Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020 | 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Would like to see one of us get ahold of a evo6 chassis and do a 9 LHD drivetrain build with it. Racefab has most of the parts already. Would be wicked light and nimble. Even better get the engine mounted longitude style as a bolt in kit.
When I get a bigger garage, I want to do a 2 door mirage Evo 6 conversion with Evo 9 drivetrain
Old May 6, 2020 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
that is actually quite similar to what is done in europe with "proto" cars... Basically those are rally cars built on a shortened evo 9 chassis with more modern body, like ford fiesta or vw polo. It is a cheap way to get a more modern looking 4x4 rally car but without the R5 costs. The wheelbase and weight is similar to an evo 6 actually. Sad reality is that a "normal" evo 9 is usually faster.
Having said that I would love an evo 5 with e9 mechanicals...
So a tubular chassis built specifically, with a glass racing body, and evo9 drivetrain, is ....slower....then a unibody full weight 9. Someone's doing it wrong lol.
Old May 6, 2020 | 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

LHD evo 6 exists. Just very very very rare.
Old May 6, 2020 | 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

So a tubular chassis built specifically, with a glass racing body, and evo9 drivetrain, is ....slower....then a unibody full weight 9. Someone's doing it wrong lol.
No, it is not a tubular chassis... By rules it is a shortened OEM e9 floorpan, FIA spec cage and steel upper body from fiesta/polo/etc. Plastic bodywork is wing extensions and bumpers only. Problem with these cars is shorter wheelbase, which is not always a benefit, the fact that they run "normal" evo grN suspension, and not something better with more travel, and in the end are not significantly lighter than a normal rally evo.

Additionaly, these cars are a work of a small team and not a factory prepped car. That might be the key.

Now, a tubular chassis evo... huh..
Old May 6, 2020 | 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
LHD evo 6 exists. Just very very very rare.
there is a guy in this topic with one...
Hell, even my friend in croatia has one.... it is a TME even.. .
Old May 6, 2020 | 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

We should ..a....arrange to ....see said TME haha. Oh look at the birdie over there ....scccrrrreeechhhhh. It'd be one of those Street vs Race conflicts for sure. I'd likely gut and cage it, it's not like the e6 interior was something to write home about lol.

I "thought" JRD was doing tubular ones back when but someone reminded me that they're made for the unibody still. I don't see why it'd be all that difficult. Hoonigan style isn't all that complex. If you "had" to you could even get a universal AWD system for it and do the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
Old May 6, 2020 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

there is a guy in this topic with one... .
Hah gee I wonder who that fella is

I think everyone here in the states would love a CP bc it has that current unobtainable status. What is different from the V to the VI? Not knowing the specifics they seem similar but I'd venture a guess that the V's will go for much less than the VI's once they are available stateside.
Old May 6, 2020 | 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

We should ..a....arrange to ....see said TME haha. Oh look at the birdie over there ....scccrrrreeechhhhh. It'd be one of those Street vs Race conflicts for sure. I'd likely gut and cage it, it's not like the e6 interior was something to write home about lol.

I "thought" JRD was doing tubular ones back when but someone reminded me that they're made for the unibody still. I don't see why it'd be all that difficult. Hoonigan style isn't all that complex. If you "had" to you could even get a universal AWD system for it and do the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
Sure, tube frame is a logical way, it is just a matter of rules..

speaking of 6's.. here is one I shot last month... RHD because it is a UK car that came to Croatia for a bit of restoration..

Old May 6, 2020 | 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Hah gee I wonder who that fella is

I think everyone here in the states would love a CP bc it has that current unobtainable status. What is different from the V to the VI? Not knowing the specifics they seem similar but I'd venture a guess that the V's will go for much less than the VI's once they are available stateside.
I prefer V's because that front bumper is just badass... The differences between 4 and 5/6 are in width obviously and alloy suspension components. 5 to 6? Apart from front bumpers those are quite similar. There were some differences on the front suspension design, even between "normal" 6 and TME, with changes in lower balljoint location and roll centre. TME also had a special turbo...
Big money car is evo 6 TME obviously, and 6 RS if you can find it. From my perspective, any 5 is great, as you can throw in e9 drivetrain with minimal mods. But, LHD 5's are almost non existent. Cheap one is e4, and looks like a great buy.
Old May 6, 2020 | 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Sure, tube frame is a logical way, it is just a matter of rules..

speaking of 6's.. here is one I shot last month... RHD because it is a UK car that came to Croatia for a bit of restoration..

damn. is croatia LHD? Do they have evo 6's? asking for a friend... (asking for myself)
Old May 6, 2020 | 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Also part of the "Really wants a LHD Evo 6 unicorn" crew.
Old May 6, 2020 | 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

can we set up a group buy? lmao. Germany def has LHD evo 6s
Old May 6, 2020 | 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Wow that is gorgeous! Whoever restored that appears to have done a fantastic job...you got any before pictures?

Last edited by heel2toe; May 6, 2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 6, 2020 | 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
damn. is croatia LHD? Do they have evo 6's? asking for a friend... (asking for myself)
yes, we are LHD..
A friend of mine over here just bought a 30000 km evo 6 TME that sat in a yard for the past xx years.. needs some TLC. We have another TME that is full of rust and I know of another evo 6 GSR. There are some LHD 6's in europe, mostly germany and switzerland.. Also there are a few rally cars..
Interestingly enough, and I have lots of RS discussions with my friend alpina, over here the RS models were bought mostly to be transformed into rallycars and they were significantly cheaper than the "normal" models. Some were used as training cars, and they did not have much of an everyday driver rep because of the short gearing. These days RS models are all the rage... hahaahaha
Old May 6, 2020 | 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Wow that is gorgeous! Whoever restored that appears to have done a fantastic job...you got any before pictures?
here: http://www.facebook.com/AutoPartesRe...65267553685879

the car was in a really good shape... no welding nedeed... even the ayc pump was fine.
These guys just did a cleanup and new underseal on my mates evo 9 and are doing my shell now..

Last edited by kikiturbo; May 6, 2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Fall Projects?