Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
perhaps, but again need to drop the subframe. it began right after the part install too, so not sure how much that plays into it.

fwiw i was shocked how bad the ap racing brakes were compared to the evo x setup for autox yesterday. it was a cold day but i never had problems before, at least not on the st43's.

car just didn't feel like it had any braking performance. the brakes were bedded before, and if they weren't bedded enough they are now. the brakes did get better through the event, but still just did not have the stopping power i was hoping or expecting, coming from the evo x brembos. but at least i don't need to rebuild for dust boots every year?
Sounds like a difference in compounds. You can get compounds similar to ST43 for the AP calipers: https://apracing.com/race-car/brake-...-pad-materials

Gloc and a few other companies will also make their compounds in any shape pad too, just need to contact them.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
perhaps, but again need to drop the subframe. it began right after the part install too, so not sure how much that plays into it.
A quick spray of wd40 might tell you if its the bushings. I just did subframe/trans a few times and my swaybar was groaning when I put back the control arms. I think I used too much purple degreaser in the general area getting rid of ATF
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
A quick spray of wd40 might tell you if its the bushings. I just did subframe/trans a few times and my swaybar was groaning when I put back the control arms. I think I used too much purple degreaser in the general area getting rid of ATF
the creaking sound is almost certainly rubbing. i can feel it in the wheel as i turn, that it's physically touching something. always willing to try the easy solutions though
Old Mar 28, 2022, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts

fwiw i was shocked how bad the ap racing brakes were compared to the evo x setup for autox yesterday. it was a cold day but i never had problems before, at least not on the st43's.

car just didn't feel like it had any braking performance. the brakes were bedded before, and if they weren't bedded enough they are now. the brakes did get better through the event, but still just did not have the stopping power i was hoping or expecting, coming from the evo x brembos. but at least i don't need to rebuild for dust boots every year?
Can you describe the performance issue?

E.g soft pedal, hard pedal, normal pedal but just no stopping performance etc.

Id say its a pad issue you dont have the right pads for the application. Probably not getting them hot enough as the ST43 need a bit of heat to work
Old Mar 28, 2022, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I fought poor braking in AutoX for years while using ST43s. Changing to XT10 and the Aero6 caliper was a dramatic improvement.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

the st 43s always felt great for me, I've never had trouble warming up brakes, even on cold days. i was on ds3.12s, which are a more track oriented pad.

looking into getting maybe ds2500s for street/autox.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Ds2500 suck ***. If you want to try them (stock brembo sized) I’ll send you mine. I don’t plan on using them. They sucked in initial bite, heat tolerance, total braking, etc. only really on on the street. In which case I’d just toss in some Napa premiums instead.

st43 usually have great sharp response but even when you think they’re hot (autox) they still aren’t hot enough for the release to make the ABS happy. They release too hard and when ABS kicks in the total braking drops dramatically.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm on the standard ap racing pad size, whatever that exactly is. I'll take a look at the ferodo line up to see if there is something else more appropriate, but this setup has me missing the Evox/st43 setup.

from a quick search, the dsuno or ds1.11 may be good for an autox option

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 28, 2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm on the standard ap racing pad size, whatever that exactly is. I'll take a look at the ferodo line up to see if there is something else more appropriate, but this setup has me missing the Evox/st43 setup.
Stop throwing your toys out of the cot, Your jumping to conclusions prematurely. The AP caliper setup is miles better than the stock/ evoX brembo setup you just need to get the right pad for your application. You didnt answer about what the pad feel actually was so its pretty hard to offer a solution as different feelings indicate which direction you need to go in. e.g more aggressive pad or less.

ST43 might be hard to get working with the ABS as it has such a high bite.

Remember youve got a better caliper now and i think you went to a larger disc also? So your braking setup will be alot more efficient than what it used to be so youll probably need different pads to what you know.

Try get your hands on a set of Pagid RST3, They work from cold so no ABS issues, Have good progressive bite and good fade resistance. Or if you want a little more street go to the RS14. I run RS14 in the back of mine and RST3 in the front with a 362mm rotor on the front.
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

car just wouldn't stop, nothing specific to mention about the pedal. it did press further down once or twice.

it's a smaller disc, I'm on the 8350 setup so went from 350 to 325. it lacked the initial braking torque I was looking for for autocross. yes, going to try another pad for autocross but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make another event this year
Old Mar 28, 2022, 06:53 PM
EvoM Guru

car just wouldn't stop, nothing specific to mention about the pedal. it did press further down once or twice.

it's a smaller disc, I'm on the 8350 setup so went from 350 to 325. it lacked the initial braking torque I was looking for for autocross. yes, going to try another pad for autocross but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make another event this year
So you had a normal pedal but the car just wouldnt slow down? Sounds like the pad is too cold possibly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
deylag (Mar 28, 2022), kyoo (Mar 28, 2022)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
First world evo problems lol. Something along the lines of "My AP racing brakes are too efficient at cooling so I cant get my pads up to a working stopping temperature."
The following 3 users liked this post by deylag:
Bee-Raddd (Mar 28, 2022), kaj (Mar 28, 2022), Kevin. (Mar 29, 2022)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 05:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I've literally never heard anyone talk about being pleased with Ferodo pad performance. Just my .02, stick with compounds that are known to work well.
The following users liked this post:
Bee-Raddd (Mar 29, 2022)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
So you had a normal pedal but the car just wouldnt slow down? Sounds like the pad is too cold possibly.
This. This DS3.12's are amazing at producing over 1.6g's at braking...soooo stop driving like an old lady lol.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
FWIW - Back when, I began glazing ST43's pretty early on brownbo's, they are widely considered a beginner pad that has a very long "medium" torque and heat range. It's a common pad shape on the 8350's, and ST's in that shape will be hella cheaper then the Evo ones. However I would warn that you'll THEN begin complaining that the sweep range of the ST's miss the bottom ~10mm of the disc simply because they aren't made for the kit....DS's are. The DS2500's would provide early torque but will dust a LOT when pushed too long. Great for hill climbing but I wouldn't necessarly track or AX them with Hoosiers on.

A better medium for you may be Carbotech's listed in teh D50 depth. Some examples here: https://discoveryparts.com/carbotech...ctfrp3116.html

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?