Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020 | 12:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Tell that to monster jam guys. My coworker rebuilds tons of their motors and I can confidently say it's the jankiest 2500hp I've ever heard of. Blocks with 5-6 different sized cylinders. Some cylinders have been sleeved multiple times while others have never been sleeved. Decks sometimes shaved, sometimes not. Mixed fastener sizes for head studs because of failed time serts or helicoils if they're extra cheap. Short of the block splitting in half, which does happen lol, they'll always keep rebuilding **** with minimal effort and cost.
That's cool. They only have to run for 90-12" seconds at a time and most of they time they actually run that long they start having problems. Oh, and they probably bring spares.

That kinda bull**** does not belong in a legitimate vehicle.
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
How may miles on the timing belt? How many years old? Replacing interval is 5yrs or 60k. Most people don't know or understand the 5yrs part.
I am guessing this 5 year or 60k is for 4G63 engines. Anyone knows what EVO X intervals are for those chains?
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 07:46 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

That's pretty severe. Like, the piston that broke the valve off isn't going to be in good shape. I would pull the pan and inspect rod bearings at min, but I'd still be hesitant to move forward with the short block with that piston like that.

How may miles on the timing belt? How many years old? Replacing interval is 5yrs or 60k. Most people don't know or understand the 5yrs part.
Was getting close to both limits. Car is a little over 118k miles and its been close to five years since ER did my last timing belt job. The belt snapped almost clean across.

That piston is definitely not in good shape. The only moving forward I would be doing at a minimum would be replacing all four rods and pistons. The cylinder walls look ok but I'd definitely get them inspected before doing drop ins. I'm leaning more towards just doing the 2.4 LR build I've been planning for a while since this **** is already apart. Only issue now is money.
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
I am guessing this 5 year or 60k is for 4G63 engines. Anyone knows what EVO X intervals are for those chains?
I'm pretty sure the chains don't need changing unless they stretch. I think there was issues with the first couple of model year X chains that made them prone to stretching but the chain was revised in like 2010 or 2011 (can't remember).
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I'm pretty sure the chains don't need changing unless they stretch. I think there was issues with the first couple of model year X chains that made them prone to stretching but the chain was revised in like 2010 or 2011 (can't remember).
Yup, there was a recall back than when they replaced some of that stuff. Still, I am not sure if there is a set interval for those on when they need to be changed/checked at least...
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
There is not a replacement interval for the chain in the 4b11 that I'm aware of. It's not in the service schedule in All Data, but the timing belt for the 4g63 is.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 23, 2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

There is not a replacement interval for the chain in the 4b11 that I'm aware of. It's not in the service schedule in All Data, but the timing for the 4g63 is.
Thank you!!
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Was getting close to both limits. Car is a little over 118k miles and its been close to five years since ER did my last timing belt job. The belt snapped almost clean across.

That piston is definitely not in good shape. The only moving forward I would be doing at a minimum would be replacing all four rods and pistons. The cylinder walls look ok but I'd definitely get them inspected before doing drop ins. I'm leaning more towards just doing the 2.4 LR build I've been planning for a while since this **** is already apart. Only issue now is money.
At 120k, I wouldnt do a new pistons/rings without at least a full teardown and honing the cylinders are a machine shop.

Your head looks salvageable if you send it somewhere that knows what they're doing to repair it. I'd suggest head games.

If you just did a rod/piston build and labor yourself, you'll prob be in it less than $6k. Another grand if you get a 4g64 block and the other needed parts to go with it.
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

At 120k, I wouldnt do a new pistons/rings without at least a full teardown and honing the cylinders are a machine shop.

Your head looks salvageable if you send it somewhere that knows what they're doing to repair it. I'd suggest head games.

If you just did a rod/piston build and labor yourself, you'll prob be in it less than $6k. Another grand if you get a 4g64 block and the other needed parts to go with it.
Looks like I'll be going the 4G64 route. Price is about what I figured. I got a good hookup so I'll be able to cut that price down a bit hopefully. Will likely be doing the swap in my garage.
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 08:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Got my diffs back. Now I can get back to assembly to put some miles on the new R&P, clutch LSD discs, and exedy twin before ripping in april. 500-1000 miles will be tough, I usually only put about 1000mi on the car in a full year which is all on track.

View this post on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jan 24, 2020)
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

question on boost in cold weather - i've got a tune on the golf r that is supposed to see 22psi, which only sees 17psi - people on the golf forum say you will see less boost when it's cold outside - i've never heard of that before, is that true?
Old Jan 23, 2020 | 11:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
question on boost in cold weather - i've got a tune on the golf r that is supposed to see 22psi, which only sees 17psi - people on the golf forum say you will see less boost when it's cold outside - i've never heard of that before, is that true?
I would ask the tuner. I'm not familiar with how that car does boost/Baro/temp compensation.
kyoo (Jan 24, 2020)
Old Jan 24, 2020 | 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
If they measure amount of air that gets in, running the car at cooler temps would get you the same number at lower pressure.
kyoo (Jan 24, 2020)
Old Jan 24, 2020 | 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, VW's are MAF based with a complex ECU I could totally see the ECU making boost comps for this stuff.

Maybe @razorlab knows?

Edited to actually tag razor because apparently none of the new VBulletin functions work on the garage talk app.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:19 AM.
kyoo (Jan 24, 2020)
Old Jan 24, 2020 | 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

makes sense.

going back to the evo, i still haven't gotten to further diagnosing the noise, but I am pressing forward with pre-crash plans, including swapping in a superpro steering precision bushing - i think the WL one is junk. While we're going to have the subframe down, I think im going to go BACK to the stock front sway bar - I haven't been crazy about the handling on the evo since the FSB, even with a larger RSB the front end never felt as responsive. The FSB was a result of all the talk about how for mcstrut, it can help maintain camber, and while that might be true I don't know if there's a ton of actual benefit there. thoughts?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?