Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Just verified with him we have the GPR package so no locked to one crank trigger. I'll probably order a Kiggly crank trigger to swap in when I replace my front case this winter (a maintenance item after every few years for me...). But stick with OEM for now.
Did he email you any of your files/licenses yet?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
first off we need to get on the same page - that is not a truck. now that we have that out of the way get one of these guys https://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/

i have a 2" and a 2.5" with 600 and 2000lb bars respectively. the 600lb bars work well with an open car trailer. its a game changer.

with the car facing forward id scoot it back a few inches to the end of the trailer.

Originally Posted by kaj

. My issue with the weight distribution hitch is I have zero idea what my tongue weight is and no way to test.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:18 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
first off we need to get on the same page - that is not a truck. now that we have that out of the way get one of these guys https://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/swaypro/

i have a 2" and a 2.5" with 600 and 2000lb bars respectively. the 600lb bars work well with an open car trailer. its a game changer.

with the car facing forward id scoot it back a few inches to the end of the trailer.
I went with a 600lb WD hitch. Should be here in a week. Too late for this trip, but is what it is. I didn't know if I needed a 10k or 8k for gross weight (google was no help), so I flipped a coin and went 8k
I can't really roll the car backward any more. I had to strap to the upper, rear control arms. There is about zero inches left to tighten the straps. I don't have anything further forward to attach to. The trailer deperately needs to be two fee longer. Once I sell this one and get another, I'll be good to go. Until then, here we are...

This is as the car sits now. It's a few inches rearward from the first picture I posted. Now is top, then is bottom. Sliiiiiiight improvement...ish. Airbags are coming in today to help me limp along for my trip. Once the bags are on and filled, I'll adjust the height of the hitch/ball. It should be spot on, we'll see. I test drove the truck last night and it did great. No sway, at any speed, even with the wind. Definite improvement.

Old Apr 21, 2021, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
why not use the t-hook holes that are by the trailing arm mounts so you can push it back further?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 06:48 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
why not use the t-hook holes that are by the trailing arm mounts so you can push it back further?
@griceiv Did you see my post from this last weekend AutoX? Curious your thoughts, if Im on the right track or if you have other suggestions.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 06:50 PM
kaj

I don't have any of those. Not sure where I would look, locally. Then they gotta be compatible with by straps, I guess. Or have to buy new ones. Again😂
Old Apr 21, 2021, 06:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I don't have any of those. Not sure where I would look, locally. Then they gotta be compatible with by straps, I guess. Or have to buy new ones. Again😂
Marshal is referring to t-hooks for the OEM strap down points. I use them up front cause splitter block anything else. But in the rear i run the strap over the subframe which works for my particular setup.

Amazon Amazon
Old Apr 21, 2021, 07:22 PM
kaj

Marshal is referring to t-hooks for the OEM strap down points. I use them up front cause splitter block anything else. But in the rear i run the strap over the subframe which works for my particular setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-11-7...056696&sr=8-56
The reviews say the loop on the end is 1.5". If so, my tie down hooks should fit in there nicely. Now the only questions is: Are my straps long enough to go from my D-ring to the t-hook. I'll go have a look.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

So interesting testing this weekend. We had some really tight corners with digs and I was struggling hard with getting power down on exit with hopping. I have had a few ideas lately of another cause of corner exit and testing this weekend was good learning along with bringing up new questions and thoughts.

Ok, here is my idea of what at least my car is doing. Around apex, Im getting back on throttle heavily which I can do cause my rear diff is extra spicy. I most definitely have inside rear in the air and depending how tight the corner is, it can be very high. When I get on throttle the outside rear slips and lets the inside slam down which has a sudden increase in grip stopping the slide. That sudden increase in grip lets the outside catch and re-lift the inside along rebound pulling it up. That continues till the lateral load doesnt allow the outside to slip.

So the goal needs to be to lift a tire off throttle but have it quickly but gently set back down on throttle so both rear wheels are doing work and not lifting on throttle.

Over the weekend I dropped rear bar rate but before thinking about rebound potentially being a cause I was increasing to compensate trying to keep entry balance. The bar change was pretty much un noticed but the rebound definitely made hopping worse everywhere. I was like 2/24 clicks from full on the flags. So I dropped -12 from full rebound and the change was dramatic. Car was rotating under throttle but pretty much no feel change off throttle.

On my list of internal questions.
  • How do keep minimal wheel lift off throttle, minimal rebound, but also have lift rotation?
  • Can I drop rear bar a lot more to the point rear rebound can be increased for entry but have less effect on exit?
  • Will bumping front rebound help with inside rear drop rate (if one corner goes down the other must come up)?
  • Will Toe-in help with the outside rear slip/hop?
Im still convinced more rear spring is the answer, and toe-in will help that outside not slip as hard.

Next Steps:
  • Put in softer bar that is similar at full stiff than current bar at full soft to play with going even softer
  • Add 1/8" toe-in. Currently at 0.
  • Play with significantly increased front rebound
What I have now is pretty dang good. Its easy to drive, and is just doing almost everything well. But theirs still room for improvement so Im always hunting for that next little bump knowing I have a baseline I can come back to.
Do you log wheel speeds? I've never seen outside wheel slip correlate with the hopping on the Berrymobile. Do you have a shock dyno plot of your shocks at the settings you are using? Think about what happens to your damping when only 3 (or possibly 2) of your wheels are on the ground and then what happens when all of the tires are back on the ground.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Do you log wheel speeds? I've never seen outside wheel slip correlate with the hopping on the Berrymobile. Do you have a shock dyno plot of your shocks at the settings you are using? Think about what happens to your damping when only 3 (or possibly 2) of your wheels are on the ground and then what happens when all of the tires are back on the ground.
I cant log wheel speed yet but will have it soon with the new ECU. But I dont think its a wheel spin issue but more of a lateral slip as the wheel sets down. And a sudden increase in grip force from the inside and higher rebound on the inside wheel pulling it back up creating a situation where it can oscillate.

I need to send my shocks in to get freshened up. But thinking on valving Im guessing when I turn up rebound Im wanting low speed increase and Im instead getting high speed increase or global. From what Ive seen on some Penske valving rebound can be set to adjust the low speed slope with keeping peak forces with minimal change. Of course this is just all Im getting thinking through things in my head but definitely feels like a black art.

Found some video clips of my car on course and in normal situations (not trail braking) the inside rear is at a pretty reasonable level if not actually a bit late to come up. So Im not going to swap to smaller bar and will play with going back to full stiff on the bar, same rebound range, and -1/8in toe in instead of 0 toe.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Lateral slip seems unlikely to be the culprit. if the lateral grip vs slip angle curve of the tires was that peaky I don't think you would be able to save it (think snap oversteer). Tucking the sidewall is probably more likely, IMO. Tire pressures seem to be very involved in the hopping as are shock settings. BTW the high speed valving isn't 'adjustable' on the flags, the knobs are low speed bleeds (needle valves). You can buy the solution we came up with for the Berrymobile. Cusco zero-3X's custom valved by Guy Ankeny.
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Apr 22, 2021)
Old Apr 23, 2021, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The reviews say the loop on the end is 1.5". If so, my tie down hooks should fit in there nicely. Now the only questions is: Are my straps long enough to go from my D-ring to the t-hook. I'll go have a look.
Need I think 12' for those rear points.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
so pretty - can't wait to bolt them in. i think im gonna get the the aluminum brackets, save 10lbs between both sides.

Old Apr 25, 2021, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
I cant log wheel speed yet but will have it soon with the new ECU. But I dont think its a wheel spin issue but more of a lateral slip as the wheel sets down. And a sudden increase in grip force from the inside and higher rebound on the inside wheel pulling it back up creating a situation where it can oscillate.

I need to send my shocks in to get freshened up. But thinking on valving Im guessing when I turn up rebound Im wanting low speed increase and Im instead getting high speed increase or global. From what Ive seen on some Penske valving rebound can be set to adjust the low speed slope with keeping peak forces with minimal change. Of course this is just all Im getting thinking through things in my head but definitely feels like a black art.

Found some video clips of my car on course and in normal situations (not trail braking) the inside rear is at a pretty reasonable level if not actually a bit late to come up. So Im not going to swap to smaller bar and will play with going back to full stiff on the bar, same rebound range, and -1/8in toe in instead of 0 toe.

Hello Everybody havnt been on for a while,

If the inside rear is lifting it means the outside front is diving.

Dropping the rebound will help dampen out the yoyo effect your getting, But this is just putting a bandaid on the issue rather than solving the issue to begin with, you really need to be moving the fast bump/rebound rather than slow also.

Id be looking at trying to stop the outside front from diving so much. More high speed bump on the front or a stiffer spring up front. Loosening up the rear ARB will help to let the suspension move more independantly e.g if your outside rear is compressed and loaded up it is going to stop the inside rear from fully extending and staying on the ground so you can either try and increase the stiffness of the rear to stop the dive on the outside or you soften the rear to allow the inside and outside to move more independently. This would be trial and error to what works and what doesnt.

Maybe more bump travel on the rear and less on the front to try limit the diving is something else to explore? as in get the front to sit on the bump stops alot sooner to try limit the dive. This might induce ****loads of understeer though. Guess it comes down to corner weights also.

Now i feel like im just rambling on about nothing...
Old Apr 25, 2021, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

I actually got some videos of my car on course to watch and see how its acting and in the end, its not lifting really enough or soon enough with the bar on soft and the car is quite flat. The areas the wife was claiming we had big inside life is exactly where i would expect to have it, trail braking into areas where you just cant brake straight. So Im definitely going back to full stiff. Basically I was trying to ramp up rear rebound in an attempt to get a bit more rotation on entry but that seemed to result in occasional exit hop.

As usual, the car is stellar in its standard setup and I just keep trying variations or adjustments to see if we can get it do something different. But the base setup is crazy, Im just always chasing that next little bit of refinement.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?