Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
The problem with trail braking up to the apex is you overload the front tires and sacrafice lateral accel. You have to free the car up before the apex or you are going slower than necessary. If I'm not 100% off the brakes and using only tire scrub and trailing throttle to modulate speed and balance by about 1/3 through the corner I would consider that over driving.

If you have to keep a toe on the brakes all the way to the apex to manage understeer you have a setup problem IMO. My goal is to make adjustments using the correct "knob". Meaning use the brakes for braking, use the diffs to limit wheelspin, use the suspension to adjust handling and don't use the brakes to adjust handling, or the suspension to limit wheelspin.
The following 2 users liked this post by griceiv:
alpinaturbo (Jun 25, 2020), Construct (Jun 25, 2020)
Old Jun 25, 2020, 07:29 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
The problem with trail braking up to the apex is you overload the front tires and sacrafice lateral accel. You have to free the car up before the apex or you are going slower than necessary. If I'm not 100% off the brakes and using only tire scrub and trailing throttle to modulate speed and balance by about 1/3 through the corner I would consider that over driving.
This has always been my experience too, AWD is just too front heavy already to tolerate trail braking and probably why I suck at it when I get into something that needs it to get rotating like a muscle car.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Yeah, I find trail braking certainly helps a lot more in cars that aren't already 58-60% front heavy. In the Evo I just concentrate on smoothly releasing the brakes as i turn in, but I've never found it to need brake input all the way to the apex. If I have to trail the brakes too much in the Evo, it usually just pushes. No brakes and max effort turn, the front bump is already just about on the ground. Not sure how brakes are gonna help with "more" weight transfer. Sure, it "might" get more weight on the inside front, but its also make the outside front try do more work which is already at the limit. I feel like it's robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
If you're still building the car for street class here's everything you need to make an evo as competitive as possible with aero:
- evo 7 rear wing
- factory rear wing gurney
- evo 9 zero lift air dam
- MR roof vortex generator
- trimmed rear bumper
if you're talking to me, yea i am/have. i have most of that stuff except the evo 7 wing, i did get an 8 wing for stronger cf though. i'm not too worried about that part of it.

the only thing i'm not doing is e85. may be tricky with the competition, but i'm not going to expect to podium here. rwd balance really dominates the autobahn courses. i hope to do well among the street awd cars though, again may be challenging without e85.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
If you're still building the car for street class here's everything you need to make an evo as competitive as possible with aero:
- evo 7 rear wing
- factory rear wing gurney
- evo 9 zero lift air dam
- MR roof vortex generator
- trimmed rear bumper
Does the Evo7 wing make more downforce?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Does the Evo7 wing make more downforce?

I'm not sure of the numbers but the VII wing was adjustable so it probably can.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

quick q - my rear door handle is loose - couldn't find an up to date thread with pics, how many screws hold the rear door panel on?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Evo 7 wing is adjustable and there's nothing in the rules that says there's any limit on adjustments.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Got some basic videos done from last week's race, posted in the Nasa thread. I had some wiring issues so I didn't get much accurate data in and I was more interested in getting them uploaded rather then geeking them out just to see the obvious oil pressure drops. Trail braking on a course like road atlanta with it's "hill crest turn-in's" is generally a bad idea even in the Evo as it forces you to track out a LOT further then you intend for the reasons explained by our two AX champs before you can get back on the gas. I agree setup for the turn is key - with modulation and the Evo's natural ability to get on the gas harder and sooner then our Porsche and muscle car competition who have to wait UNTIL the apex to begin.

I was approached by AiM reps who were interested in working with us, so I may have a turn-key DL1 available for you guys later on if interested.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 08:37 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
by our two AX champs

(Marshal and I did this last year after he beat me in my car )
Old Jun 25, 2020, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

i guess what i'm maintaining is, if you're getting on the gas early/before the apex, you've overslowed for the corner.

and by "i" - i mean literally professional race car drivers who have broken down my laps corner by corner - BUT, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
i guess what i'm maintaining is, if you're getting on the gas early/before the apex, you've overslowed for the corner.

and by "i" - i mean literally professional race car drivers who have broken down my laps corner by corner - BUT, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
You're forgetting our cars have a ~.2-.3 transient response time to build boost back up after being off throttle. The point is to be in the throttle before the apex and have full power by the apex.
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Jun 26, 2020)
Old Jun 26, 2020, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

(Marshal and I did this last year after he beat me in my car )
Well you won the year before so that counts lol.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 08:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're forgetting our cars have a ~.2-.3 transient response time to build boost back up after being off throttle. The point is to be in the throttle before the apex and have full power by the apex.
I try to time my throttle application so I can start unwinding the steering wheel as the boost comes in.

At minimum, I need to have some throttle application coming up to the apex to prevent the engine braking from bleeding off speed and shifting weight even further forward.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
I try to time my throttle application so I can start unwinding the steering wheel as the boost comes in.

At minimum, I need to have some throttle application coming up to the apex to prevent the engine braking from bleeding off speed and shifting weight even further forward.
Yup. My car rotates well coming off the brakes and turning in, time throttle app so boost is coming up at or just past the apex so the car is on power to track out of the corner as you reduce steering. Generally being on power helps maintain the slip angle or even slightly increase so you can reduce steering input quicker and get the car pointed down the straight away sooner as well.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?