Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I feel like a supra is going to need more than just wheels and tires being <400whp. But thats just me.
Tune and e85 should solve the power issue.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
The A91 is super capable, you will be happy with it. They can run 9s on stock turbo so you certainly don't need to do anything wild to make good power. I believe they have some struggles with oil temp on track but that's a problem most performance cars struggle with nowadays. Also, the A91 holds a pretty sharp edge over the A90 with the updated engine.

I totally get the desire for a brand new vehicle. I've combed through my evo to the point there isn't a bolt I haven't touched so there's no more surprises but a month ago I traded my old truck in for a new 2020. Owning something that you know you'll never find stupid surprises from dumbass previous owners is such a good feeling. Best of luck!
Good to hear you have heard good things about them. 500whp would be more than plenty for me and it sounds like its not going to be a problem.

I have been spoiling myself with getting a brand new vehicle every 2-3 years for 10 years in a row. Now its been 5 years since i have had one. Kinda of miss it. Would be nice to start fresh.

I luckily got a low mile stock evo that wasn't molested. I have been through mostly every nut and bolt on it too. Never found one odd or modified thing. Was super nice. Now to undo everything. Glad it all just basic bolt ons.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 08:38 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Lol, if you think that is noisy I'll take a vid of mine once its back together... Oh man, you have no idea what a noisy clutch diff can sound like.

Originally Posted by kyoo
https://youtu.be/_Whq7-3WIO0

jesus

404 not found:

Old Dec 1, 2020, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
The sanction I race with does class by car model, not mods. The 1 restriction is 200TW tires. Anything else goes. AWD/mid/rear engine cars get thrown in the highest class regardless of mods. I am the only 4 cylinder in class with the least HP and smallest tires. I really like the series and dont want to go anywhere else for now. Rather get a car that fits the class better.

I had the list narrowed down to a C7 Grandsport or a 6th gen SS 1LE Camaro. But then I said screw it, I want something brand new so that I know the entire history. So its looking like its going to be a 2021 Supra. Like you said, wheels/tires and send it. Its going to be a big jump in price compared to the Evo but should be well worth it. I figure by the time I put the Evo back to stock, sell it, sell all the parts, its still going to be a $30k upgrade. But I have my other race car that I never use that I will sell to help out as well. So it might end up being an even wash. 2 cars for 1.

I thought about the C8 as well but once you add all the good options, they are like $80k and at least a year out. If you have never driven a mid engine car, it takes some getting used to. Thats part of the reason I never drive my other car. Its just weird on the track being mid engine. I come from the front engine rwd world and miss it.
We just bought (well, ordered) a new car for the next platform to make parts for. Will post as soon as it arrives but supra was on the list but no back seat killed it for us. I think it has great potential as a platform though.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 09:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Lol, if you think that is noisy I'll take a vid of mine once its back together... Oh man, you have no idea what a noisy clutch diff can sound like.
My rear diff is so aggressive I've had people ask me if I have a broken axle while idling through the paddock lol

We just bought (well, ordered) a new car for the next platform to make parts for. Will post as soon as it arrives but supra was on the list but no back seat killed it for us. I think it has great potential as a platform though.
Hmmm 4 door performance car... RS3? CTR? CLA? Stinger?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 09:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Have any of the tuners managed to flash the newer A91 ECUs yet? Last time I checked the newest ECUs had new protections against reflashing that hadn't been reverse engineered yet.

A91 Supra is at the top of my list of replacement cars if something ever happens to the Evo. It's easier to hit high horsepower targets with a stock Supra, but my all-in cost would be much higher. I'd also start to get nervous tracking a brand new, full price car.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
i've been through the cusco (that marshall now uses), the os giken, and now the ats - been through more rear diffs than most people. the os giken and the ats rear diffs are silent. even the cusco quieted down after many miles.

this new front diff front ats is something else. i'm confused though - with minimal preload and 60% plates, why would yours be making so much noise? if you've got the wheel cranked and decelerating, it should be making almost none, no?

obviously i realize aggressive clutch plate diffs can make noise, but when the company emphasizes how it makes no noise or has silent operation over and over, i kind of expect that to be the case.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
A91/z4 just got a massive recall for leaking gas tanks.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
i've been through the cusco (that marshall now uses), the os giken, and now the ats - been through more rear diffs than most people. the os giken and the ats rear diffs are silent. even the cusco quieted down after many miles.

this new front diff front ats is something else. i'm confused though - with minimal preload and 60% plates, why would yours be making so much noise? if you've got the wheel cranked and decelerating, it should be making almost none, no?

obviously i realize aggressive clutch plate diffs can make noise, but when the company emphasizes how it makes no noise or has silent operation over and over, i kind of expect that to be the case.
Off throttle it makes no noise. I haven't checked what the actual preload torque is in mine but will do that this winter. It makes noise once you try to add power but its most likely due to the fluid I have right now. Going to switch to MT90 to hopefully quiet it up. My old M-Factory that broke made no noise at all but I also had only run MT90 thru it. We'll see if that makes much difference. But when I say its loud, everyone around the car stops and looks when come thru or pull out of a parking spot.

I have some noise from the rear, but the front is 2-3x as loud. And like 10x louder than yours in the video.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Off throttle it makes no noise. I haven't checked what the actual preload torque is in mine but will do that this winter. It makes noise once you try to add power but its most likely due to the fluid I have right now. Going to switch to MT90 to hopefully quiet it up. My old M-Factory that broke made no noise at all but I also had only run MT90 thru it. We'll see if that makes much difference. But when I say its loud, everyone around the car stops and looks when come thru or pull out of a parking spot.

I have some noise from the rear, but the front is 2-3x as loud. And like 10x louder than yours in the video.
ok - no noise on decel/off throttle makes sense for 1-way with minimal preload. i've got mt85 in mine right now, i'll see what mt90 does as well. obviously still breaking in too. noise wouldn't be as bad as the violent bangs very reminiscent of the cusco.

i also think minimal preload in the front would make sense - i would rather let the ramp angles and torque handle the plates locking up than having such high preload in the front
Old Dec 2, 2020, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Have any of the tuners managed to flash the newer A91 ECUs yet? Last time I checked the newest ECUs had new protections against reflashing that hadn't been reverse engineered yet.
A91 Supra is at the top of my list of replacement cars if something ever happens to the Evo. It's easier to hit high horsepower targets with a stock Supra, but my all-in cost would be much higher. I'd also start to get nervous tracking a brand new, full price car.
Not sure but I have a good friend that tunes a lot of different kinds of exotics. I am sure he would know for sure. I will have to see what he says.

Originally Posted by Balrok
A91/z4 just got a massive recall for leaking gas tanks.
Good thing it will be a few months before my order goes in. They should have all the little kinks worked out by then,
Old Dec 2, 2020, 09:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
They have bootloader hacks now for the A91. So yes.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
They have bootloader hacks now for the A91. So yes.
As I am reading more into this, only early A91s (made before June 2020) and A90s can be tuned. They are still working on the fix for all the newer ones.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, early A91 batches can be tuned with existing tools.

ECUs manufactured after some time around June 2020 have different protections that haven't been broken yet.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 287 Likes on 219 Posts

did you use normal or LS 75w90 in the gearbox.. with plate diff?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
did you use normal or LS 75w90 in the gearbox.. with plate diff?
Do you mean the NS version? You have to use NS in the transmission or the friction modifier will eat the trans synchros

EDIT: Thinking about it, I cant remember if I used 75w90 or 75w140... Doesnt matter tho, switching to MT90.

Last edited by Dallas J; Dec 2, 2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?