Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
@Dallas that's horrible. I used to DD my car year round in Canada but I stopped that after running into these kinds of problems. Stripped it to the shell and repaired/restored everything to never to deal with that kind of stuff again. Hope some quick fix works for you but yea if it's truly galled I see a dissection into the body to get that nut out being needed. If it's rust seized then probably one of those induction heaters might be your best bet since you can't really get a torch on that nut.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Just burn the whole car down
Old Mar 7, 2023, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
part out?

The following 4 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
Bee-Raddd (Mar 7, 2023), Dallas J (Mar 7, 2023), MrAWD (Mar 7, 2023), TimC909 (Mar 7, 2023)
Old Mar 7, 2023, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Old Mar 7, 2023, 05:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Put the bolt thru hold it up flush and weld the head to the subframe lolol. Dont envy you with that one. at a minimum id say its subframe out.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
some of you know i am ocd - about to display some of it here:
- i ordered volk ce28 ii club racer's in 17x9.5 from evasive during the black friday sale in november 2021. i received the wheels ~ a few weeks ago to my st louis home, which i arrived at this week to take care of a few things.

the wheels look great, except for one thing: one of the wheels outer barrel (where the tire covers) is not finished, where the other 3 are. the inner barrel seems not to have the clear coat finish that the other 3 do as well. evasive basically said, sorry that's how it is, but i'm really annoyed about it, especially the inner barrel. ESPECIALLY after waiting a year and half for these ****ing wheels, expected them to be perfect.

the good wheels:

the oddball:

Old Mar 7, 2023, 07:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
- i ordered volk ce28 ii club racer's in 17x9.5 from evasive during the black friday sale in november 2021. i received the wheels ~ a few weeks ago to my st louis home, which i arrived at this week to take care of a few things.

the wheels look great, except for one thing: one of the wheels outer barrel (where the tire covers) is not finished, where the other 3 are. the inner barrel seems not to have the clear coat finish that the other 3 do as well. evasive basically said, sorry that's how it is, but i'm really annoyed about it, especially the inner barrel. ESPECIALLY after waiting a year and half for these ****ing wheels, expected them to be perfect.
Sometimes when your OCD and its good that youve recognized that you are, You need to take a step back and ask what is reasonable from a non OCD perspective.

I do think you raise a valid point that one wheel hasnt been finished. I think maybe you should contact volk directly with your photos. Tell them who the supplier is and that they were not helpful. maybe include a copy of their correspondence and ask Volk for assistance.

Looking at the photos i doubt you'd ever notice as it will be covered in road soot and brake dust within 5min and the rest is hidden by a tyre. they will be scratched the first time the pimply 17 year old tyre fitter touches them anyway.

However your paying serious money for a set of Volk wheels its not like they are chinese junk. I would approach them directly and see what they say. If they arent forthcoming i wouldnt lose sleep over it however would reconsider purchasing from that supplier in the future if thats the level of their customer care.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd
Sometimes when your OCD and its good that youve recognized that you are, You need to take a step back and ask what is reasonable from a non OCD perspective.

I do think you raise a valid point that one wheel hasnt been finished. I think maybe you should contact volk directly with your photos. Tell them who the supplier is and that they were not helpful. maybe include a copy of their correspondence and ask Volk for assistance.

Looking at the photos i doubt you'd ever notice as it will be covered in road soot and brake dust within 5min and the rest is hidden by a tyre. they will be scratched the first time the pimply 17 year old tyre fitter touches them anyway.

However your paying serious money for a set of Volk wheels its not like they are chinese junk. I would approach them directly and see what they say. If they arent forthcoming i wouldnt lose sleep over it however would reconsider purchasing from that supplier in the future if thats the level of their customer care.
they (evasive) sent the photos to volk usa, but basically hinted there's nothing they can do and nothing that can be done. i am irritated, and in the end know that i basically have to accept it. no it won't be visible covered in soot and dust and whatever, and maybe in 5 years i'll get them re-coated to a nice bright metallic silver. it's moreso the process, the waiting, the expectation, and the lack of giving a **** that irks me. if this is volk's new process (not covering center barrel where tire covers, less clearcoat on the inner barrel, fine, but why did i get 3 that were beautifully coated fully all the way around?

non-ocd mind says it doesn't matter, and it ultimately doesn't, but at the same time i should have gotten the right, correct, fully finished product for the money i paid.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I took the AC out of the Evo a few years ago. I'm in Texas so it gets pretty warm sometimes. As such, I bought an AC replacement for the Evo...

The following 3 users liked this post by Terror Rising:
Dallas J (Mar 8, 2023), MrAWD (Mar 8, 2023), RallySport9 (Mar 8, 2023)
Old Mar 8, 2023, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

This would bother me quite abit but I'm also super ocd. Especially when you're buying wheels that are top of the line, waiting so long, paying so much ect... From Volk I expect no mistakes/inconsistencies. I would probably get over it after afew days though then just accept it and be thankful I have such awesome wheels. Perfect spec btw. nice choice on the color also. I wouldn't respray.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Once you put tires on it, you'll never see that area again. In product development we have things we consider A, B, and C surfaces. "A" being the obvious visual areas like the spokes, "B" would be like the inner barrel, and "C" would be were no one sees. j

I cant imagine sending something back complaining a "C" surface isnt finished like an "A" surface.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Meathooker (Mar 8, 2023), MrAWD (Mar 8, 2023)
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
The inner barrel being not finished the same would be the deal breaker for me. The "C" section Dallas described not so much, but yes that inner barrel I would be sending it back...
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

yea the inner barrel "B" is more the issue, i wouldn't have bothered posting about the outer barrel "C", as annoying as that is for my ocd.

it's also a little bit about the inconsistency. if all 4 of the wheels were like that, I would have assumed that's just how they were all sprayed. But I received 3 that were fully covered, A, B, and C. anyway...

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 8, 2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
yea the inner barrel "B" is more the issue, i wouldn't have bothered posting about the outer barrel "C", as annoying as that is for my ocd.

it's also a little bit about the inconsistency. if all 4 of the wheels were like that, I would have assumed that's just how they were all sprayed. But I received 3 that were fully covered, A, B, and C. anyway...
I wonder if it's a quality escape or an actual production change with poor inventory management. You save materials and time by not finishing those surfaces. Someone on here recently bought a BBK front and got two different revisions of the calipers.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh, I didnt realize it was the inside of the hoop. That would be pretty annoying to me too. Like, it doesnt have to be perfect cosmetically but it cant be dramatically different.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?