Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
18x12's, dry sumps, new engines, every bloody thing cost thousands now lol. Buut it still thousands less then on a Cayman.
The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (Jul 20, 2020)
Old Jul 20, 2020, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
That's big move man. Congrats (I guess) lol

Have fun plumbing it. I enjoy installs like that.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
18x12's, dry sumps, new engines, every bloody thing cost thousands now lol. Buut it still thousands less then on a Cayman.
You aren't lying. And now everything requires expensive supporting mods as well. I swear if I look at my car it costs me $5k. Congrats on the dry sump, too bad it wasn't before this last motor. Gotta love hindsight.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
18x10 with up to 265s is relatively easy on stock control arms. You don't even need to pull the rears if your camber is right. I ran this setup for several years without any rubbing. My setup was:

Rear:
18x10 +38 RPF-1
265/35R18 RE-71Rs
-2.5 camber, zero toe or slight toe out for AutoX
Mild roll to inner fender lip (mine was about 45 degrees bent upward)
5mm spacer (could reduce to 3mm if your tires are narrow enough)
Extended studs / open lugs to get enough thread engagement with the 5mm spacer
Shave ABS mounting bracket flush with control arm to be safe

Front:
18x10 +38 RPF-1
18mm spacer (18-20mm is the sweet spot with this wheel)
-3.2 camber
If you have added caster at the top of the strut, you will need offset LCA bushings to move the wheel forward

Worked great with fender liners installed and everything. It starts to feel like threading the needle when you're adjusting offset by millimeters and camber by fractions of a degree to make it work, but it fits.

Jumping up to taller/wider 275/35R18s has been a headache, but the 265s fit just fine.

I ran 255 RE-71Rs and 265 RE-71Rs back to back one AutoX season. The 265s did have marginally more grip, but they were also ever so slightly slower in a straight line due to the additional height. Top speed was slightly higher, though, so it worked out on most courses. I was shocked that I could actually notice the difference, however small, between the two setups.
oh nice. sounds like there's a tiny bit of wiggle room with that setup. i'll take a look, curious if it'll do me any good over 18x9.5
Old Jul 21, 2020, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's big move man. Congrats (I guess) lol

Have fun plumbing it. I enjoy installs like that.
Ya whole lot of fun lol. Just wrapping my engineering head around the concept took a minute. It'll only be another 1k in hose and fittings haha. I like to use Fragola on everything. As much as stainless hose is a standard, is there really nothing else up to the task?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Ya whole lot of fun lol. Just wrapping my engineering head around the concept took a minute. It'll only be another 1k in hose and fittings haha. I like to use Fragola on everything. As much as stainless hose is a standard, is there really nothing else up to the task?
I hate stainless line, I only use it in spots wear I'm worried about it being abraided. I only use fragola for crank case breathers. Dry sump, transmission and fuel lines I use XRP. Its more expensive, but they also have lightweight hose options and the fittings are much higher quality and lighter weight. Also, even though most hose is "rated" for 28in/hg vacuum, I've seen fragola hose collapse. XRP has speciifc hose for using on the suction side of the dry sump pump, and it also offers a super tight bend radius capability.
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Jul 21, 2020)
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
oh nice. sounds like there's a tiny bit of wiggle room with that setup. i'll take a look, curious if it'll do me any good over 18x9.5
That extra 13mm of wheel width is starting to get into diminishing returns territory. I always prefer the feel of slightly stretched tires. Not sure if it's actually faster, but that extra tightness in the steering and handling feel helps inspire confidence.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If your competing check the rule book. They might require a specific type of line.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I hate stainless line, I only use it in spots wear I'm worried about it being abraided. I only use fragola for crank case breathers. Dry sump, transmission and fuel lines I use XRP. Its more expensive, but they also have lightweight hose options and the fittings are much higher quality and lighter weight. Also, even though most hose is "rated" for 28in/hg vacuum, I've seen fragola hose collapse. XRP has speciifc hose for using on the suction side of the dry sump pump, and it also offers a super tight bend radius capability.
Ya I looked, "metal or braided" if it's anywhere inside the car...sigh. I like Driv's concept of using alum tubing to save money/weight but the fear of bumping/crimping/dropping something on it would steer me away. XRP isn't carried by my usual guys but I'll take a look there as well.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Ya I looked, "metal or braided" if it's anywhere inside the car...sigh. I like Driv's concept of using alum tubing to save money/weight but the fear of bumping/crimping/dropping something on it would steer me away. XRP isn't carried by my usual guys but I'll take a look there as well.
If the oil tank is in the trunk, all the line can be run under the car.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:26 PM

Depending on the rules, I think inside the trunk is still considered inside the car. Maybe not if you install a bulkhead, but again you gotta check the rules.

Or maybe you are just talking about running hard lines under the car, in which case NVM.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Depending on the rules, I think inside the trunk is still considered inside the car. Maybe not if you install a bulkhead, but again you gotta check the rules.

Or maybe you are just talking about running hard lines under the car, in which case NVM.
Inside the truck is not considered inside the passenger compartment. I've never seen a rule book written to say that anyways.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:43 PM

Thats cool, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. NHRA rules require a bulkhead for a lot of things in the trunk. All I said was check the rules, wouldn't expect that to be a controversial bit of advice.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Thats cool, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. NHRA rules require a bulkhead for a lot of things in the trunk. All I said was check the rules, wouldn't expect that to be a controversial bit of advice.
Just saying I've never seen it.

They typically require a firewall (.032 aluminum, good joke) for batteries placed in the rear but make no mention of anything else.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Really the book is a guideline, it all comes down to the official/inspector at the time. I've had some pass me when my fire bottle has been 3 years past due, loose objects scattered throughout, etc and they find just one thing like your window net needs tightened - but they pass you anyway. In other cases I've been ripped apart for stupid things like no safetywire on belt clamps to inspection holes need to be 2 inches from the weld yours is 1 inch and all sorts of craziness that goes beyond the "exact" wording. In this case best to give them no pause esp if you get an old schooler that believes your safety requires an SS line. So we will comply, and likely stick a fire nozzle at it too.

What's the best cutter/tools for the SS?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?