Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 07:13 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
I went 68mm bosch e throttle, Initially i retrofitted a subaru legacy accelerator position sensor but it was a pain. Evo X pedal would have been far nicer. I have a pedalbox also and i used a rotary encoder sensor like a throttle body sensor now which is far more reliable.

Unless youve got a Motec or lyfe racing etc ecu you wont really gain much from it its more of a headache than anything. Throttle blip doesnt work properly with the run of the mill ecu companies e.g link haltech etc because you cant run 3d tables incorporating brake pressure and what not like you can with motec. Motec you can also adjust the throttle motor PID etc which link and haltech and what not dont allow you to do. Ive never managed to get throttle blip working properly on the link or haltech. So apart from possibly setting up cruise control ( which would be a pain as youd need to wire up buttons for it etc also which take up inputs in the ecu) and ditching factory idle control there isnt alot to gain from them.

Traction control would be possible but again youd need to wire all of your wheelspeed sensors up to the ecu in order to set it up which uses up precious inputs on your ecu. and i dont think it would be sophisticated TC like a Bosch unit or something would give you.

If i was to do it all again i would probably have stayed mechanical and worked out a way to get a cable up from my pedal box to the TB.
Well good thing I have a motec :P. But thanks for the feedback on your experience. My main use is to get throttle blip, a cheap replacement for OEM IAC (which cost more than the replacement TB), and to play with another thing.

Also, sometimes I do things just cause I want to do things.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Alright folks, Throttle by wire (TBW) stuff starting and looking for a first round of feedback because some of you have thought through this stuff already. I'm planning EvoX throttle assy (I have the assy, will be making an adapter but saving that as a task when new 3d scanner gets here) and Bosch 68mm throttle body. Here's some bulleted thoughts, argue and critique away
  • 68mm throttle body is bigger than stock 60mm, works out to be a great sizing for ported stock manifold. Seems no reason to go 60mm, and bigger than 68mm isn't necessary without going to a higher flow manifold which is outside the realm of this implementation
  • O-ring on both sides cause RTV is lame. I spent a good bit of time tonight with O-ring calculators to get 25% crush on a 2.5mm o-ring and have 66-80% void fill and it looks pretty good. But I'm not an O-ring expert, just the minimal I've learned doing a few rounds of basic implementations
  • EvoX pedal is arguably not as nice feeling as the GTR assembly (both readily available on Ebay and other sources) but EvoX is cheaper and easier to find. Evo pedal has very little damping force though it does match the feel of the stock cable assembly.

So, what do ya'll think? Doesn't necessarily need to be for anyone but me, but if you were making choices for yourself what would you want?
Looks like the adapter I have to make for subaru Legacy H6 DWB TB I got... BTW that was a real cheap DBW TB and is a nice alternative to using evo X TB.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If the winter list is going this strong, one of ya'll should look at an adjustable turbo support rod we spoke about on the other thread. Enough of us use the oem hot side still but it "should" also translate to T3/4 if you're using the same thread location on the oem block. Someone mentioned the oem o2 had this but it's been so long since i've put eyes on one.

Old Dec 15, 2021, 02:41 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
If the winter list is going this strong, one of ya'll should look at an adjustable turbo support rod we spoke about on the other thread. Enough of us use the oem hot side still but it "should" also translate to T3/4 if you're using the same thread location on the oem block. Someone mentioned the oem o2 had this but it's been so long since i've put eyes on one.
That sounds right. I believe I remember being a bit bummed to have to ditch it after swapping O2 housings. I'm 99% sure that's where it attached, otherwise I'd still be using it.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I did this for my EFR setup. The turbo is relocated towards the gearbox so I dont use the OE thread in the block, but this is how I did it. It supports the turbo and manifold against the forces from the block shaking around the crank axis but allows for manifold expansion.

The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Dec 15, 2021)
Old Dec 15, 2021, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I did this for my EFR setup. The turbo is relocated towards the gearbox so I dont use the OE thread in the block, but this is how I did it. It supports the turbo and manifold against the forces from the block shaking around the crank axis but allows for manifold expansion.

Because this is a 2-force member, vibration and loads transmitted through that bar in effect cause extra load on other parts. Honestly, I would run nothing over that.

The other issue of rigidly attaching to the block is thermal expansion of the manifold. A cast header isn't as bad for thermal expansion as a tubular header. Its probably better creating some sort of anti-gravity loading if you need that with a spring force opposing turbo/manifold mass.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Because this is a 2-force member, vibration and loads transmitted through that bar in effect cause extra load on other parts. Honestly, I would run nothing over that.

The other issue of rigidly attaching to the block is thermal expansion of the manifold. A cast header isn't as bad for thermal expansion as a tubular header. Its probably better creating some sort of anti-gravity loading if you need that with a spring force opposing turbo/manifold mass.
the ideal solution is what was used on F1 turbo era cars and that is to hang the turbo from above with a rose jointed rod but there is no real space to do that here. I fail to see the extra load but to each its own..
Old Dec 15, 2021, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
This is one of the reasons I like having a cast manifold. No welds to worry about failing. Word on the street is Artec is making a stock flange investment cast stainless steel manifold soon similar to the vband one they currently offer.

https://www.drifthq.com/products/art...40057327517743
Old Dec 15, 2021, 05:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the oem brake lines that I damaged when dropping my trans

Old Dec 15, 2021, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I fail to see the extra load but to each its own..
Its not really a "to each his own" scenario. For this to provide any load restraint vertically it will inherently create a load laterally due to the angle of the support member. That lateral load is restrained via bending forces through the manifold. And because that particular member is greater than 45deg, the resultant lateral load is greater than the vertical load.

Im not trying to be catty here, this type of thing is literally part of my job IRL. Calling out design oddities, and looking for better solutions. I would remake that bracket on the turbo to get the two force member more vertical. So thermal expansion only changed the angle of the bar somewhat insignificantly and it could handle vertical loads without inducing extra stress on the manifold.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Its not really a "to each his own" scenario. For this to provide any load restraint vertically it will inherently create a load laterally due to the angle of the support member. That lateral load is restrained via bending forces through the manifold. And because that particular member is greater than 45deg, the resultant lateral load is greater than the vertical load.

Im not trying to be catty here, this type of thing is literally part of my job IRL. Calling out design oddities, and looking for better solutions. I would remake that bracket on the turbo to get the two force member more vertical. So thermal expansion only changed the angle of the bar somewhat insignificantly and it could handle vertical loads without inducing extra stress on the manifold.
aaa, ok I see your point now... No, it was never intended to resist the vertical force, manifold takes care of that. The turbo-manifold combo is basically a lever with a heavy weight on the end (turbo)... This is intened to provide additional stifness. I appreciate your comment, dont take me wrong...
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
This is one of the reasons I like having a cast manifold. No welds to worry about failing. Word on the street is Artec is making a stock flange investment cast stainless steel manifold soon similar to the vband one they currently offer.

https://www.drifthq.com/products/art...40057327517743
Same.

Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Something like that but with wiggle room like Dallas said. It does need to "move" but we're just trying to take "some" of the load off all those gaskets. HPA did one similar to that, just an adjustable rod to "a mounting point". But there's a reason the good downpipes mostly have flex joints. So how do we accommodate. This is believed to be the #1 reason we loose bolts/studs in this area.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
weird. I just checked all my exhaust manifold bolts and they're all loose, quite evenly. It never made any leaky sound
Old Dec 17, 2021, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Something like that but with wiggle room like Dallas said. It does need to "move" but we're just trying to take "some" of the load off all those gaskets. HPA did one similar to that, just an adjustable rod to "a mounting point". But there's a reason the good downpipes mostly have flex joints. So how do we accommodate. This is believed to be the #1 reason we loose bolts/studs in this area.
I am always shocked to see downpipes with no flex joints.. Mine always have 2, to accomodate for engine movement.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?