Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Swapping the gasket is definitely the ideal direction. I just have less 10 days to do it which is fine but no chance to recover if something goes wrong like a seized turbo bolt or something.

Another aspect though, if its going to have an issue we'd probably rather know now since we can just take the Model3 instead.

Looks like its time to start stripping parts off the head.
Dang. Big sad. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and the evo gets to come out.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
@Dallas J , is your head o-ringed? If you don't have time to do it before next event, it should get done on the next motor build.

How much timing are you running? IIRC Aaron tuned your car so I don't think timing is the issue.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
@Dallas J , is your head o-ringed? If you don't have time to do it before next event, it should get done on the next motor build.

How much timing are you running? IIRC Aaron tuned your car so I don't think timing is the issue.
No o-rings but Myles said he can do it easily. Just no time to try it now. Though shouldnt really be needed at my power level. Myles also has L19s and 87mm gasket for me, so looks like I'll be good on parts.

Yep, Aaron tuned it. Its around 3-4deg up to 4500 and starts climbing to 17-18deg by redline. I'll probably pull 1-2 deg out of the top end for now.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Been in that boat more than once with my evo. If you're pushing coolant there's really nothing you can do about the gasket. Once the head warps it will leak regardless.

The best interim solution I've seen is creating a refillable accumulator like outlined here. At least with something like this you don't have to depressurize the system to add water: https://motoiq.com/technobabble-how-...arden-sprayer/
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
What I've learned over the years is "It shouldn't need that for this level" and "racecar" never works out.

Case in point.. You very much more than likely did a good job assembling your engine, and I'm sure the machine work was good. And now it needs a head gasket... And the tune up is reasonable.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What I've learned over the years is "It shouldn't need that for this level" and "racecar" never works out.

Case in point.. You very much more than likely did a good job assembling your engine, and I'm sure the machine work was good. And now it needs a head gasket... And the tune up is reasonable.
I'd agree with your earlier point of getting the next engine o-ringed. Dallas' car makes a ton of low down torque which is great for autocross but is hell on head studs and head gaskets. Similar to the 4Gs used in WRX talked about in this video, head gasket sealing is tough on high torque, low rpm applications:

Old Aug 9, 2021, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Interesting stuff in that vid But 700tqs at 4000rpm and 3bar boost is a wee bit more extreme than what we're all doing

Will be interesting if I can see anything in the head or block that indicated where its been pushing. Im typically not the best at reading these things, takes a better calibrated eye than I have so will post pics when its off.
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Aug 9, 2021)
Old Aug 9, 2021, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

More extreme than anyone here by a good amount lol. I'm mainly just using it as a point that high torque at low rpm means the head gasket has a rough life.

CA625 and an o-ring setup would be smart for the next engine.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Head gasket, L19 studs, OEM Power steering pump, and OEM Slave cylinder all ordered (over night shipping on the latter too). Gonna beat the daggum war of attrition.

Some years the car just needs oil changes. Other years it attempts to beat me into submission. The only risk now is parts shortages. Myles was telling me there are no OEM alternators left. Not sure what the OEM equivalent will be since I really dont like parts store parts.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Head gasket, L19 studs, OEM Power steering pump, and OEM Slave cylinder all ordered (over night shipping on the latter too). Gonna beat the daggum war of attrition.

Some years the car just needs oil changes. Other years it attempts to beat me into submission. The only risk now is parts shortages. Myles was telling me there are no OEM alternators left. Not sure what the OEM equivalent will be since I really dont like parts store parts.
We're only going to see this more and more as time goes on. Looks like Denso makes reman alternators so that's probably the route I'd go.

Also, be careful with L19, don't open them until you're ready to install. It's a somewhat fickle alloy and any amount of corrosion on them can cause the material to weaken.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Dare I ask what the P/S pump ran. Figured those were long gone.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Dare I ask what the P/S pump ran. Figured those were long gone.
https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/o...841?origin=pla

This was the best place I was able to find for OEM Mitsu parts. I got the PS Pump, slave cylinder, and a vacuum canister (SAS parts) over night shipped. So we'll see how fast their overnight goes. Said the 12th arrival date.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
was the coil pack. really old actually, i should have thought of it, not that i could have tested it out
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Aug 15, 2021)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Kyoo- Brake ducting. I dont have any screens or filters on mine. never been an issue. You could put some mesh across like what goes infront of the intercooler on the bumper if ur being fussy.

Dallas- Damn head will probably be toast. worth getting it hardness tested. If your going to replace the gasket get the head planed same time. dont muck around or youll end up doing the job twice. If you dont get the head decked youll instantly blow the new gasket.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Kyoo- Brake ducting. I dont have any screens or filters on mine. never been an issue. You could put some mesh across like what goes infront of the intercooler on the bumper if ur being fussy.

Dallas- Damn head will probably be toast. worth getting it hardness tested. If your going to replace the gasket get the head planed same time. dont muck around or youll end up doing the job twice. If you dont get the head decked youll instantly blow the new gasket.
This is the crux of my dilemma. I have a race we leave for a week from Thursday so not really time to get the head decked. And if I deck the head the block needs it too.

Saturday in 10 runs, after bleeding we put in 40oz of water. Sunday with 5 runs was 30oz. Hard to tell if it was different circumstance or its getting worse. So the question is, can we nurse it through this event, and what test criteria would you use to decide to send it?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?