Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayoustin
You are more than welcome to keep the balance shafts in your engine, they have their place especially if the car is just a daily driver, but don't go spreading false information and telling people blatantly wrong information by saying that they will damage their engine by removing the balance shafts.
You make valid and true points, and for a car not doing many miles/track, drag only. I myself would feel comfortable driving without them. I'm not saying it's gona destroy your car immediately. I just don't believe it's false to say that secondary vibrations cause other long term issues. How is that possible? If the vibration is enough to back out bolts, that's pretty significant.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
I just picked up a used Tanabe 2.75" DP, Ultimate Racing 3" HFC and a AEM X-series WB. The car already has a Blitz FMIC, Nisei LICP and HKS Super Turbo CBE and I need to find a way to get a Grimmspeed 3-port BCS and OmniPower 3-bar MAP sensor to CA so I can start tuning it. I'm sort of following an FQ360+ build sheet so I'm hoping to get about 300whp/300wtq on 91 with all of these mods. I've driven a stock Evo 9 for 2 and a half years and it's time for some more power and response. You guys think this is doable on 91 and stock injectors?

Last edited by Spooled_IX; Aug 9, 2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
You make valid and true points, and for a car not doing many miles/track, drag only. I myself would feel comfortable driving without them. I'm not saying it's gona destroy your car immediately. I just don't believe it's false to say that secondary vibrations cause other long term issues. How is that possible? If the vibration is enough to back out bolts, that's pretty significant.
You only need the right frequency to back out a bolt. Doesn't have to be severe.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
I just picked up a used Tanabe 2.75" DP, Ultimate Racing 3" HFC and a AEM X-series WB. The car already has a Blitz FMIC, Nisei LICP and HKS Super Turbo CBE and I need to find a way to get a Grimmspeed 3-port BCS and OmniPower 3-bar MAP sensor to CA so I can start tuning it(CA bans sales of certain motorsports products that are deemed to violate smog laws). I'm sort of following an FQ360+ build sheet so I'm hoping to get about 300whp/300wtq on 91 with all of these mods. I've driven a stock Evo 9 for 2 and a half years and it's time for some more power and response. You guys think this is doable on 91 and stock injectors?
300whp on stock injectors and 91 octane around sea level shouldn't be a problem. People have posted dyno sheets with even higher numbers from different dynos.

I'd recommend not aiming too aggressively for specific numbers. See what you get and then back off a little bit for some added safety margin. These cars are fun with the stock turbo uncorked.
The following 2 users liked this post by Construct:
Kevin. (Aug 4, 2023), Spooled_IX (Aug 4, 2023)
Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
These cars are fun with the stock turbo uncorked.
I wish that was my experience
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
has anybody toyed around with upgrading to 1/2 head studs rather than going down the o ring route? or if youve gone down the o ring route have any of you done the head side rather than the block side?

If you have L19 studs how far have you pushed them?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
What HG are you using now? I quite like the look of the SCE Vulcan Cut-Ring gasket but not seen much feedback from it on the 4G63.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Isn’t there issues to be solved with the deck being not stiff enough to tolerate more torque from bigger head studs?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 03:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TimC909
What HG are you using now? I quite like the look of the SCE Vulcan Cut-Ring gasket but not seen much feedback from it on the 4G63.
Ive always just stuck to stock HG to be honest. seen theres some fancy ones around. heaps of options now which is why im stewing over what to do while the head is off

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Isn’t there issues to be solved with the deck being not stiff enough to tolerate more torque from bigger head studs?
You can buy shouldered dowels now and have them installed which allows you to torque down more. This is another option even on standard head stud diameter.
As i understand it the main issue is generally the boost level presses into the head and the material around the nut/washer compresses causing the head to lift off the block.

https://www.tmzperformance.com/shop/...ldered-dowels/
Old Aug 6, 2023, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd
has anybody toyed around with upgrading to 1/2 head studs rather than going down the o ring route? or if youve gone down the o ring route have any of you done the head side rather than the block side?

Just oring it. 1/2" head studs are a headache for 1000whp+

Block or head, take your pick. It's all works well. L19's torqued to 100ftlbs with the oversized nut and .9" washers and oring will hold a lot.
The following users liked this post:
TimC909 (Aug 7, 2023)
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd

Oversized head studs aren't worth the effort. Grab some 625+ studs and call it a day. With o-rings those will hold 1000+.

I generally avoid L19 just because of how corrosion prone the material is. It's a fairly exotic tool steel and when tool steels like it corrode they form weak points in the corrosion and the material doesn't stretch, it snaps.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Depends on who you talk to. The deck on a 4G block isn't crazy thick but still thicker than most. But clamping force is clamping force, whether you get it from stronger materials or larger fasteners, they both deform the deck after a certain point. The bigger issue than block deck thickness is how deep, or not deep, the studs thread into the block. The threads aren't that far below the surface of the deck which forces the deck to deform more easily. If you look at most modern engines the fastener threads for the head fasteners are a good 4-6" below the surface of the deck and aftermarket head studs are like twice as long as 4G head studs. This is where being an iron block is advantageous because it'd be far worse if the threads were this close to the deck in an aluminum block but the principles still apply. Unfortunately I don't think the head fastener threads can be made any lower in the block without breaking into the crankcase.

I recall watching an HPA interview with an engineer who was involved with RX cars that were 4G powered and were making some insane torque at lower RPM and the only way they could keep the deck of the block from flexing was basically adding a thicker deck plate between the block and head.

Edit: here it is

Last edited by Ayoustin; Aug 7, 2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Just oring it. 1/2" head studs are a headache for 1000whp+

Block or head, take your pick. It's all works well. L19's torqued to 100ftlbs with the oversized nut and .9" washers and oring will hold a lot.
Are the oversized nut's the ones that come with the L19s or is that another upgrade? I guess the question is do i need to o ring if i have the L19 studs. i only want to make max like mid 30psi boost for short periods of time.

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
Oversized head studs aren't worth the effort. Grab some 625+ studs and call it a day. With o-rings those will hold 1000+.

I generally avoid L19 just because of how corrosion prone the material is. It's a fairly exotic tool steel and when tool steels like it corrode they form weak points in the corrosion and the material doesn't stretch, it snaps.

Depends on who you talk to. The deck on a 4G block isn't crazy thick but still thicker than most. But clamping force is clamping force, whether you get it from stronger materials or larger fasteners, they both deform the deck after a certain point. The bigger issue than block deck thickness is how deep, or not deep, the studs thread into the block. The threads aren't that far below the surface of the deck which forces the deck to deform more easily. If you look at most modern engines the fastener threads for the head fasteners are a good 4-6" below the surface of the deck and aftermarket head studs are like twice as long as 4G head studs. This is where being an iron block is advantageous because it'd be far worse if the threads were this close to the deck in an aluminum block but the principles still apply. Unfortunately I don't think the head fastener threads can be made any lower in the block without breaking into the crankcase.

I recall watching an HPA interview with an engineer who was involved with RX cars that were 4G powered and were making some insane torque at lower RPM and the only way they could keep the deck of the block from flexing was basically adding a thicker deck plate between the block and head.

Edit: here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3wGe...ormanceAcademy
Yea maybe i should be looking into uprated head gaskets to go with the L19 studs i already have rather than using the factory gasket.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport9
Define not many miles on the subjective clause? I'm on a decade here of daily driving, from cross country American road trips, to enjoying the German autobahn network, and tourist days at the ring. I think I've put my drivetrain through almost every scenario short of artic winters.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
summer project ugh
sadly, i got forced into rebuilding my current motor a bit too early, was planning it until after that nats. so this is the buschur 2.0 short block package, built 2019, didnt race during the pandemic, so I got 1.5years of autox + 2 lite time attack days *sigh*. oil pump was new, changed brad penn oil frequently and it doesnt smell e85. i got a spun #4 rod bearing... is 8200rpm rev limit the culprit here?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

No, the #4 rod is the last to get oil. Likely a starvation issue. Post pics of all the bearings. I'm sure the others show evidence of starvation as well.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?