Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Flipped upper control arm?

Any pics to understand?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
How about rear caliper options?
No point. You can adjust bias changing front calipers and pad compounds. Throwing massive brakes in the rear will just **** off the ABS module.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin

No point. You can adjust bias changing front calipers and pad compounds. Throwing massive brakes in the rear will just **** off the ABS module.
I wouldn't say massive, but even getting some more rotor diameter visa vie evo X rear brakes would help the bias.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Flipped upper control arm?

Any pics to understand?
Flipped lower arm. The mounting holes aren't in a straight line. If you think about the chassis and shock mounts being fixed points at full extension, the OEM bias pushes the hub up. If you flip it the hub would move down. It's only effect is moving the wheels position at max droop down about 0.75"(19mm).

But with the angle down you only want to do it if you have limitations in droop like if your shocks are too short or how my rear uprights sacrifice 1.25" of droop by the nature of where the rear shocks attach. If you flip with already having excessive droop you could cause a bind.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Mar 8, 2019)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 03:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
My rear brakes hardly do any work as it is.. Do we need something larger?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
My rear brakes hardly do any work as it is.. Do we need something larger?
I put evo X calipers on the front of my car. Logically if I could get evo X rears on I'd have OE type of bias and balance but larger diameter rotors front/rear. Poor mans BBK
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
I wouldn't say massive, but even getting some more rotor diameter visa vie evo X rear brakes would help the bias.
But that's exactly what I'm saying, you can already change bias with front calipers or pad compounds. The rear brakes only handle like 20-25% of the braking at the most anyway so even if it offered like a 2-5% increase in performance the cost to change all that over just doesn't make sense.

Just to put things in perspective, James Houghton's integra, one of the fastest time attack cars in North America still uses factory rear brakes, 260mm. Our rear brakes are waaay bigger than that, 300mm. Just because it's better doesn't mean it's going to make any noticeable improvements.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 05:26 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Just because it's bigger doesn't mean it's going to make any noticeable improvements.

Fixed

When I had my Type R, upgrading front brakes to Spoon, Mugen, blah blah was common, but same as our cars: the rear didn't do much work, so there was no reason to swap them out. I don't recall anyone who tracked their Hondas changing rear brakes.

P.S. My buddy just got Dekgrams for his Atom. They are a nice looking wheel and I wish they made my size.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Look I understand, but if mitsu thought it fitting to put a bigger diameter front/rear rotor on the EvoX. I dont see it being a bad thing to use those parts on CT9A. Not to mention when the 8/9 were designed they came with 17" wheels. Being full time 18" why not fit the larger brakes from the Evo X
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Also with a track oriented car we're clearly adding significant grip in the rear and reducing weight transfer to the front. Could use more rear brake to increase performance and or make the front last longer/see less heat.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 06:43 PM
kaj

The Evo X is a heavier car. Other than that, It's a completely different model, so I don't know the reason the engineers decided to go with larger brakes.
With matching F/R brake pads, my rears lock up first. I had to go with a much less-aggressive pad for the rear to balance it out. It's my understanding Evo X brakes flex less and dissipate heat better, not so much simply bite better (I could be wrong). If I put X rear calipers and they have more bite, then I have to ease up on rear pads even more.
All in all, The rears don't see enough heat/flex/etc to justify putting on X brakes, IMO.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 7, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
weight dist is also more even on the X, and obviously heavier yes. The evo x brakes did make a difference in bite for me, it's increased torque due to the larger rotor. I'm running "staggered" pads in the sense that I just run something an aggressive pad on the front for track days, don't see anything wrong with that. The rears generate so much less heat than the fronts

Dallas, is there a write-up on the front and rear uprights? I'm sure this throws me out of any lower level class I'd like to run in, but I'm curious about the product and the specifics of what it does, corrects, and how those things add speed and handling charm to the Evo - I believe you're also running the ER ACD tune + TRE rear diff, that may multiply benefits that you see by a small factor
Old Mar 7, 2019, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
weight dist is also more even on the X, and obviously heavier yes. The evo x brakes did make a difference in bite for me, it's increased torque due to the larger rotor. I'm running "staggered" pads in the sense that I just run something an aggressive pad on the front for track days, don't see anything wrong with that. The rears generate so much less heat than the fronts

Dallas, is there a write-up on the front and rear uprights? I'm sure this throws me out of any lower level class I'd like to run in, but I'm curious about the product and the specifics of what it does, corrects, and how those things add speed and handling charm to the Evo - I believe you're also running the ER ACD tune + TRE rear diff, that may multiply benefits that you see by a small factor
Here's my incomplete writeup. I have so many things on my plate I havent been able to finish more writeups but thats on my list of things to do.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old Mar 8, 2019, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The Evo X is a heavier car. Other than that, It's a completely different model, so I don't know the reason the engineers decided to go with larger brakes.
With matching F/R brake pads, my rears lock up first. I had to go with a much less-aggressive pad for the rear to balance it out. It's my understanding Evo X brakes flex less and dissipate heat better, not so much simply bite better (I could be wrong). If I put X rear calipers and they have more bite, then I have to ease up on rear pads even more.
All in all, The rears don't see enough heat/flex/etc to justify putting on X brakes, IMO.
IIRC evo X has smaller pistons in the rear than e9 and same disc size so I see no benefit from evo X rears.

Evo 9 stock has>
Front: 2x40mm, 2x46mm
Rear: 2x40mm

so, 2918 mm2 per side front, 1256 mm2 per side rear

Front disc: 320x32mm
Rear disc: 300x22mm

Raliart/Brembo racing setup is 355 mm front + 295 mm rears (so smaller than stock)
With 38/44mm front pistons and 26/30 mm rear pistons
so, 2654 mm2 front and 1237 mm2per side rear...

the recipe seems to be just to increase the fronts and keep the rears.. Race setup does use larger pads than stock..
Old Mar 8, 2019, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
good info. I was under the impression the rears on evoX were larger.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?