Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice compact sensor setup you have there, neat and tidy.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there are runner differences on the different age inlets too?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
thinking about doing a setup change next year some time - currently on stock parts with drilled out holes for evo 10 brakes, brembos with 350mm rotors.

if i get dallas's uprights, i was thinking i might as well go back to the stock evo 9 stuff (12mm holes) and maybe try ap racing's 8350 calipers with 325mm rotors. That will let me go back to 17's, and lose a ton of mass up front. Question is, on same tires and pads, how much would I lose from a braking perspective? For what it's worth, the current setup is enough to engage abs in any practically any braking situation. I love the feel of them but I feel like I'm losing out a lot based on how much mass the entire setup is, and I imagine the ap's setup is probably 10lbs lighter on each side (stated 14 lbs lighter total than the stock evo 9 setup, and the stock evo 10 setup is probably 3-5lbs heavier than the 9's per corner). that's a lot of weight to save up there, plus lighter wheels and tires and I believe the uprights are lighter too. question again though is how much, if any, braking i'll lose going back to a smaller rotor but better caliper. i imagine not too much if not none, including the weight savings of a potentially lighter setup.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 03:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
thinking about doing a setup change next year some time - currently on stock parts with drilled out holes for evo 10 brakes, brembos with 350mm rotors.

if i get dallas's uprights, i was thinking i might as well go back to the stock evo 9 stuff (12mm holes) and maybe try ap racing's 8350 calipers with 325mm rotors. That will let me go back to 17's, and lose a ton of mass up front. Question is, on same tires and pads, how much would I lose from a braking perspective? For what it's worth, the current setup is enough to engage abs in any practically any braking situation. I love the feel of them but I feel like I'm losing out a lot based on how much mass the entire setup is, and I imagine the ap's setup is probably 10lbs lighter on each side (stated 14 lbs lighter total than the stock evo 9 setup, and the stock evo 10 setup is probably 3-5lbs heavier than the 9's per corner). that's a lot of weight to save up there, plus lighter wheels and tires and I believe the uprights are lighter too. question again though is how much, if any, braking i'll lose going back to a smaller rotor but better caliper. i imagine not too much if not none, including the weight savings of a potentially lighter setup.
Higher quality brakes negate the need for bigger brakes, as mentioned in the threads here. You should be good. I'll be doing the same.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Higher quality brakes negate the need for bigger brakes, as mentioned in the threads here. You should be good. I'll be doing the same.
including the ssb upright?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

SSB uprights come with a sleeve that you can push out if you decide to run Evo 10 brakes so you can do either.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 04:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
including the ssb upright?
Eventually.

But....if the Aston sells then I'm ditching the Evo to go to another platform.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Morrison turbo manifold — it’s what’s for dinner. This should make for some interesting engine bay conversation in the paddock and at cars and coffee.

Old Oct 18, 2021, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Morrison turbo manifold — it’s what’s for dinner. This should make for some interesting engine bay conversation in the paddock and at cars and coffee.

Thats hawt.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Thats hawt.
Or uh...not hawt.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 06:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
Or uh...not hawt.
Yeah...I think that's more my view, but oh well. I think the other alternative was a more heavily vented hood, but I like to keep my car more understated on the outside.

Speaking of hood ventilation -- Does removing the stock hood louvers (i.e., rain guard) hurt or help cooling at speed? It seems that many assume that removing helps cooling, but I'm not sure from an aero standpoint so I've kept mine all these years.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
i was commenting more on the fact that it keeps things cooler, not so much on how ugly it is.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Yeah...I think that's more my view, but oh well. I think the other alternative was a more heavily vented hood, but I like to keep my car more understated on the outside.

Speaking of hood ventilation -- Does removing the stock hood louvers (i.e., rain guard) hurt or help cooling at speed? It seems that many assume that removing helps cooling, but I'm not sure from an aero standpoint so I've kept mine all these years.
I think it looks great and would def take the heatshield over being open.

But I would run that vented port back to the intake or at least something to catch escaping oil.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I think it looks great and would def take the heatshield over being open.

But I would run that vented port back to the intake or at least something to catch escaping oil.
Yeah...that breather filter is on there just for the moment to catch oil. I get almost nothing there. Usually I have a hose running to an additional intake pipe that puts the air filter down where the 05+ cars have the ACD. I have had a catch can in the middle of that line but caught nothing in it.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

@Dallas J can you confirm ap racing 8350's fit on your front uprights? may consider running this setup + the binary eng brake ducts.

I see from matt's post in 2018 that it required some dremeling, not sure if that's still the case or if any of the design has changed at all.

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 19, 2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Yeah...that breather filter is on there just for the moment to catch oil. I get almost nothing there. Usually I have a hose running to an additional intake pipe that puts the air filter down where the 05+ cars have the ACD. I have had a catch can in the middle of that line but caught nothing in it.
I thought thats where some idle air comes from, if your PCV is stock

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?