Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
lapping vs timed events i guess. maybe full face helmets will be required
I really don’t understand some of the regs out your way.

I watched a Jacky Ding video the other day, supercharged S2000, sequential, aero, wide wheels, so potential for big speeds - zero requirement for a roll cage but must run windows down.

The other guy of Gears and Gasoline with the Civic, highly tuned, aero, wide wheels, completely stripped out - ok he had a cage, runs windows down, is allowed to drive at full pace in shorts and tee - no fire retardant clothing at all. Seems crazy to me.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:40 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
That makes sense, but is there any way to vent the block if you still have balance shafts?
A whole bunch of torque will usually do the trick.

Old May 2, 2022, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by TimC909

I watched a Jacky Ding video the other day, supercharged S2000, sequential, aero, wide wheels, so potential for big speeds - zero requirement for a roll cage but must run windows down.

The other guy of Gears and Gasoline with the Civic, highly tuned, aero, wide wheels, completely stripped out - ok he had a cage, runs windows down, is allowed to drive at full pace in shorts and tee - no fire retardant clothing at all. Seems crazy to me.
I think the shorts and tee is for more people to come and race The US is just so big there's racing everywhere, in crazy big lots, airports and tracks
Old May 2, 2022, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Windows up is a hazard. As someone who's had a shattered driver's window get sent into his car and spent over 5 hours in the ER getting glass and metal slivers removed from his face and neck I can assure you running windows down is way more safe.

The block needs to be vented, not just the valve cover. Evacuating CC pressure closer to the source keeps pressure out of the head and allows for better drain back. Also, cap the rear valve cover port or leave the stock PCV valve. It will always see liquid oil go into it under accel, there is pretty much no way around that.

If you had a full face helmet on getting glass sprayed at you isnt an issue.

Ive seen a rollover crash in a honda civic infront of me where 2 people got badly hurt and a photographer captured the sequence in slo mo and u can see the passengers arm come out the window and go back in again. If your arm landed the wrong way bye bye arm.

The rules you guys have up there in some parts are bizarre. You guys are way stricter or licensing and training and what not but way more casual on general safety it blows my mind.

We dont have any windows up windows down rules here but you must wear at least cotton overalls no matter what event your doing and a full face helmet although it can have an open front and no visor like those stilo rally ones. most tracks here are mandatory no passengers and head restraint devices also now.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

The SCCA Time Trial program I'm in allows shorts and tshirts but everything should be made of cotton including underwear. Covid also introduced self-car-inspection which is cool. No more explaining to random mechanic what you plan to do lol
Rules are different with race compound tires. I think TT is technically not wheel-to-wheel racing thats why its more relaxed, waiting for an accident/incidents before they make adjustments
I think we also let more of the younger generation to run the new programs
Old May 2, 2022, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

What is everyone's take here on their oil catch can issues? I've never had issues like that, though I'm more concerned going forward at a higher power level.
Depends on the kind of track your racing at. Looks like they were at VIR which has a couple long sweeping right hand corners which would be hard on the engines oil system.

I still have some issues with pushing oil out the rocker cover on tracks with long right hand corners. Just bought a Kiggly HLA to try assist with that.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Depends on the kind of track your racing at. Looks like they were at VIR which has a couple long sweeping right hand corners which would be hard on the engines oil system.

I still have some issues with pushing oil out the rocker cover on tracks with long right hand corners. Just bought a Kiggly HLA to try assist with that.
check out my latest setup
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11952363
tested in righthand sweepers but only in top of 2nd gear so far
Old May 2, 2022, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

check out my latest setup
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11952363
tested in righthand sweepers but only in top of 2nd gear so far
Yea need to test it at high speed. our worst corner is about 5 seconds at the top of 4th gear thats when i get it pushing out past the rocker cover seals lol
Old May 2, 2022, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
That makes sense, but is there any way to vent the block if you still have balance shafts?
No, delete them. You could drill and tap the block but that's a bit of a gamble depending where you do it.

If you had a full face helmet on getting glass sprayed at you isnt an issue.

Ive seen a rollover crash in a honda civic infront of me where 2 people got badly hurt and a photographer captured the sequence in slo mo and u can see the passengers arm come out the window and go back in again. If your arm landed the wrong way bye bye arm.
I always wear a full face helmet, that happened on the street at relatively low speeds (30-40mph). I had glass in my arm too. It gets everywhere, down your shirt, in your pants. Just no. If you think that closed windows will benefit you enough then get polycarbonate. Non laminated glass is not fun at all.

The arm out the window thing is exactly why wrist restrains, arm nets, and window nets exist. The big crash that happened 10 years ago with that evo on Pikes Peak, if you watch in slowmo there is an arm out the window as the car is rolling. Safety is often overlooked, but at the end of the day, it's the driver's job to ensure that they feel safe enough with what they have.

Things are generally more lax in TA or TT settings. When you get into W2W racing it is considerably more strict.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea need to test it at high speed. our worst corner is about 5 seconds at the top of 4th gear thats when i get it pushing out past the rocker cover seals lol
ya. my next one is 3weeks away. I was just pointing out the catch & oil return solution . TT is a few laps at max and some cruise/cool down in between so a small reservoir might be enough for me
Old May 2, 2022, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

ya. my next one is 3weeks away. I was just pointing out the catch & oil return solution . TT is a few laps at max and some cruise/cool down in between so a small reservoir might be enough for me
Yea return is a must. Although youd want to be doing regular oil changes as it will mix all the fuel vapour and contaminates that generally collect in a catch can back into your oil.

That looks like a pretty good system. also good to get the kiggly in there and baffle the rocker cover.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (May 2, 2022)
Old May 2, 2022, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea return is a must. Although youd want to be doing regular oil changes as it will mix all the fuel vapour and contaminates that generally collect in a catch can back into your oil.
That looks like a pretty good system. also good to get the kiggly in there and baffle the rocker cover.
Yep. I tackled kiggly, extra baffling, the scraper and bigger ports which i think helped. vacuum works so I'm not too worried about fuel vapors. oil is still green and no milky color on the oil cap. I am slightly worried about the heater valve leaking tho
Old May 2, 2022, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep. I tackled kiggly, extra baffling, the scraper and bigger ports which i think helped. vacuum works so I'm not too worried about fuel vapors. oil is still green and no milky color on the oil cap. I am slightly worried about the heater valve leaking tho
I did see you had an oil separator on your diagram thats pretty trick
Old May 4, 2022, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TimC909

Yea I've come to learn the safety standards are very variable track-to-track. There is a track by Toronto I used to frequent that doesn't even need helmets or really anything before you can go full-send. There were people that would literally roll up from the street in an AMG G63 with no idea what they're doing and just send it because they are of the understanding they have a "racing" mercedes. Like never mind shorts and t-shirts if they're not trying to go out on the track with flip flops. The tracks closer to me now (mid-west Canada) are much more serious with safety standards. US tracks (the few I've been to in the Northeast) seem reasonably serious about safety as well. I try to drive windows up if allowed but that is pretty rare in most of the tracks I've been to.
Old May 8, 2022, 08:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Hello fellow corpses, Still kicking it from the dead!

Over the past week i have installed my new Kiggly HLA and done some additional sealing around the rocker cover to prevent the venting issue i had at certain circuits with long right hand sweepers!

Also i had to pull off my sump to have the turbo drain fitting replaced with a weld in fitting as it was leaking quite bad. the threads were damaged after it had initially cracked around the threaded portion of the sump. While it was off i threw some new big end bearings in for good measure. Usually i do this over winter but with 1 round to go in our championship and 95% of the way there i figured might aswell just do it now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
alpinaturbo (May 8, 2022), ViciousLSD (May 9, 2022)

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?