Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
ah i see. in any case, yea stiffer helper springs to absorb more of the weight compression leading to a lower car?
NO. stiffer helper may mean quieter driving on a bumper concrete highway.
if its more than 225 lbs helper spring then you effectively have 'progressive springs'... probably used for serious aero and not for you or me

if the helper compresses without any force it's not going to do anything for the height and just be a spacer on the strut mount?
YES

it's definitely not just from the additional space given by a helper i dont think, since i already asked the question about a longer spring. the only way a minimal helper would provide more droop is if it extended the strut by the height of the helper, but that's going to just raise the car if the helper basically doesn't do anything.
NO. droop is *starting point* of the shock (while standing) to full travel (car lifted)
you change the *starting point* by changing spring perch or spring length, then it changes the droop

Old Mar 3, 2022, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
thanks for the detailed. essentially, 2 is where i'm at and 1 is what i'm considering doing to add more. but for now, im going to leave it at 2. is the idea then to get the inner up as quickly as possible? because the rear uprights will certainly do that.
IMO, Yes. I use the bar as a trim tool to effect how soon the wheel lifts or late the wheel drops. I also run around -3.25 deg of rear camber. Especially with the rear uprights the rear loves more camber. -4.0 front, -3.25 rear.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
NO. stiffer helper may mean quieter driving on a bumper concrete highway.
if its more than 225 lbs helper spring then you effectively have 'progressive springs'... probably used for serious aero and not for you or me

YES

NO. droop is *starting point* of the shock (while standing) to full travel (car lifted)
you change the *starting point* by changing spring perch or spring length, then it changes the droop
hmm ok. so weak-*** helper it is? swift has a 0.1kgm spring

Originally Posted by Dallas J
IMO, Yes. I use the bar as a trim tool to effect how soon the wheel lifts or late the wheel drops. I also run around -3.25 deg of rear camber. Especially with the rear uprights the rear loves more camber. -4.0 front, -3.25 rear.
how did you achieve that level of rear camber?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 02:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Let me caveat this all with, there are other ways to skin this cat. Ive tried all but high front/low rear rates. Nothing has been as good for me or as fast, especially in tight stuff.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

how did you achieve that level of rear camber?
Max camber on the lower control arm, then more low.

To get more at a higher ride height you'd need an adjustable lower arm. Right now the Megan or Racefab is the only ones Id use, especially with my uprights.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Max camber on the lower control arm, then more low.

To get more at a higher ride height you'd need an adjustable lower arm. Right now the Megan or Racefab is the only ones Id use, especially with my uprights.
more low and more spring is always the answer
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
-4.0 front, -3.25 rear.
You should preface this that you're on very wide slicks and (I'm guessing) most often on concrete. Street tires and asphalt will not require as much camber.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
You should preface this that you're on very wide slicks and (I'm guessing) most often on concrete. Street tires and asphalt will not require as much camber.
The ER endurance Evo with IIRC 220 tw tires running on asphalt tracks also run this much. They have hundreds of hours on track now and just based on tire wear they also ended up where I found in AX was needed.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

hmm ok. so weak-*** helper it is? swift has a 0.1kgm spring?
Yup. Something that ends up very thin when fully compressed. Mine (20Nmm/114lbs) compresses to 35mm which is a lot of 'useless spacer'
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
The ER endurance Evo with IIRC 220 tw tires running on asphalt tracks also run this much. They have hundreds of hours on track now and just based on tire wear they also ended up where I found in AX was needed.
I'd be curious to hear what they're running for springs and bars. I may be off on this but my hipshot guess is they're on softer springs/bars than other guys and they're using more camber to account for the increased body roll they get from that. Concrete has a higher coefficient of friction than asphalt, which means more grip, so it's expected for more camber to be needed on concrete.

FWIW none of the regular-ish track evos I've worked with have had a need for more than -2.5° in the rear.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

They are running moderate rates. Nothing crazy but not soft either. One other component, a stock upright evo has a higher camber gain in the rear but also a higher rate of change of camber gain (camber acceleration?). With the SSB rear uprights its reset closer to OEM and more linear gain which is the component that makes the rear more predictable. But because of that it tends to need more camber than a stock upright car.

For example, Stock evo rear lowered 1.5" will be in the 1.0-1.1 (off the top of my head) deg/inch and with my uprights goes back to 0.6-0.7 deg/in and a stock ride height evo is 0.5 deg/in.

EDIT: Just to add, this all comes back to making the rear do more work. I put as much load into the outside rear tire as I can which means its getting more roll also. Just make sure rear tires are warm before you go too ham on track
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Ayoustin (Mar 4, 2022), MrAWD (Mar 4, 2022)
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Some tighter/faster (track) corners are banked, which might be a factor
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Why does it matter if it low? Once the wheel droops past the springs full extension nothing is pushing the tire down but it doesnt matter cause the bar is keeping the tire up. You can have more travel if you want, but its not going to effects much of anything. Using an assist/tender spring "can" soften the landing when tire sets down but it has a negative effect of reducing total roll rate at that intermediate zone which is not good.
Spot on. Extra droop travel (with helper springs) isn't all that helpful for motorsports situations.

It could help very marginally for daily driving. If you're going over uneven surfaces like a driveway entrance and you find yourself lifting a tire, some extra droop travel could reduce the thunk when that tire hits the ground again. But that's about it.

Unless you're jumping the car, in which case you're going to need a lot more droop travel.
The following users liked this post:
Dallas J (Mar 4, 2022)
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

one way to find out is to put a 4x4 block of wood under one rear tire, & see how much the other side droops. I'm on 'soft setting' only on the rear sway bar and I could try it later
Old Mar 4, 2022, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Dallas

Is ER running your suspension all around?

When you say moderately stiff, do you mean 12kg front 14kg rear, or substantially more spring rate?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?