Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
there's definitely a dribble coming from somewhere, but i don't think it's head gasket. does the pressure tester connect to the top of the radiator?

i watched a droplet roll down but is just impossible to see behind all the hoses and connectors
Old Jan 12, 2022, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
there's definitely a dribble coming from somewhere, but i don't think it's head gasket. does the pressure tester connect to the top of the radiator?

i watched a droplet roll down but is just impossible to see behind all the hoses and connectors
yes just the cap. the model i saw at our Autozone had a hand pump and gauge. I'm actually interested to rent today to test my new hoses and clamps
Old Jan 12, 2022, 04:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
low pressure isn't really the goal of a coolant system, it's designed to hold the pressure that it's designed to hold.

those bolts are just the areas that the bypass is connected, at least the right side one (nearer to driver's side). i've readjusted the hose connected to that one and going to take a drive today to run an errand, so we'll see if that's had any impact. kinda doubt it, but you guys are at least giving me hope that it's not the head gasket.
Yes but if those bolts are missing or not tight the bypass will just be floating and it can not be seated correctly into the bottom of the thermostat housing or the water pump hence why i said to check if they are there and tight.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts

Old Jan 12, 2022, 04:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts

Thank god you finally are on track. Nothing worse than trying to fix a problem with no apparent source. That's gotta be a huge relief!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Thank god you finally are on track. Nothing worse than trying to fix a problem with no apparent source. That's gotta be a huge relief!
haha well i'm not there yet i still can't see it. haven't really had a chance i work like 12hrs a day the last thing i want to do is look at a car problem afterwards haha.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
haha well i'm not there yet i still can't see it. haven't really had a chance i work like 12hrs a day the last thing i want to do is look at a car problem afterwards haha.
why even have a well lit garage? for me this is the only time i'm letting my evo take up the garage space so getting to do a bit of tinkering during breaks or after office are like 'stolen moments' lol
Old Jan 13, 2022, 08:12 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Same. My work days are 12.5-13hrs of wall-to-wall stress. When I'm home, I just want to rest
Old Jan 17, 2022, 01:25 PM

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Did you ever find the source of that last leak? the one right after you got the new motor in? it was a clear fluid iirc

they do make leak detection dye for coolant as well. Pressurizing the system should make a constant stream of leak. Spray bottle soapy water clean back there and get good lighting. Cover all bases.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Slightly O/T , but who's using the maker license for SW? Any good?

Could use it over my current CadKey/Key Creator to update some abilities.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Did you ever find the source of that last leak? the one right after you got the new motor in? it was a clear fluid iirc

they do make leak detection dye for coolant as well. Pressurizing the system should make a constant stream of leak. Spray bottle soapy water clean back there and get good lighting. Cover all bases.
shop that did the work found it. it was a leak at the oil pan return line, and they resealed the pan as well so suspected leak there also i guess.

haven't done anything with the coolant leak yet, but as far as i can tell it only leaks after a drive, not something i would see from starting up the car. i think it is exacerbated by pressure and i dont think there's much pressure when the car is idling. i did order a lower pressure cap, but i'm not going to put it on until the source of the issue is found. i'm just going to have an evo specific shop take a look at it in feb or mar, i'm not comfortable with it enough myself. i've seen the dribble on the trans but i can't see anything past that. im hoping it's thermostat housing or gasket, but again i can't see it
Old Jan 17, 2022, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

is using a fluidamper on a time attack car a bad idea?

https://stmtuned.com/products/610701...3-crank-pulley

been thinking about smoothing out the engine a little post-balance shaft removal (which I never wanted to do)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I'd say it's required on any configuration.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jan 17, 2022)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
is using a fluidamper on a time attack car a bad idea?

https://stmtuned.com/products/610701...3-crank-pulley

been thinking about smoothing out the engine a little post-balance shaft removal (which I never wanted to do)
That is a torsional damper. You won't notice any reduction in the vibration from the balance shaft removal. They do different things.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Yes, buy one. They are very beneficial in keeping an engine from becoming a paperweight.

As other said, you won't feel a reduction in vibration.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?