Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Funny you say that, my surgeon said the ADR's are much more prevalent in Europe and India or China. US has been slow to adopt because the one of the two original discs was terrible it typically failed in <1yr (Charite disc). And the other (pro disc) maybe 8-12yrs. Canada's public healthcare system has not approved their use as far as I know.

In lab test (I know, more theory vs real word, but still), the ActivL disc's polyethylene insert wears at about 15% of the rate the pro disc insert wears at, and the titanium/cobalt plates are stronger in any mode of force than my actual vertebrae (I'd brake my back before fracturing an implant end plate). And the forces required dislodge the end plate from the vertebrae also exceed any forces every recorded on the L-spine.

From a financial stand point, my insurance covered it, I just had to come up with the full amount of my cost share (deductible and coinsurance up to my out of pocket max) which was $8500. Good news I won't have to pay anymore medical bills the rest of the year, for physical therapy, etc.

The hope is obviously the disc lasts a very long time. And hopefully in the future there is an even better disc to put in. Or as you said, the L-spine doesnt have much ROM anyways, so if in 20yrs the disc has to come out and I have to get fused, so be it. For now the ADR offered the potential of much faster recovery and a better 10yr prognosis.
Cool, thats very interesting to hear and good to see. Hopefully will turn out to work as good as advertised! I'm actually switching teams and moving to 'murica this summer. Just doing my US licensing exams right now. US and Canada are 90% the same for healthcare but I have to get up to speed on some of these specific practice differences.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Cool, thats very interesting to hear and good to see. Hopefully will turn out to work as good as advertised! I'm actually switching teams and moving to 'murica this summer. Just doing my US licensing exams right now. US and Canada are 90% the same for healthcare but I have to get up to speed on some of these specific practice differences.
Yeah. The standard of care here is still Microdiscectomy, revision Microdiscectomy, then fusion. Which my surgeon weighed both options with me, and then pretty much gave me the choice as he felt I was a good candidate for the ADR, but understands some people get nervous about the "newer" practice areas like that. Obviously chose the ADR.

My dad had L4/L5 and L5/S1 fused 7 weeks. I'm 2 weeks post op now and based on how the two of us walk, and how he describes his pain, I'm very quickly catching up to him and I'm only two weeks post op.

Best of luck on the move and your new licensing
Old Apr 14, 2022, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
@letsgetthisdone hope for a smooth and speedy recovery!

Quick question for you SCCA people. I have never done an event (autox) with them. The event says you get 4 runs. Does that mean 4 sessions or 4 laps? If sessions, how many laps do you normally get per session?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
@letsgetthisdone hope for a smooth and speedy recovery!

Quick question for you SCCA people. I have never done an event (autox) with them. The event says you get 4 runs. Does that mean 4 sessions or 4 laps? If sessions, how many laps do you normally get per session?
Typically 4 runs means 4 laps, not sessions. What SCCA chapter/region will you be running with?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim3142
Typically 4 runs means 4 laps, not sessions. What SCCA chapter/region will you be running with?
Well that sucks haha. This event is through the San Diego region but run in Lake Elsinore.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Well that sucks haha. This event is through the San Diego region but run in Lake Elsinore.
maybe they have double entry like in my region
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
maybe they have double entry like in my region
They do for another $25, so not a big deal. Just sucks cause the normal series I run with I get 12 runs a day for the same price.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
They do for another $25, so not a big deal. Just sucks cause the normal series I run with I get 12 runs a day for the same price.
+$20 for us, but we get 5 runs with SCCA (200 entries). 6-8 with BMW & Porsche clubs (80 entries max).
Sometimes its just pointless when tires etc get hot. I've seen 2 local guys do 1 run, set FTD and then head straight to the paddock to swap tires/pack up One day I'll be that guy
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
SCCA is typically where you going to practice for national level competition. We do 5-6 runs but only first 3 count for point. Remainder show up in "all runs" in the results just for the coulda shoulda woulda.

Its the smaller clubs where you can run nearly till you're just tired of making runs. But considering the cost per run in my car (~$50 or so), we dont like to do that many.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
My local group does 4-5 runs for the day. 50 entries. Done by 1pm or so, so at least you have the rest of your day free. It's definitely not about seat time, but still fun to flog your car around with near wreckless abandon.
I did a full season last year just to see what it was like. It was a neat experience.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Man, I was looking forward to try a SCCA event until now... I get 3-4 laps per session and 3 sessions. Back to back runs if you want. No working the course either. Plus free runs after hours.... Now I feel spoiled haha.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 09:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Man, I was looking forward to try a SCCA event until now... I get 3-4 laps per session and 3 sessions. Back to back runs if you want. No working the course either. Plus free runs after hours.... Now I feel spoiled haha.
I do non-SCCA events for the same reasons. Far more runs, usually no work assignments, etc.
SCCA is cool if you want to go all in and make it your thing. It's really challenging to learn a course quickly and do well. Hilarity via playing PacMan and DNFing usually ensues.
Personally I like more seat time per dollar, but I'm just into different stuff.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
At the end of the day its all just a game. And you get to choose if you're looking for top competition or bang for your buck. Some places you might get both, but usually not. And nothing to look down on any club, there are just different levels of effort vs fun. I like doing both.

But for me, I've been in the game so long I care about national events more than anything. So I do what I can to prep for that.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

My event is with SCCA national Champs as well as OUSC Champs. Very competitive with the best of the best. No way I will take home an overall season win (non class specific). Out of the 120 cars that are running the series, I am currently in 17th place overall (out of every class, 1st in my class) which i am more than fine with. We are only 2 race weekends in so lots to go. Let's see if you guys know anyone on the list.

Old Apr 16, 2022, 07:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
My event is with SCCA national Champs as well as OUSC Champs. Very competitive with the best of the best. No way I will take home an overall season win (non class specific). Out of the 120 cars that are running the series, I am currently in 17th place overall (out of every class, 1st in my class) which i am more than fine with. We are only 2 race weekends in so lots to go. Let's see if you guys know anyone on the list.
Who doesnt know Tom Berry? EvO SCCA legend

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?