Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I dunno about that. If your moving to 2 pumps then you are either going to an aftermarket fuel hanger or greatly modifying the OEM. Either way you would be removing the OEM filter so you would be required to install an inline filter. The wiring for 2 pumps is a little more extensive than just a single. As far as tuning goes, I can't speak for very large injectors I only run 1200cc, but moving from a single 255 to a 450 only required a little tweak to the hi/low crossover point at lower RPM. I think using less parts to do the same thing is considered more elegant, and generally more reliable.
The way I see this, the single 450 would require the same amount of effort on the rewire and hobbs switch as the double with more current going through the additional wires for the singe 450 than a second 255 (more heat/fire potential), less predictable base fuel pressure, modification to the stock hanger to add a bulkhead fitting to eliminate the internal wiring clips (I don't trust them at higher wattage with some people experiencing melting), modification to the hangar for the siphon, modification to the stock hangar to fit the longer 450 pump (and still questionable clearance between the pump sock and the bottom of the tank).

The double route would require an inline filter (but I want that anyway with the crazy expensive 1650 injectors and more people having issues with E85 fuel), the same amount of rewiring as a single setup with less wattage through the rewire, retain base fuel pressure with stock regulator and unmodified siphon, no worries about pump clearance to the tank. Equal or more headroom for power since I could always up size one or both pumps.

Am I wrong on anything? I know I'm factoring in things on the single route that most people don't consider necessary, but if something can go wrong, it will for me and I'd rather add that fuel filter and bulkhead rewiring on the single.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The way I see this, the single 450 would require the same amount of effort on the rewire and hobbs switch as the double with more current going through the additional wires for the singe 450 than a second 255 (more heat/fire potential), less predictable base fuel pressure, modification to the stock hanger to add a bulkhead fitting to eliminate the internal wiring clips (I don't trust them at higher wattage with some people experiencing melting), modification to the hangar for the siphon, modification to the stock hangar to fit the longer 450 pump (and still questionable clearance between the pump sock and the bottom of the tank).

The double route would require an inline filter (but I want that anyway with the crazy expensive 1650 injectors and more people having issues with E85 fuel), the same amount of rewiring as a single setup with less wattage through the rewire, retain base fuel pressure with stock regulator and unmodified siphon, no worries about pump clearance to the tank. Equal or more headroom for power since I could always up size one or both pumps.

Am I wrong on anything? I know I'm factoring in things on the single route that most people don't consider necessary, but if something can go wrong, it will for me and I'd rather add that fuel filter and bulkhead rewiring on the single.
The pumps need to be on separate circuits. Only one can be hooked up to the OEM wiring or you will be sending power to both during low speed operation and that would be bad. That's what would happen if you hooked them both up to the same hobbs switched triggered relay. So you need to use at least 2 relays and individual power feeds to each pump. You can trigger both relays with one hobbs switch though, and you could feed both relays with one large power feed. I would want to fuse each pump though so your looking at 3 fuses in that scenario, one at the battery and one at each relay. A sufficiently sized ground could be shared by both pumps.

As far as the filter goes, its an inevitability anyway. If your evo lives long enough you will need to eventually replace that OEM filter with something, and its either buy another OEM hanger or add in your own filter. I went the latter route.

If you know what your doing, sizing your wires properly etc. there is no danger of fire from additional current. You really just need to know what you are doing, and if you don't have the humility to recognize that and have a professional do the wiring install. Fires are no joke and a poor install could absolutely result in dying in a fire.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

The pumps need to be on separate circuits. Only one can be hooked up to the OEM wiring or you will be sending power to both during low speed operation and that would be bad. That's what would happen if you hooked them both up to the same hobbs switched triggered relay. So you need to use at least 2 relays and individual power feeds to each pump. You can trigger both relays with one hobbs switch though, and you could feed both relays with one large power feed. I would want to fuse each pump though so your looking at 3 fuses in that scenario, one at the battery and one at each relay. A sufficiently sized ground could be shared by both pumps.

As far as the filter goes, its an inevitability anyway. If your evo lives long enough you will need to eventually replace that OEM filter with something, and its either buy another OEM hanger or add in your own filter. I went the latter route.

If you know what your doing, sizing your wires properly etc. there is no danger of fire from additional current. You really just need to know what you are doing, and if you don't have the humility to recognize that and have a professional do the wiring install. Fires are no joke and a poor install could absolutely result in dying in a fire.
I was assuming that the two pumps in the double would be on separate circuits. Stock wiring for the primary pump and a rewire with Hobbs for the secondary. Maybe I said it wrong in my previous message. I wouldn't need to rewire the primary, I wouldn't think unless I went larger than a 255 primary. So, only one relay to add and the reliability of the stock wiring and lower wattage for the primary. As far as wiring a 450, I would do the bulkhead fitting and run probably 10-12 gauge wire right to the pump directly through a bulkhead fitting (similar to what most double pumpers have), which is a safer route I think than most of the shops are doing where they piggy back on the stock wiring inside the hanger. Honestly, the lowest quality work I've had on any of my cars has been from shops. I don't have an English Racing or a RS Motors where I live, so I tend to do everything myself for peace of mind.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
As I'm looking at what all this stuff costs and the number of parts to replace, plus the potential for having to do extensive low load retuning, I am left wondering whether a 255/255 double pumper might be a more elegant and easier solution. If the Walbro 255 is, as a practical matter, E85 compatible, then it seems like two smaller pumps would be easier than one big one. We don't need to keep this discussion going in the Motorsport forum. It's not really what this forum is about.
Two pumps makes it harder to work on, and has larger potential failure.

You're retuning the car for different injectors anyways, it doesn't matter. It's a whole new tune regardless.

And a single pump setup is way less money.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Okay, you convinced me. Now to find a non-counterfeit Walbro 450lph/274!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

Even just a 255 pulls more power than the stock wires can supply. So just a single 255 install requires a relay/hobbs switch.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I've been on the same 255 with stock wiring for about 13 years now lol.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:53 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I've been on the same 255 with stock wiring for about 13 years now lol.
I've been on mine for about seven or eight years now. And had them on all my other cars. Hm.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:59 AM

I didn't mean it wouldn't work. It's just not optimal. You get voltage drop with stock wiring and the pump is not performing to its potential.

I guess I should have said "requires to get your moneys worth / full performance"

You could wire up a 450 to the stock wires and it would kinda work, it would just fail at higher demand.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:03 AM
kaj

So, a rewire will get me more HRSPRS???!!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
So, a rewire will get me more HRSPRS???!!
Only if a lack of fuel is whats holding the ponies back. If thats not the case though, the reason to do it is to reduce the heat on the stock wires. The Resistance of the stock wires is what causes the voltage drop which is basically creating heat. That heat will accelerate the degradation of the wires over time.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:37 AM
kaj

Only if a lack of fuel is whats holding the ponies back. If thats not the case though, the reason to do it is to reduce the heat on the stock wires. The Resistance of the stock wires is what causes the voltage drop which is basically creating heat. That heat will accelerate the degradation of the wires over time.
I'd have to review my logs.. it's been about two years. I *think* I ran out of fuel pump, but not sure. I have 1050s on e85 at right around 450whp or so. I don't want to completely tax the system. I wouldn't have a problem if I needed the rewire just to make things easier on the car.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Okay, you convinced me. Now to find a non-counterfeit Walbro 450lph/274!
Order it from a Motorsports vendor. STM, ExtremePSI, etc
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If they have it in stock, a quick look and all my sources say backorder with no eta.

However the black flag version seems to be available. BF450
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
If they have it in stock, a quick look and all my sources say backorder with no eta.
I ordered one from MAP, who claimed to have them.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?