Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
it's hard to tell from the pics/lighting but it's more evident on the lip - the good ones still have that metallic flake, the oddball looks almost matte?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

i've got some extra heat-wrap tape. is there any point in covering the top hose (radiator to engine coolant hose) or the hose below (uicp to bpv)?

fwiw i've been driving the evo around quite a bit to make sure the coolant level has stayed steady, and as far as i can tell, looks like the coolant leak is finally taken care of.

unbelievable that the shop forgot to tighten down the head studs. same shop that didn't properly secure the oil pan leading to a massive leak. this all from a very, very well known shop that most people wouldn't hesitate twice going to.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i've got some extra heat-wrap tape. is there any point in covering the top hose (radiator to engine coolant hose) or the hose below (uicp to bpv)?

fwiw i've been driving the evo around quite a bit to make sure the coolant level has stayed steady, and as far as i can tell, looks like the coolant leak is finally taken care of.

unbelievable that the shop forgot to tighten down the head studs. same shop that didn't properly secure the oil pan leading to a massive leak. this all from a very, very well known shop that most people wouldn't hesitate twice going to.
Taping the hose and that intercooler pipe are both pointless.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
Bee-Raddd (Mar 13, 2023), kyoo (Mar 12, 2023)
Old Mar 13, 2023, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo

What shop? So we know to avoid.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - the clearcoat on my wing (evo 8 wing) is a disaster. I could call a few autobody/paint shops, but was wondering - has anyone powdercoated it clear?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

well i've been putting the car through a few heat cycles, without going WOT and it looks like whatever job this shop in STL did, I've now got an oil leak. They took off the head, head gasket, etc., and based on the cold accumulation drop it's coming from above the oil pan, probably related to the work they did. I did not have an oil leak before this. I checked the oil pan drain plug and oil filter anyway, but I've got a pic of some oil accumulating on a spot above the pan.

So tired of dealing with issues. Yes I'm not an engineer, but I do pay mechanics to fix a car and assume they actually fix it properly.

It's certainly not a lot of oil that's leaking, but enough to leave a dribble on the garage floor:

jury isn't even fully out on the coolant thing. it's definitely not what it was, but i have topped off the level I always fill to on the coolant overflow. Always do it ice cold, in the garage, I don't pay attention to the coolant when it's hot aside from making sure it doesn't actually overflow. Cold for cold, it shouldn't really move in the overflow tank, and it sure shouldn't be a consistent downward trend of it either.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 08:17 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
To help find the leak, get some foot powder or something similar in that little squeeze bottle. Dust over the area and above. Go for a drive just long enough to get it hot and pull back in. The white powder will help to make a trail from the fluid source.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

i'll give it a shot, will get some tomorrow. sounds like a nightmare to clean though lol.

i just hope i don't get charged again for this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Just get UV dye for oil from and auto parts store, and UV flashlight. Makes it like cheating
Old Mar 13, 2023, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Just get UV dye for oil from and auto parts store, and UV flashlight. Makes it like cheating
yea, that's the other option. something like this, right?

Amazon Amazon

how quick does the oil need to be flushed once something like this is added? it probably never fully leaves the system.

the other thing is, it's a nightmare tangle of cables hoses, and wires on the backside of the engine, and the viewing isn't great from the bottom either. i could add it, but they'd be the ones having to look as they tear stuff back apart. just insane. i don't have a built motor here, oem block, oem head, oem head gaskets and all. how hard can it be to put together this motor so it doesn't leak any oil or coolant?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 09:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
I'm going to wager that it's something on the front case. There really isn't anything on the sides of the block to leak oil. On the back side there's just the Mivec line and on the front side there's just the plug for the balance shaft inspection port and the turbo. The front case has multiple seals on it, all which I've seen leak before.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
I'm going to wager that it's something on the front case. There really isn't anything on the sides of the block to leak oil. On the back side there's just the Mivec line and on the front side there's just the plug for the balance shaft inspection port and the turbo. The front case has multiple seals on it, all which I've seen leak before.
what area of the motor is the front case? is that the side all the belts are on (best I could google images it). i know the shop replaced all the seals when they did the job, so it's possible something didn't get tightened down fully as they did it. all these leaks are really wearing me down.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
check the pcv & valve cover areas
Old Mar 13, 2023, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

ive hand/towel inspected anywhere you can reach. pretty sure it's something either in the back or un-reachable without taking things apart.

im just gonna dump it at the shop and tell them to fix it right. i don't feel like im asking for a lot here, i just want the motor not to leak oil or coolant. i dont have a built motor, big turbo, all sorts of aftermarket stuff. it's pretty much all oem as far as the motor is concerned.

sorry guys, just venting. there are days i wish i kept and enjoyed my stock e92 m3, instead of battling this issue and that issue on the evo. it's not like i'm doing the labor myself and ****ing it up, i'm paying professionals to do it, and i expect them to do it right. i certainly don't **** up at my job.

Last edited by kyoo; Mar 13, 2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 10:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
I do something like this when I put things together. Currently my only oil leak is from that oil temp bung on the IE pan

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?