Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I was able to ride with my driver when my engine blew at Thunderhill. It wasn't a branded AAA truck though, local guy. Was really nice and he obviously had a lot of experience towing cars from the track.

That was a pricey 150 mile tow.

I would love a trailer but don't want a truck. I was hoping the Ford maverick was going to have decent towing capacity. I could use it to tow, if I raced gokarts.
AAA just outsource to whoever is local and affiliated (is that the right word?)
I dont want a truck too. my Astro Van (home depot duty) is more useful than a pickup truck lol. A friend of mine set up a full size van for long hauls. Thats more useful. I was looking at used ambulances one time. it has a bed, a sink and outdoor lighting already lol
Old Feb 7, 2022, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

From my experience, it's up to the driver. As I posted above, that driver had no issues with towing me and letting me go with him.

A couple months later I called AAA to tow my Evo from my driveway to the shop. I had to argue with the driver for like 20 minutes to get him to put it on the truck because he swore up and down that they don't tow modified cars. I actually had to basically bribe him with 60 dollars to do it.
That's messed up. I also get another tow to the tuner/shops when a slot opens. That's when the service-evaluator shows up here, and truck driver with free cold drinks! (i live in the ghettos). Maybe TX have way too many towing companies. Many drivers take the trucks home and just get back out when called on weekends
Old Feb 7, 2022, 03:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I was able to ride with my driver when my engine blew at Thunderhill. It wasn't a branded AAA truck though, local guy. Was really nice and he obviously had a lot of experience towing cars from the track.

That was a pricey 150 mile tow.

I would love a trailer but don't want a truck. I was hoping the Ford maverick was going to have decent towing capacity. I could use it to tow, if I raced gokarts.
My tow vehicle sits in front of my house 340 days out of the year It's paid off, so not really too big of a deal other than smog, reg, and insurance. I was gonna send it to MT so I wouldn't have to pay reg and smog any more... but I think I'd have to deal with drama when it's parked in front of my house. It only takes one bored cop to ruin my day.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh wait. whenever i call AAA, they actually ask if I will need to ride along. I have AAA+ Premium whatever
Old Feb 7, 2022, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
That's messed up. I also get another tow to the tuner/shops when a slot opens. That's when the service-evaluator shows up here, and truck driver with free cold drinks! (i live in the ghettos). Maybe TX have way too many towing companies. Many drivers take the trucks home and just get back out when called on weekends
Yea. He even rolled his eyes when he found out it didn't move under it's own power. He started *****ing about it and I was like what the hell kind of tow truck driver are you? You only tow cars in perfect running condition? BS. Here is 60 bucks cash, put my gawdamn car on your flatbed... lol.

He did.

Old Feb 7, 2022, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea. He even rolled his eyes when he found out it didn't move under it's own power. He started *****ing about it and I was like what the hell kind of tow truck driver are you? You only tow cars in perfect running condition? BS. Here is 60 bucks cash, put my gawdamn car on your flatbed... lol.

He did.
I'd call that in. Help out the next guy. They dont make much (learned from long conversations) but many seem happy to do the work. I've even met a guy just out of jail. Dont count on them to happily come out when theres a game on though
Old Feb 7, 2022, 04:27 PM
kaj

I like when the tow guy sits and talks with me about my car for 30mins, after loading it up. He was really happy to have the car on his truck. He thought it was really, really cool. That was a fun experience. Too bad they all didn't give a **** about what they are towing
Old Feb 7, 2022, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I like when the tow guy sits and talks with me about my car for 30mins, after loading it up. He was really happy to have the car on his truck. He thought it was really, really cool. That was a fun experience.
I always get this. The last one was flipping out its an WW Evo 9, on a track he didnt know existed (life long texan). even took selfie pics for his friends.
I get good vibes for my Toyota IF the driver is from a "rally" country or from PR lol
Old Feb 7, 2022, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I always get this. The last one was flipping out its an WW Evo 9, on a track he didnt know existed (life long texan). even took selfie pics for his friends.
I get good vibes for my Toyota IF the driver is from a "rally" country or from PR lol
Haha i got towed once when my car was still a street car and snapped an accessories belt. Turns out the dude who towed me had an evo aswell which was predominantly a drag car. Had a great chat with him the whole way about evos haha.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 05:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
My tow vehicle sits in front of my house 340 days out of the year It's paid off, so not really too big of a deal other than smog, reg, and insurance. I was gonna send it to MT so I wouldn't have to pay reg and smog any more... but I think I'd have to deal with drama when it's parked in front of my house. It only takes one bored cop to ruin my day.
Just take the plates off and say its unregistered hahaha
Old Feb 7, 2022, 06:34 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Just take the plates off and say its unregistered hahaha
I'm 99% sure I'm not allowed to have an unregistered car on the street. I guess I *could* be not lazy and park it in the driveway, then just move it any time I want to bring a car out. My daily is outside already, anyway...
Old Feb 7, 2022, 08:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Haha i got towed once when my car was still a street car and snapped an accessories belt. Turns out the dude who towed me had an evo aswell which was predominantly a drag car. Had a great chat with him the whole way about evos haha.
I always have a good chat with them. I tip toe a bit when we get political but I am interested in hearing their point of view and origin stories
Old Feb 8, 2022, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
People really under appreciate the amount of heat soak that happens at AutoX and Trackcross events when its 1min of 110% then zero motion.

Ive been seeing interesting contraptions to direct air through PVC tubes using a leaf blower just to keep things cool. I'm thinking of making something like a E with the ends blowing into the brakes and radiator. Would just slide it under the car between drivers and let it blow as long as possible.

At a big event in Montana we got so much heat into the wheels that water just evaporated off within seconds and by 5th runs the tires just went off hard.
Maybe you can incorporate some air guide to your splitter/bottom cover. I know there's a lot of airflow on the driver side since I have trouble checking tire pressures when the fan is running. I'll check passenger side once I'm done with my SPAL fan upgrade
Old Feb 8, 2022, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
so.... major bummer: i guess 2 other people with very similar usages to me have blown/cracked their ATS front differential housings, also taking the t-case with it.

there is a revised housing for the ats that costs... $1,400. I'm not even sure if that will really "fix" it. on the flipside, it looks like I can get a Cusco front diff (450c or 450f, not sure) for about $1,550.

should I just dump the ATS and go with the Cusco for reliability, and just sell the ats i have?

also, fwiw - have not had any issues with my diff. theirs was a 1.5-way, mine is a 1-way
Old Feb 8, 2022, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
so.... major bummer: i guess 2 other people with very similar usages to me have blown/cracked their ATS front differential housings, also taking the t-case with it.

there is a revised housing for the ats that costs... $1,400. I'm not even sure if that will really "fix" it. on the flipside, it looks like I can get a Cusco front diff (450c or 450f, not sure) for about $1,550.

should I just dump the ATS and go with the Cusco for reliability, and just sell the ats i have?

also, fwiw - have not had any issues with my diff. theirs was a 1.5-way, mine is a 1-way
FWIW, Grice/Berry had probably thousands of ProSolo launches on their Cusco front diff with no breakage. When they ditched the ACD they had to get rid of it (not interchangeable).

Also, my 1way front diff is NOT Silent. Im the guy you hear pulling out of grid spots with what sounds like a locker diff clunking along. But on course, its fricken magic.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?