Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
for those of you running brake ducting, what do you do about water/other crap getting in? i assume the water just evaporates, what about pebbles/sand/other crap that will inevitably enter the hose? just disconnect and blow air through from time to time?

or is this really a non-issue
Are you running no inline air filter? Front-facing duct setups are great for cooling, but you really need a filter. Not my car, but this is the idea:

Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
yea - not a lot of space there. they're the small ones, 2" but i figure it's betetr than nothing and i've had the part just sitting in my garage. figured with the calipers getting pc'd i'd finally put them on. aim is great, right into the back of the rotor.

the only thing i'm noticing is that it kind of makes the control arm brake air guide nearly obsolete, as far as i can tell. still gonna have it on, but the duct blocks most of the area the air guide brings the air too.

separate note - this is the clutch bleeder right? located under the air inlet tube. havne't bled it for a while. sorry for the grainy pic.

Old Aug 5, 2021, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
yea - not a lot of space there. they're the small ones, 2" but i figure it's betetr than nothing and i've had the part just sitting in my garage. figured with the calipers getting pc'd i'd finally put them on. aim is great, right into the back of the rotor.

the only thing i'm noticing is that it kind of makes the control arm brake air guide nearly obsolete, as far as i can tell. still gonna have it on, but the duct blocks most of the area the air guide brings the air too.

separate note - this is the clutch bleeder right? located under the air inlet tube. havne't bled it for a while. sorry for the grainy pic.

Yep. 2 person job.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Yep. 2 person job.
i just used the pressure bleeder, no good?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Are you running no inline air filter? Front-facing duct setups are great for cooling, but you really need a filter. Not my car, but this is the idea:

Uh, those are for the intakes.

You're not really talking about putting air filters on brake cooling ducting that see no suction, are you? How is that going to work?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
i just used the pressure bleeder, no good?
If you put a hose on it to a container its a 1 person job. But you do need to pull back on the clutch force to get fluid out of that and push the clutch fully to clean that out. And of course pump then a few times to flush.

But its just brake fluid that doesn't see heat. So moisture buildup is more of a corrosion concern than boiling point concern like with brakes. I only bleed mine after pulling trans and not even every time.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab

You're not really talking about putting air filters on brake cooling ducting that see no suction, are you? How is that going to work?
Pretty sure that one was tongue in cheek. I don't concern myself with air filters like him but I use an AEM air bypass valve to make sure my hoses don't hydrolock my brakes.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 03:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by terror rising
Pretty sure that one was tongue in cheek. I don't concern myself with air filters like him but I use an AEM air bypass valve to make sure my hoses don't hydrolock my brakes.
I had a feeling but sometimes I can't tell nowadays on this forum.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I had a feeling but sometimes I can't tell nowadays on this forum.
Man I've come across some threads lately where I don't know how you don't lose your ****. That EGR thread was amazing.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 07:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Aug 5, 2021, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
You got me, dammit! :P
Old Aug 6, 2021, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

general question - is there any reason brake fluid level would rise after a hot drive? no change to pads, etc.

air in the system that expanded? or just general hot fluid expansion
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys - evo is running really odd, car is kind of bucking on throttle, and when it isn't if i hold the throttle steady to accelerate it will randomly surge forward.

kind of an emergency, does anyone have any idea what this coudl be? was running fine yesterday and the day before without issue, only changes were bleeding the brakes a bit.

here it is idling, it's hard to tell with the balance shaft removed but it doesn't seem to be running smoothly. no codes or issues idling, except that it doesnt sound steady
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

ok guys - evo is running really odd, car is kind of bucking on throttle, and when it isn't if i hold the throttle steady to accelerate it will randomly surge forward.

kind of an emergency, does anyone have any idea what this coudl be? was running fine yesterday and the day before without issue, only changes were bleeding the brakes a bit.

https://youtu.be/jPn8yEWWe_M

here it is idling, it's hard to tell with the balance shaft removed but it doesn't seem to be running smoothly. no codes or issues idling, except that it doesnt sound steady
If still on MAF, maybe a loose coupling? If you have a wideband, does it look normal? Maybe check plugs. And ping RS for ideas since you just got it back.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:37 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Hard to say but that definitely ain't right. I'd probably start with spark then fuel.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?