Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:41 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
It's interesting you mention that. I don't think I need a disc player anymore. I can bury my folio of endless CDs and DVDs. LOL But I'm considering a double-din panel that can display gauges, etc. and relocating the HVAC controls. That's more homework I need to do. I have a Pioneer amp that's been sitting in a box for far too long. Door speakers are the only stock ones so far. I'd like to come up with a removable sub for the trunk probably, too. Factoring in the possibility of a bettery relo instead of this Braille AGM battery I pamper all the time, too.

I make sure my phone has plenty of storage and the family uses Spotify, but I do like falling back to OTA stations from time to time.

Thanks again!
Oh yeah the Digital Receivers still have AM/FM tuners, and there are models that work with satalite/hd radio too. I've been wanting to do an instrument panel for a long time too, if you look into the Auto climate control conversion there is a guy selling kits ( https://www.instagram.com/evo_rare_parts/ ) to do a single or double screen conversion with the controls relocated to the cubby pocket area. I can't vouch for him, but others have bought through him and seemed happy. Not the cheapest but pretty cool IMO. You aren't really going to find a good stereo head unit that will also be a good instrument panel though (AFAIK). There are some off brand double din screens that run android, but these are generally terrible at being good sounding stereos (in my experience anyway), so keeping the two systems separate makes the most sense to me. Hence the double screen kit, one for instruments and one for infotainment/gps etc.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:09 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
CDs? Blast from the past!
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
everything kazz just posted has been a blast from the past lol
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:15 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
Pre 2010 > The past 10yrs, so I'm down with that. I'm waiting for someone to talk about an EXCEDE unit.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:27 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Pre 2010 > The past 10yrs, so I'm down with that. I'm waiting for someone to talk about an EXCEDE unit.
I think that kind of piggyback is obsolete, but if you wanna talk piggybacks making old things new again....

I've got a Holley Dominator Injector driver wired up to the stock ECU allowing it drive my Low-Z injectors in true peak and hold mode. It works great.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 02:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I think that kind of piggyback is obsolete, .
Very, very, very, very much so
Old Sep 15, 2020, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh yeah the Digital Receivers still have AM/FM tuners, and there are models that work with satalite/hd radio too. I've been wanting to do an instrument panel for a long time too, if you look into the Auto climate control conversion there is a guy selling kits ( https://www.instagram.com/evo_rare_parts/ ) to do a single or double screen conversion with the controls relocated to the cubby pocket area. I can't vouch for him, but others have bought through him and seemed happy. Not the cheapest but pretty cool IMO. You aren't really going to find a good stereo head unit that will also be a good instrument panel though (AFAIK). There are some off brand double din screens that run android, but these are generally terrible at being good sounding stereos (in my experience anyway), so keeping the two systems separate makes the most sense to me. Hence the double screen kit, one for instruments and one for infotainment/gps etc.
If there's not a decent amp-driven touch-screen for double-din then I guess it's one row of gauges, one row of head unit and one row of HVAC in my future. The car's way too loud to hear music well, though. It has to push out some decibels just to be heard. LOL It's been a while since I looked for anything Android to put in the dash.

The poor car's been sitting at just under 80K miles for a number of years now. Pretty sad. That's why I'm a bit hyped just to get her on the road again!
Old Sep 15, 2020, 04:30 PM
kaj

FWIW I have just the head unit and a good set of speakers. My car has no cat, no carpet, and no interior from b-pillar back. I can crank it up enough to hear while driving on the freeway. Earplugs help block out car noises, turn up volume to taste.

Plenty of room for HVAC and gauges.

Old Sep 15, 2020, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Sorry to change the subject on you guys. Feel free to ignore this post and carry on. So a couple weeks back my dad got a ZL1 thanks to him actually going to my races and enjoying it. He raced it with me at my last race and did horrible haha. My brother has also gone to the past few races and sure enough, today he shows up to work in a 2014 Z28. Glad to see I am a bad influence on them. Racing truly is addicting.

The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (Sep 15, 2020)
Old Sep 15, 2020, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

just pulled my st43s, they got a little melty. i'm finally swapping the rear pads from girodisc s/s to st43s, hoping that relieves some of the front burden. of course the rears looked perfect with tons of life left.

@letsgetthisdone you run st47s right? may try for the next time.

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 15, 2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 09:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I was on St43's. Wanted to try 47's but they're out of stock. Went with 41's, they're in between the 47 and 43.

I never smeared my 43's like that. Even at 500hp...
Old Sep 16, 2020, 05:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I think checking the alignment is a good starting point. Driver front, pass front, driver rear and pass rear in that order in pics below. 4 track days, a couple of them were 2 day events, and maybe 3-4 autocrosses on these.
Are you rotating the wheels between track days or sessions? The way you listed them sort of suggests you are leaving them in place for multiple days. I always watch them during track days and frequently rotate from front to back and side to side to maximize tire life and keep everything wearing equally.

Old Sep 16, 2020, 05:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
I'm using FP's white rabbit turbo (circa 2005) that they had at 31psi when they tested it.
Very cool to hear that an FP White Rabbit is still ticking. I had one of those installed until 2009. I just ordered a kit from Morrison Fab and they had not even heard of a White Rabbit and they are OG Mitsu folks. Really quick spool-up with the TME hot side. My moment of glory was coming out on top at the Redline Time Attack here in 2008 running a White Rabbit on a tight track. Showed all those fancy (but laggy) big turbo cars from around the country who was boss in Street AWD class!

Originally Posted by kaj
I think that kind of piggyback is obsolete,
Very, very, very, very much so
The Xede was pretty advanced compared to what was around when the Evo came out. My Evo started with an SAFC! Then UTEC. Then Dynoflash. Then finally ECU Flash.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Sep 16, 2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 06:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I'm a big fan of Gloc stuff. I almost squeezed the trigger on some ST43s last year but decided to give the R16 a shot and I don't regret my decision one bit.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Are you rotating the wheels between track days or sessions? The way you listed them sort of suggests you are leaving them in place for multiple days. I always watch them during track days and frequently rotate from front to back and side to side to maximize tire life and keep everything wearing equally.
rotating every event.

alignment scheduled friday, new tires coming today

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?