Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2020, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Stop copying me, I was just sending JRR a message
Well we can learn together
Old Nov 13, 2020, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I just ordered stock to make 5 sets of Aero6 adapters just to have here. Soooo.. .
Really newb question but how do you go about getting your favorite pad compounds to match up to new calipers and rotors? I would hate to not have something you offer for this chassis and I'm in need of rotors anyway...
Old Nov 13, 2020, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
Really newb question but how do you go about getting your favorite pad compounds to match up to new calipers and rotors? I would hate to not have something you offer for this chassis and I'm in need of rotors anyway...
Theres a specific code for the pad that fits the Aero6. I use the thinner pad version which is about the same pad thickness as OEM. The pad thickness matters because it changes the rotor offset. But they're the same pad as some other cars too and about same surface area as OEM.

https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cal...290-RD&appid=0

So pad type is wilwood 6617. I bought a set of XP10's to try out with them (full set of course).
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
I dont know about the US but european carbotech distributor will do any custom pad within reason... I even got them to make me a pad with stainless backing plates that I would send to them.. to bad life had other plans so I cant test that idea sooner..
Old Nov 13, 2020, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

JRR stuff is amazing looking. You guys can start a jrr wiring **** thread if you all go that route.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
well the camber plates weren't arriving in time, so i went ahead and reassembled with the old stuff. i dont think there's anything wrong with it, just kind of beat up. the rubber rings ohlins wants you to use between the spring and the mount at the top had torn, so i replaced both with swift's thrust washers. hopefully that handles some of the noise, which may have been spring binding..

otherwise, car is ready for the next set of mods... dying for another event.. midwest just shuts down between november and march
Old Nov 17, 2020, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

this is what girodisc said w.r.t. the rotors:

At any rate your rotors actually look great and have a lot of life left in them. The microfractures on the surface of the disc are simply a byproduct of rapidly heating and cooling the cast iron but they are 100% superficial and do not effect the integrity of the rotor at all. It’s only an issue if one of the cracks goes out over the edge or opens up to the point where you could easily stick your fingernail between it, if it’s just catching on them it’s a non issue. I say keep beating on them, they have plenty of life left.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Those rotors are fine. I've had every single set of rotors do exactly that. Bad cracks are the ones that go to the edges and you can see them on the side of the rotor. What you have are micro surface cracks and are 100% normal.

Even my huge stoptech trophy rotors do that.

After a couple of sessions at your next event those will go away, then come back when you come back home and the rotor fully cools

Some photos of mine over the years

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 17, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I have had rotors like that many times and, at that point, watch them carefully after every session, inside and outside for a crack that raises safety issues. I hate it. It's always such a good feeling to get new ones on again and not worry so much. The older I get, the earlier I replace them.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Those rotors are fine. I've had every single set of rotors do exactly that. Bad cracks are the ones that go to the edges. What you have are micro surface cracks and are 100% normal.
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I have had rotors like that many times and, at that point, watch them carefully after every session, inside and outside for a crack that raises safety issues. I hate it. It's always such a good feeling to get new ones on again and not worry so much. The older I get, the earlier I replace them.
yea he said even catching the cracks by fingernails is not an issue - only if u can really get a fingernail in there or the crack goes to the edge - which he has said has almost never happened of the course of them selling these rotors.

more or less said that for lower quality rotors, these cracks could be an issue, but normal on theirs and i've got tons of life left on them still. good point on checking the insides, which is going to be tricky to do regularly.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 04:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
So pretty much as everyone has said. Sweet! FWIW, once the cracks got to the point my fingernail caught them, they were to the edges after my next session. Matter of time, I guess. I assume how much time, depends on the material. Mine were Gorodisc.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 05:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Check insides with a telescoping stick mirror and a flashlight.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
well the camber plates weren't arriving in time, so i went ahead and reassembled with the old stuff. i dont think there's anything wrong with it, just kind of beat up. the rubber rings ohlins wants you to use between the spring and the mount at the top had torn, so i replaced both with swift's thrust washers. hopefully that handles some of the noise, which may have been spring binding..

otherwise, car is ready for the next set of mods... dying for another event.. midwest just shuts down between november and march
just affirming here - it was the junk, torn rubber rings ohlins provided. after swapping them out with swift's thrust bearings, all my lock-to-lock popping noise is gone.

what coolant temp should the stock system target once the car is fully warmed up?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Still nothing, did he get back to you?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
just affirming here - it was the junk, torn rubber rings ohlins provided. after swapping them out with swift's thrust bearings, all my lock-to-lock popping noise is gone.

what coolant temp should the stock system target once the car is fully warmed up?
I think around 185-190.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?