Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD

Again, I dont understand why you can do amazing launches and dont break stuff
I'm knocking on wood as we speak. I've only used the ACT HD street disc in all 3 evos. I gotta be north of 500+ launches by now and never an issue with the trans/diffs.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
I'm knocking on wood as we speak. I've only used the ACT HD street disc in all 3 evos. I gotta be north of 500+ launches by now and never an issue with the trans/diffs.
knocking on wood with ya. After this I've replaced everything in the past year except axles, driveshaft, belt accessories, acd pump. oh what could be next...
The following users liked this post:
LV///R (Sep 12, 2023)
Old Sep 13, 2023, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
It took me like 4 years of launching at autocross at 340 to the wheels(dyno’d 12 years ago) for my first gear to break some teeth while in stop and go traffic. The trick for longevity is to toast the clutch when you launch 🤡.
What exactly is this sound? DId you have the same when you broke 1st gear? I posted about seeing metal bits several months ago when I did my clutch. that should have been the telltale sign its on borrowed time
Old Sep 13, 2023, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I never took a video of it but when it broke(a tooth) i had like a very little jerk in the car and a slight clunk. Afterwards while driving I heard what almost sounded like a couple of rocks making rattling noises. Yours is a more consistent noise while mine was almost like 3 pebbles being shaken around in a can. My first gear and final drive had a couple teeth missing. I have the invoice of all the things that were replaced. It was def more than what I was expecting in terms of things that were recommended to have replaced.

This is what mine showed on the drain bolt when it happened.
http://dagroj.com/download/file.php?id=1488&mode=view
ViciousLSD (Sep 13, 2023)
Old Sep 13, 2023, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Ahhhh I found the picture that Aaron from TRE posted on instagram from my gears.
Attached Thumbnails Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?-mlde5641.jpg  
ViciousLSD (Sep 13, 2023)
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Im touching every piece of wood i can find right now but ive never blown a diff or gear component from launching. thats with 700hp. Warm slicks. Twin plate clutch.

I think alot of it comes down to how you launch. If you just side step the clutch and hope for the best then of course things are going to break. Needs to be a smooth initial transition and then use the clutch to adjust how much slip and wheelspin you have. Gears snap off when people give them a real hard initial shock loading over and over. You just want it sitting right on the edge of that bite point and then when your ready to go you just let the clutch out smoothly that little bit and it will take up and then your off.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Ahhhh I found the picture that Aaron from TRE posted on instagram from my gears.
R.I.P.

Making Aaron's instagram page is an accomplishment, but an accomplishment I would prefer to avoid.

Originally Posted by Bee-Raddd
Im touching every piece of wood i can find right now but ive never blown a diff or gear component from launching. thats with 700hp. Warm slicks. Twin plate clutch.
Which twin plate do you use?

Also, where are you launching? I wouldn't have thought you'd be launching with the type of racing you do, but apparently I don't entirely know what you're doing
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts

I think alot of it comes down to how you launch. If you just side step the clutch and hope for the best then of course things are going to break. Needs to be a smooth initial transition and then use the clutch to adjust how much slip and wheelspin you have. Gears snap off when people give them a real hard initial shock loading over and over. You just want it sitting right on the edge of that bite point and then when your ready to go you just let the clutch out smoothly that little bit and it will take up and then your off.
Theres also a difference between launching at a track and launching drag style. Its only a few tenths worth of time, but a 1.5-1.6 60ft is an order of magnitude more harsh than a 1.8-1.9 60ft. I can launch 1.7s all day long. When I push that down to the 1.6s its way more aggressive.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
R.I.P.

Making Aaron's instagram page is an accomplishment, but an accomplishment I would prefer to avoid.

Which twin plate do you use?

Also, where are you launching? I wouldn't have thought you'd be launching with the type of racing you do, but apparently I don't entirely know what you're doing
Circuit racing with standing starts. Tilton twin plate.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Theres also a difference between launching at a track and launching drag style. Its only a few tenths worth of time, but a 1.5-1.6 60ft is an order of magnitude more harsh than a 1.8-1.9 60ft. I can launch 1.7s all day long. When I push that down to the 1.6s its way more aggressive.
Yep thats fair. Definitely could launch harder. I also have quite tall gears with a short final drive which helps also
Old Sep 13, 2023, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Do you guys even race? asphalt? lolz
j/k
Old Sep 13, 2023, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It looks like I have a new project to deal with! Today, my exhaust just dropped all of the sudden and I had to drag it back home like that. Luckily it wasn't a long trip. It looks like all the hangers that I have on that part of the exhaust were fully corroded and detached from it. I will try to go to the great local exhaust guys (Lue's Custom) with hopes they could put it back to working condition.

If not, what are my options for a not too expensive cat-back - any recommendations?

Fedja
Old Sep 14, 2023, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
I think you need to sort that underbody rust first.. .I just restored a X for a friend and it gets ugly quickly..
MrAWD (Sep 14, 2023)
Old Sep 14, 2023, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
That amount of rust is scary. Very happy to not have a car from the rust belt.
Bee-Raddd (Sep 17, 2023)
Old Sep 14, 2023, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Im touching every piece of wood i can find right now

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?