Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's silly. Just run 10w40 or or a 10-15-20w50 to keep the oil pump happy.
that's prob what is going to happen after this.

it's out of my hands now, at the shop, doing their thing. as everyone knows mechanical work is not my forte.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
that's prob what is going to happen after this.

it's out of my hands now, at the shop, doing their thing. as everyone knows mechanical work is not my forte.
I think there's some debate on what is the best oil to run on a stock engine. Built engine its 20-50w all day for track but stock engines are generally a lot tighter for clearance. FWIW I spun #4 rod bearing with 20-50w Brad Penn, similar build with bit more tire (275width BFG rivals), custom ACD flash, and no racefab pan / kiggly HLA. There is no magic bullet other than dry sump. Maybe the only thing that might have helped is oil pressure based safety cuts in the ECU. I did note my oil temps was higher with the Brad Penn compared to 10w40.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 04:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
I think there's some debate on what is the best oil to run on a stock engine. Built engine its 20-50w all day for track but stock engines are generally a lot tighter for clearance. FWIW I spun #4 rod bearing with 20-50w Brad Penn, similar build with bit more tire (275width BFG rivals), custom ACD flash, and no racefab pan / kiggly HLA. There is no magic bullet other than dry sump. Maybe the only thing that might have helped is oil pressure based safety cuts in the ECU. I did note my oil temps was higher with the Brad Penn compared to 10w40.
I switched to Amsoil Dominator 15w-50 after following boomn29's stock block Blackstone results. Warning...OG Evo content here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ml#post9523588
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Jun 8, 2021)
Old Jun 8, 2021, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Haha, ah them days. But ya Dom50 for years now on pretty much every flavor of block. I've never spun a bearing but I've melted a piston, does that count lol.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

anyway yeah so i think for now it's just sitting at the shop. i'd love for someone else to take a look at maybe the cams and stuff before we just tear it down but logistically it's just too challenging, especially since he's 7 hours from me.

not sure when he'll get to it, I'm basically just sitting around waiting for a call
Old Jun 8, 2021, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Still got my brand new stroker kit that I am not going to use if you decide to go that route. Hopefully its not bad enough to need a complete rebuild though.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't one of you also get a G25? Thinking of going full vband and ditching all of these bolts that keep jumping around.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
yep you want to be running much thicker oil than that at the track. 10w50 or something. Remember everything gets alot hotter at the track than on the street. also want to be swapping oil every time you go out to the track to be safe too.

I assume you drained the oil and looked for material etc at the time?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think they've done anything yet...

just in case, are there any other evo shops not too far from me in the midwest..? STL area
Old Jun 10, 2021, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Didn't one of you also get a G25? Thinking of going full vband and ditching all of these bolts that keep jumping around.
I'm world's slowest installer, but I'm working on getting my G25-660 installed. Since I got a custom manifold and fully recirculated setup, I need to make all the lines and figure out how to route everything. I'm past the stare and ponder stage, past the making lists of what I need to buy, and actually have most of the fittings and line now, and am in the stage of realizing what does and doesn't fit correctly around my existing parts (e.g., intake pipe, radiator fan, DP to exhaust, etc.). So many hidden costs, but not unexpected.

It would have been a LOT easier to just get the RS Motors Fobia Fab kit, but a EWG dump setup would not fly with inspection and noise concerns (including track) where I live.
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Jun 10, 2021)
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:05 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm world's slowest installer, but I'm working on getting my G25-660 installed. Since I got a custom manifold and fully recirculated setup, I need to make all the lines and figure out how to route everything. I'm past the stare and ponder stage, past the making lists of what I need to buy, and actually have most of the fittings and line now, and am in the stage of realizing what does and doesn't fit correctly around my existing parts (e.g., intake pipe, radiator fan, DP to exhaust, etc.). So many hidden costs, but not unexpected.

It would have been a LOT easier to just get the RS Motors Fobia Fab kit, but a EWG dump setup would not fly with inspection and noise concerns (including track) where I live.
I am a fan of recirculating systems for the same reason. I.E. at my local autocross, all the other cars run around making sneezing and stuttering noises, while mine just motors along nice and quiet
honestly, I think I would get so distracted trying to make the car make all the noises, I would end up driving like crap. I'm easily distract.......
Old Jun 10, 2021, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW

Details, details, pics, more pics oh and yes lots more details lol. So you went with one of the IWG housings? Whos manifold?

I'm most concerned where exactly the turbo is "placed" at in regards to top bottom left right. Is it too far right which makes you get a new sharper bend intake, is it too far left and it'd run into my dry sump lines, etc.

The other thing ETS and several others mentioned is that the G's flow so much air that a single 44mm wg wasn't enough to dump the excess so thats why they went with twin 38's due to boost creep.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Details, details, pics, more pics oh and yes lots more details lol. So you went with one of the IWG housings? Whos manifold?

I'm most concerned where exactly the turbo is "placed" at in regards to top bottom left right. Is it too far right which makes you get a new sharper bend intake, is it too far left and it'd run into my dry sump lines, etc.

The other thing ETS and several others mentioned is that the G's flow so much air that a single 44mm wg wasn't enough to dump the excess so thats why they went with twin 38's due to boost creep.
Basically any modern billet compressor turbo will flow too much for a single 44mm gate.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 02:13 PM
EvoM Guru

it’s a Morrison Fab vband manifold with twin gates. Turbo location is close to stock, but not exactly the same. I will be able to use my same intake pipe, barely, but it does sit maybe 1/2” closer to the radiator so I needed a thinner fan. The recirculating pipes make things very tight for the plumbing and doing the plumbing for coolant through the gates is also going to be a pain. For sure I’ll be doing so heat protection on all the lines. Here’s a look at where the turbo sits without the O2 housing and gates installed. Lots more work ahead. Pardon the messy DV lines and clamps.

Re drysump clearance, this does barely clear the stock A/C compressor.

Old Jun 10, 2021, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Got pics of your O2 and downpipe? Curious where the o2 routes and how close it gets to the AC/sump area. I've seen pics of morr's single 44 but if you can lay it out on a table that'd help.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?