Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm picturing this

When I leave it on TARMAC, it gets pretty close to that...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Rear camber lets you crank up the rear roll stiffness and also helps reduce the understeer caused by the rear diff preload.

That said we're only at like 3.2 deg in the rear.
What are your thoughts on toe in/out on the front and rear?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan
not much toe up front, lots of toe in on the rear.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear camber lets you crank up the rear roll stiffness and also helps reduce the understeer caused by the rear diff preload.

That said we're only at like 3.2 deg in the rear.
not much toe up front, lots of toe in on the rear.
Really appreciate it!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan
we run toe out all round and its transformed the handling.

3mm toe out per side on front 2mm per side out on the rear.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Your desired alignment is going to depend heavily on how the car is setup and your driving style.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 03:19 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd

If youre running toe out in the rear to get it to rotate, why not run less toe and more rear spring? More rear spring will actually make the rear work more. Rear toe might move the back a bit but you're basically not letting it reach as much slip angle where it can maximize the work it can do. And the more you can work the outside rear, the more the inside front can work.

I run slight toe-out up front, slight toe-in out back. I havent played with it nearly as much over the last couple years because I have so many other variable most don't have control over or at least not this level of control. But I see no reason to run toe out in the rear.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If youre running toe out in the rear to get it to rotate, why not run less toe and more rear spring? More rear spring will actually make the rear work more. Rear toe might move the back a bit but you're basically not letting it reach as much slip angle where it can maximize the work it can do. And the more you can work the outside rear, the more the inside front can work.

I run slight toe-out up front, slight toe-in out back. I havent played with it nearly as much over the last couple years because I have so many other variable most don't have control over or at least not this level of control. But I see no reason to run toe out in the rear.
You see no reason to but have you tried it? it got rid of alot of my mid and corner exit understeer.

Was a trick given to me by an old dog down here who races an evo and done rally for years. his thing is on rails. Cant add more rear spring im already on 21kg rear springs haha.

Video of the old fella in the evo absolutely eating a WRX round the inside of a corner thats notorious for understeer.
Facebook Post
Old Apr 16, 2019, 04:21 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Heh, fair enough. You're in the realm of stiff enough in the rear, though IB4 Marshal says you can still go more

Still feels quite a bit like a bandaid. I would say in Marshals case its also a bandaid but only because he's living within the rules to properly fix the car. Might be wrong, maybe he'll set me straight
Old Apr 16, 2019, 04:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Does it matter that the guy in the vid is running a different chassis? Or are they similar enough to the ct9a?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

They are similar enough i guess. slight differences but not significant. I personally found the toe out on the rear to be a huge improvement over 2mm toe in i used to run.

I think my limiting factor Dallas is that im still on Tein monoflex shocks which cant be revalved. i think once i upgrade shocks to something decent ill find the car completely different again which is the plan over the next couple months.

You lot must be getting excited with summer coming up haha. winter rebuild time for me
Old Apr 16, 2019, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd

Toe out is good for balance, bad for going fast. Can't generate high lateral grip when you are countersteering.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts

Been mocking up the oil tank for the dry sump system... Not having the ABS there helps..
The following 2 users liked this post by kikiturbo:
alpinaturbo (Apr 18, 2019), griceiv (Apr 18, 2019)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo

Been mocking up the oil tank for the dry sump system... Not having the ABS there helps..
Why a square tank and why in the engine bay? be cool to see it all finished.

Dont forget you need to run a vent line into it from the head then out of it off the top to a catch can also.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
engine bay - because it is close to the oil pump and also because it is a road car.... if it was a race car it would be somewhere in the passenger footwell probably..

This is just a quick mockup to check for clearence, space available and volume.. Top part will be a the air / oil separator for the oil coming from scavenge pumps and will be round, and the part on the right is the final air/oil separator / catch tank that is then vented into the intake. I aim for about 6 litres of oil in the tank plus ample space for its volume growth..

As for the venting of the cam cover.. I will make a provision but will try to avoid it and vent the block just trough the scavenge pumps so I can run a partial vacuum in the engine.. If I measure some pressure in the block I will run some sort of one way valve from the block (I have a hole in the block with AN fitting for venting from the block) and connect that to the oil tank... but will measure without it first. I have removed the vent channels from the head so cant really vent from the cam cover anymore..
The following 2 users liked this post by kikiturbo:
alpinaturbo (Apr 19, 2019), Bee-Raddd (Apr 21, 2019)

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?