Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
all the timing stuff was spot on
Put a new omni 4 bar MAP in it if it's on speed density.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 01:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Kyoo align all the timing marks top and bottom make sure it all lines up. Follow the manual sequence as just checking the cams isnt enough.

also check you can put a pin through the hydraulic tensioner hole all the way that will tell you if the tension is off
Old Jun 6, 2021, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
yea i mean the shop was at the event, in addition to a lot of evo builders/owners, they looked at everything you can look at without taking it apart, so that's what is next.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
yea i mean the shop was at the event, in addition to a lot of evo builders/owners, they looked at everything you can look at without taking it apart, so that's what is next.
yep pop the outer timing covers off and the accessory belt + water pump pulley and you can have a good look at all the cambelt timing, need to follow the manual carefully esp around the crank timing marks and the rotating the engine over 3 times and checking the tensioner is still in the right position etc.

it can be 1 tooth out and still run just not well
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Kyoo align all the timing marks top and bottom make sure it all lines up. Follow the manual sequence as just checking the cams isnt enough.

also check you can put a pin through the hydraulic tensioner hole all the way that will tell you if the tension is off
Not sure that you should necessarily be able to have the pin go through freely once the engine has been run some. I think that might only work on the initial install. At a minimum the fit may be very tight after the engine has been run.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

everything with the belts, timing was fine. we pulled it and looked, and all the timing was on. we stuck a thing into the spark plug #1 hole and watched it go up and down as we rotated the crank.

something internal may have happened, though i'm not sure what. yes, racefab + kiggly is not infallible, but still surprised given the levels of this car. i almost think an oil pump failure would be more likely than oil starve from lack of oil in the pan. hopefully asm will tear down the engine this week and we can figure out what the deal was. i only hope there's not **** everywhere necessitating various cleaning and new parts.

Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Sorry. You aren't having the best luck lately with your tow vehicle and now this. What power level was the car at when this happened? And what fuel?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Wrist pin failures don't occur from oil starvation. That's a material fatigue failure or an overload issue. If a wrist pin is moving around 1 of 2 things happened:

1a. Applies to stock bottom end, the press fit was lost on the pin and it's slapping back and forth laterally against the cylinder wall.
1b. Applies to built bottom end, a circlip wasn't fully seated and the pin is moving laterally back and forth against the cylinder wall.

2. The pin has wallowed out the small end of the rod.

1a is something I've never heard of happening and 1b means whoever built the engine shouldn't be building engines or the piston manufacturer had a faulty product. In the case of no. 2 you would be able to hear the noise rolling the engine over by hand when you get to TDC and BDC.

You said you just picked it up from a shop changing cams, I'd be suspect of something in the valvetrain, like if they didn't bleed the lifters properly when doing the cams. Or a rocker wasn't completely seated. Cam caps being insufficiently torqued can make all sorts of wonky sounds. Was the valve cover ever pulled to inspect?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Pull the valve cover before pulling the engine. Thats not bottom end noise.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Sorry. You aren't having the best luck lately with your tow vehicle and now this. What power level was the car at when this happened? And what fuel?
yeah def.

~400whp. e85. redline mix of 30wt and 40wt racing oil. just had s2 cams, gsc springs & retainers, and topline lifters put in, and retuned. no other real work in the motor, besides headstuds. basic bolt ons, no/only factory aero, 200tw 255/35-18 rt660s. ohlins coilovers, 8/12k with stock fsb and whiteline rsb, and a variety of minor bushings. racefab, kiggly, and crank scraper as mentioned. pretty basic build, i am genuinely surprised something happened.

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Wrist pin failures don't occur from oil starvation. That's a material fatigue failure or an overload issue. If a wrist pin is moving around 1 of 2 things happened:

1a. Applies to stock bottom end, the press fit was lost on the pin and it's slapping back and forth laterally against the cylinder wall.
1b. Applies to built bottom end, a circlip wasn't fully seated and the pin is moving laterally back and forth against the cylinder wall.

2. The pin has wallowed out the small end of the rod.

1a is something I've never heard of happening and 1b means whoever built the engine shouldn't be building engines or the piston manufacturer had a faulty product. In the case of no. 2 you would be able to hear the noise rolling the engine over by hand when you get to TDC and BDC.

You said you just picked it up from a shop changing cams, I'd be suspect of something in the valvetrain, like if they didn't bleed the lifters properly when doing the cams. Or a rocker wasn't completely seated. Cam caps being insufficiently torqued can make all sorts of wonky sounds. Was the valve cover ever pulled to inspect?
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Pull the valve cover before pulling the engine. Thats not bottom end noise.
we pulled the valve cover on site, and everything was looked over. it's andy smedegard, i imagine he did everything properly.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah def.

~400whp. e85. redline mix of 30wt and 40wt racing oil. just had s2 cams, gsc springs & retainers, and topline lifters put in, and retuned. no other real work in the motor, besides headstuds. basic bolt ons, no/only factory aero, 200tw 255/35-18 rt660s. ohlins coilovers, 8/12k with stock fsb and whiteline rsb, and a variety of minor bushings. racefab, kiggly, and crank scraper as mentioned. pretty basic build, i am genuinely surprised something happened.

****ing w0t m8
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
****ing w0t m8
i add a qt of 10w40 and 6 qts of 10w30. i used to run just 10w30, started adding their racing 40wt about a year ago to run slightly thicker oil.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

also - the reason we pulled it in to begin with was because the car pulled boost and timing, power was cut while tomo was out driving it. no knock flashes, but not sure why it would do that otherwise.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
If it's a wrist pin issue it can be checked without pulling the engine. As simple as putting a stick down the spark plug hole and seeing if the piston can be pushed down when it's on the downstroke. If the small end of the rod is wallowed out you'll be able to feel the play when you push down. If it's moving laterally and knocking against the wall you'll see if with a borescope and it'll also usually show up on a leak down test.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

i add a qt of 10w40 and 6 qts of 10w30. i used to run just 10w30, started adding their racing 40wt about a year ago to run slightly thicker oil.
That's silly. Just run 10w40 or or a 10-15-20w50 to keep the oil pump happy.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?