Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayoustin
My car was 2830 years ago. That was before all the various weight reductions I've done over the past few years. Would wager it sits around 2750 now. Stock fuel tank, gutted interior (like super gutted, my doors are basically just the skins and the interior consists of a seat, dash panel, and shifter), plastic side windows, small extinguisher, fairly normal 8 point cage, stock subframes, stock driveshaft, still on a wet sump, stock steel roof (wish it was aluminum). No carbon on the car.
Your car sounds very similar spec to mine. i have quite a bit of carbon but then i also have paddleshift compressor so the weight would even itself out in comparism. I was quite surprised how heavy it was.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
I guess I shouldnt be that proud of being 2900lbs with a 1/2 cage and full tank of gas lol. Though I have not gutted the doors and have stock subframes and OE glass.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
2900 isn't bad at all. The glass and door guts are a fair bit of weight. With my quick release door hinges I can pull the door off the car and carry it around with one arm lol
Old Jun 22, 2023, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
How much weight does the full cage add?

With my current setup I have a list of SM legal weight reduction I can lose about 100lbs more weight and Im at 3005lbs now with 315s and wood splitter. And I have ZERO weight reduction only mods from the rear of the car. My car is full interior, lights, wipers, etc. I've only pulled the AC and Radio for creature comforts.

With XA rules now, I have 100lbs I can pull off the front of the car but then have to add it back to the rear.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
How much weight does the full cage add?

With my current setup I have a list of SM legal weight reduction I can lose about 100lbs more weight and Im at 3005lbs now with 315s and wood splitter. And I have ZERO weight reduction only mods from the rear of the car. My car is full interior, lights, wipers, etc. I've only pulled the AC and Radio for creature comforts.

With XA rules now, I have 100lbs I can pull off the front of the car but then have to add it back to the rear.

This would be a generalisation and a bit of an estimate but id say about 120LB for the bars.

Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I guess I shouldnt be that proud of being 2900lbs with a 1/2 cage and full tank of gas lol. Though I have not gutted the doors and have stock subframes and OE glass.
Factory to carbon doors is a 137lb saving according to a guy who did it and weighed them on an old forum post i found.

Just cutting the glass and intrusion bars out is 40 - 50lb
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jun 23, 2023)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:08 PM
EvoM Guru

This is a small list ive compiled of weight saving opportunities. this is just from scouring through some of the old weight loss and weight measuring threads and google.

Weights are all in KG sorry. and to note the weight factory i have for doors is for gutted doors not OEM with glass and intrusion. saving there is 135lb if fully factory

The following 2 users liked this post by Bee-Raddd:
alpinaturbo (Jun 23, 2023), ViciousLSD (Jun 22, 2023)
Old Jun 28, 2023, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
is there any part of removing exhaust manifold, intake manifold, downpipe, knock sensor that would require loosening a coolant line? I was down on coolant again after some work, just checking
Old Jun 28, 2023, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
If they unbolted the turbo the coolant lines are running there. Also there are coolant lines running to the throttle body unless bypassed.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If they unbolted the turbo the coolant lines are running there. Also there are coolant lines running to the throttle body unless bypassed.
thanks, yeah that was probably what it was
Old Jun 28, 2023, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Is there any real benefit to installing the RS trunk bar if you have the rear US crash beam? I understand why it would be beneficial on a JDM car with them not having the rear crash beam at all, but on the US cars the beam is already like a thick brace that bolts to both frame rails.

Same with the front crash beam. I wouldn't be surprised if the US spec Evo 8/9's were the most rigid models as they were certainly amongst the heaviest..
Old Jun 28, 2023, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
Is there any real benefit to installing the RS trunk bar if you have the rear US crash beam? I understand why it would be beneficial on a JDM car with them not having the rear crash beam at all, but on the US cars the beam is already like a thick brace that bolts to both frame rails.

Same with the front crash beam. I wouldn't be surprised if the US spec Evo 8/9's were the most rigid models as they were certainly amongst the heaviest..
I run stm's front and rear crash beams. the front crash beam probably saved my motor after a track incident. crash beams are for crashes, not rigidity. not sure re: the rs trunk bar but I run it as well. haven't noticed anything one way or the other, but it's not a bad place to have a small amount of weight
Old Jun 28, 2023, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled_IX

Youd have to test to be sure but I don't think crash beams do anything in the way of rigidity. That's what roll bars, strut tower bars and other bracing including the rs bar does. Crash beams are at the furthest front and rear past the "flex" points of the chassis. Their sole function is to absorb impact.

also since you mentioned models, can someone confirm the evo 9 has something like an extra 200 spot welds to further strengthen the chassis? An improvement from the 8 I read on a post years back.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
I run stm's front and rear crash beams. the front crash beam probably saved my motor after a track incident. crash beams are for crashes, not rigidity. not sure re: the rs trunk bar but I run it as well. haven't noticed anything one way or the other, but it's not a bad place to have a small amount of weight
Yeah I know they are for impacts, but I'd be willing to bet they have some benefit in rigidity even in the slightest amount. The rear crash beam massive and bolts directly into the frame rails mere inches away from where the RS trunk bar is mounted so it just makes me wonder if sort of accomplishes the same thing.

Originally Posted by RallySport9
Youd have to test to be sure but I don't think crash beams do anything in the way of rigidity. That's what roll bars, strut tower bars and other bracing including the rs bar does. Crash beams are at the furthest front and rear past the "flex" points of the chassis. Their sole function is to absorb impact.

also since you mentioned models, can someone confirm the evo 9 has something like an extra 200 spot welds to further strengthen the chassis? An improvement from the 8 I read on a post years back.
The RS bar is also pretty far out on the end of the frame rails. The S15 Spec R had so many chassis improvements over its predecessor (s14) and also had a very similar bar in the trunk. It also had a number of ladder bar braces and small bolt-on sheet metal brackets in various parts of the chassis that resulted in much better chassis rigidity. Its interesting to see the similarities in chassis bracing across different manufacturers, even if they are all based on your typical conventional unibodies

Everything Ive read has indicated the 8 and 9 chassis's are identical.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

seems like after the work (basically intake mani, exhaust mani, downpipe, knock sensor) my AC compressor is not working. anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? it doesnt seem like the compressor is kicking in at all, is there possibly a connection that was left disconnected with the work?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?