and wear on these things over the last 10 years. Here's the ACD plate that broke. It was the only one that showed damage but best guess is with a weak rear and nearly useless front combined with wheel hop on throttle out of corners and 315 tires, there's a fair bit of shock that probably goes through the center diff. This wasn't the last plate but it was the 2nd to last and last one with teeth on the inside.

On the front diff plates, those should have more groves on them but I'm not sure they looked like the new pics they show. I don't remember exactly but I don't think they were grooved nearly as deep as the pic of new disks would indicate. Maybe its a new version? But there are definitely 2 plates with broken teeth on the inside and it was the end disk towards the inside on both sides.

The teeth from the ACD definitely created some gouges on the end housing. Probably could replace the disks and send it but that's not a great way to build in reliability. So will have to figure out if I just send the whole thing in and have Jon go thru it, or if I buy one that just popped up that's a fresh rebuild from Shep. Having a spare would be nice, but I don't think this is quite spare quality with out more intensive work.

alpinaturbo (Oct 2, 2019)
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 06:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Yikes. I'd imagine a lot of that abuse is from pro solo starts. Launches on cold slicks is a nightmare for drivetrain components.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

looking at this I am more then ever sure about the decision to mod the transfer box and have the front plate diff run the same oil as transfer and save the gearbox from all the debris..
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
looking at this I am more then ever sure about the decision to mod the transfer box and have the front plate diff run the same oil as transfer and save the gearbox from all the debris..
Looking at the oil that came out of my trans, I was thinking about how can I filter this stuff as I go. But in reality, its just easier (and lighter) to change the fluid more frequently.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah,

I was just wondering how the 5 spd will shift with LS fluid inside really.. and also, those 2 plate diffs should really live together and share oil.. it is logical..
On the X it is done like that (front and transfer share the same oil) but x has a larger transfer box and once you mod the e9 transfer it is basically irreversible.... but doable.. Just needs some O rings inside to seal off the central diff from the gearbox..
alpinaturbo (Oct 2, 2019)
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Just checked my dates on things, its been 6 years since the T-case has been rebuilt and 4 years on the front diff and Im assuming these things all broke this year since fluid change before the season didn't indicate any issues. Id say thats not bad, probably 750-1000 autox runs. Less than 100 are ProSolo.

Waiting to hear back from Mfactory to see if they have a newer or more durable disc setup or if I need to just bite the bullet and order the Cusco. Even if the Mfactory can hold out for 2 years it'll help with my plans.
Old Oct 1, 2019 | 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't Jon say it was the Syncro's that couldn't survive the LS fluid or something?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?