Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Have I told you about my lord and savior, More Rear Spring?
haha well i've progressed grdually up from 10k, 11k, and now 12k, and it seems like it has really increased the oversteer. i'd like to dial it back if anything. i've still got my tanabe hollow fsb but i think it was a bit too much
Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:44 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
haha well i've progressed grdually up from 10k, 11k, and now 12k, and it seems like it has really increased the oversteer. i'd like to dial it back if anything. i've still got my tanabe hollow fsb but i think it was a bit too much
You need to think about where and why its oversteering. If lift, its probably shock or lack of camber. Think about any other fast RWD car, would it also rotate? Trying to get a car perfectly stable pretty much means understeer. Back should move but be controllable when it does.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

You need to think about where and why its oversteering. If lift, its probably shock or lack of camber. Think about any other fast RWD car, would it also rotate? Trying to get a car perfectly stable pretty much means understeer. Back should move but be controllable when it does.
too much steering angle + gas when it happens, but i feel like it used to just pull out of corners without drama, now it just destroys tire. maybe i should back down to 11k rear. if i did the same in my m3, yes it would totally spin out lol. i can modulate but it's a little tricky with the boost, not much difference between 70% throttle and 90% and 100%. i was hoping to really rely on it's strength of being able to claw out of corners without losing too much traction. might be the diffs too (started using ats 1-way rfont and 1.5-way rear carbon-hybrids this year).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
As Dallas said, first step is figuring out where it's oversteering. Corner entry, mid corner or corner exit. Each one has different fixes.

If it's happening from too much steering angle, then use less angle. If you think about it in a dumbed down sense, the fastest way around a track is the way that allows you to be on the gas the most and turn the steering wheel the least. I haven't seen you drive but the old saying of "smooth is fast" still stands true today.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
It is likely you will need to make more than one change to fix throttle oversteer and not just make it pushier. Like adding more toe-in at the rear or more negative camber at the rear combined eith stiffer rear springs.
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Nov 17, 2021)
Old Nov 17, 2021, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
What rear camber are you starting with?

I'd add more rear camber as a first-pass attempt at improving it.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
too much steering angle + gas when it happens, but i feel like it used to just pull out of corners without drama, now it just destroys tire. maybe i should back down to 11k rear. if i did the same in my m3, yes it would totally spin out lol. i can modulate but it's a little tricky with the boost, not much difference between 70% throttle and 90% and 100%. i was hoping to really rely on it's strength of being able to claw out of corners without losing too much traction. might be the diffs too (started using ats 1-way rfont and 1.5-way rear carbon-hybrids this year).
Its too stiffer rear spring, I also had the same issue especially at high speed corner exit. Go back down a bit in rear spring and it will squat better out of the turns.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

that is what i was getting at but I'm gonna check my alignment/maybe add some toe in in the rear because i otherwise like how the car behaves.

picked up me Evo today. leak was an oil fitting (not sure which) and they also resealed the oil pan.

here's a pic of the acd and battery relocation. i wanted the whole acd pump in the trunk for reliability

Old Nov 21, 2021, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Its too stiffer rear spring, I also had the same issue especially at high speed corner exit. Go back down a bit in rear spring and it will squat better out of the turns.
Changing rear spring is a global effect trying to fix a single point characteristic. There are better ways to get the car to put power down than sacrifice the rest of the corner but rear spring should be balancing steady state not transitions. We run dramatically stiffer rears on track without that issue cause we fixed the other things.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Changing rear spring is a global effect trying to fix a single point characteristic. There are better ways to get the car to put power down than sacrifice the rest of the corner but rear spring should be balancing steady state not transitions. We run dramatically stiffer rears on track without that issue cause we fixed the other things.
Yea i guess thats the end goal isnt it, One day soon ill be ordering the rear hub kit from you, its probably out of most peoples budgets to upgrade all of that however so i guess they end up with no choice but to make do with what theyve got.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.
check out this dry ice blasting. This place does mostly p cars but I want my suspension arms done.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUiq2..._web_copy_link
i fabbed up some parts for a bad *** dry ice blasting machine used in the semiconductor world a few years ago. Super cool process.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin. (Nov 22, 2021)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
like Dallas said it’s not too stiff (imo)

Out of the (4) cars we have the 12k is the lightest rear and 18k stiffest. The 18k feels stable on track. I haven’t autox’d it personally but Phouvanh said it’s stable at autox as well.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea i guess thats the end goal isnt it, One day soon ill be ordering the rear hub kit from you, its probably out of most peoples budgets to upgrade all of that however so i guess they end up with no choice but to make do with what theyve got.
Didnt mean to infer you have to have fancy uprights to make it stable, just that the goal should be to do what you can to make more rear spring work. As I keep saying, the more you can make the rear work the less the front has to do.

As for why some have more rear rotation than others, think about what happens to your roll axis when the front RC drops 3:1 and front drops 1:1.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Didnt mean to infer you have to have fancy uprights to make it stable, just that the goal should be to do what you can to make more rear spring work. As I keep saying, the more you can make the rear work the less the front has to do.

As for why some have more rear rotation than others, think about what happens to your roll axis when the front RC drops 3:1 and front drops 1:1.
roll center kit not enough, imagine the front upright should improve that though? plus i will tweak the ride heights for front and rear sometime, it's the off season already here
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Throttle oversteer on exit is usually an actual goal for any track'd evo lol. Managing that after is just a grip equation which is FAR easier then fixing understeer out of the box so its going the right direction.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?