Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I ordered one from MAP, who claimed to have them.
Maybe just the Pump, but none of the kits to go with it it seems. They also get their stuff from T14. Real PITA getting all the little pieces from the "normal" sources.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Maybe just the Pump, but none of the kits to go with it it seems. They also get their stuff from T14. Real PITA getting all the little pieces from the "normal" sources.
Don't need the install kit.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2020 project is to give my wife's IX some TLC:
  1. Fresh Spark Plugs
  2. Fixed the reverse light switch
  3. Refinished the battery holder and base
  4. Fix the AC Compressor clutch
  5. Replace all the water hoses
  6. Installing a new Koyorad Radiator
  7. Swapping all the window trims
  8. New silicone pipe couplers
Next up: hunting down an OEM wing to replace the current one that developed a pretty nasty hole in the carbon fiber
and refinishing the headlights that have faded out and got scratched badly by some detailer -.-
Possibly swapping the floor mat since it developed a crack on the driver side
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ltorres8890
Swapping all the window trims
How much did new window trim cost? Mine aren't too bad, but I've been afraid to check the OEM pricing.

Also, what's your game plan for refinishing the headlights? Mine are finally starting to show hints of haze. I can sand them down, but the real question is how to keep them clear after that. Do you respray with a 2K clear? Or put a clear protective film on it?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I put together my Ohlins this weekend except got stuck on the camber plate bolts not being long enough to mount to the bearing housing. So, longer ones of those are inbound. In the meantime I addressed something that has annoyed me for a while, the bolts on the Ciro wing. I was sick of them protruding so far on the inside of the mounts so I ordered shorter length bolts to clean it up a while ago. I was already in my sweltering garage working on the suspension so I threw the new bolts in while I was there. This is the kind of thing OCD dreams are made of.

Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
bizarre, there should have been plenty of thread
Old Aug 24, 2020, 01:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
How much did new window trim cost? Mine aren't too bad, but I've been afraid to check the OEM pricing.

Also, what's your game plan for refinishing the headlights? Mine are finally starting to show hints of haze. I can sand them down, but the real question is how to keep them clear after that. Do you respray with a 2K clear? Or put a clear protective film on it?
I used this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As per this guy's recommendation:

It worked perfectly. We'll see how long the UV coating works. Also, I put together my own "kit", using 2k clear. I'm going to try that on the Evo.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 02:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct

1) About $50 a piece Over here (Part numbers: MR525755 and MR525756 fronts, MR525757 and MR525758 rears)

Before

After

As for (2), I'm probably hitting them with 1k/2k/3k and then 2K clearcoat it
Might need to do some spots in 800 grit because of the guy that tried to clear them out first leaving some weird "shooting star" scratches on it, kinda like he tried a drill and burned through

Originally Posted by kaj
I used this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As per this guy's recommendation:

https://youtu.be/iDB5U4QUdD0

It worked perfectly. We'll see how long the UV coating works. Also, I put together my own "kit", using 2k clear. I'm going to try that on the Evo.
That looks like a good kit, although I think 400 grit sand paper is INSANE for this.
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Aug 25, 2020)
Old Aug 24, 2020, 03:19 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ltorres8890
1)
That looks like a good kit, although I think 400 grit sand paper is INSANE for this.
I thought so, too, but it took the clear right off. The kit worked perfectly. End result:

Last edited by kaj; Aug 24, 2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
I put together my Ohlins this weekend except got stuck on the camber plate bolts not being long enough to mount to the bearing housing. So, longer ones of those are inbound. In the meantime I addressed something that has annoyed me for a while, the bolts on the Ciro wing. I was sick of them protruding so far on the inside of the mounts so I ordered shorter length bolts to clean it up a while ago. I was already in my sweltering garage working on the suspension so I threw the new bolts in while I was there. This is the kind of thing OCD dreams are made of.

I was supposed to put together my Ohlins for the X this weekend too but didn't get around to it because the kids decided to "drop in". So, which of these bolts didn't work and which did - then specs and where you ordered?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't trying to mislead. My Ohlins are a used set of Flags and I'm putting them on SSB parts. At this point I don't know what was an original Ohlins part and what was not but I know the rears were not. I've got those sorted out and was trying to mount the front and got stuck. The bolts were in the SSB box that had my camber plates in it so I assumed they were correct based on them being in that box, the correct quantity, and the correct button head style. I did not open any of the other boxes to try to sift through all the packages for bolts and don't want to ask Dallas 500 little questions about them. So, I just ordered longer class 10.9 replacements from McMaster-Carr and the extras will go in my bolt caddy with every other size besides this one.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got around to cleaning up my headlights! Heres a before and after. overall i'm happy with the kit that I got, can't even look at the dirty headlight anymore.

Old Aug 24, 2020, 04:29 PM
kaj

In regards to the original topic, I finally installed the X brakes. How crazy that I've been sitting on the parts for two years. After all that time, I opened up the box and realized somebody sold me two passenger-side calipers LOL . Thanks to @yip For hooking me up with another set.
I also reinstalled my undertray until I can finish my splitter. It's kinda getting there, though I trimmed the back a bit shorter then of I'd like. Oops LOL. Now it's "almost" to the front axles.

Old Aug 24, 2020, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
In regards to the original topic, I finally installed the X brakes. How crazy that I've been sitting on the parts for two years. After all that time, I opened up the box and realized somebody sold me two passenger-side calipers LOL . Thanks to @yip For hooking me up with another set.
I also reinstalled my undertray until I can finish my splitter. It's kinda getting there, though I trimmed the back a bit shorter then of I'd like. Oops LOL. Now it's "almost" to the front axles.

Are you planning on installing the splitter with rods or w/o? I would like to do a SE lip and front splitter just like that but I hate the look of the rods (not for high speed racing)
Old Aug 24, 2020, 04:41 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by TurboSid
Are you planning on installing the splitter with rods or w/o? I would like to do a SE lip and front splitter just like that but I hate the look of the rods (not for high speed racing)
Support rods will most likely be a necessity. The lip may not be able to stay. It all depends on if I can get creative with the dam.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?