Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2023, 08:58 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayoustin
If you'd be willing to loan it to me for a couple weeks to measure up and then I can send it back that'd be awesome!
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
are you planing on doing the whole mount or just the bush insert? As the 6 spd mount is a big hunk of cast iron, unlike the 5 spd fabbed item...
Here's pics

PM the shipping address Austin and I'll send it out!
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
are you planing on doing the whole mount or just the bush insert? As the 6 spd mount is a big hunk of cast iron, unlike the 5 spd fabbed item...
It'll be a full replacement billet aluminum mount using the same bushings as the 5 speed mount. I'll likely get the design done and then we'll do them in small runs requiring an upfront payment like we're doing with the Evo 4/5/6 rear engine mount.

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Here's pics

PM the shipping address Austin and I'll send it out!
Sent, thanks!
The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (Dec 6, 2023)
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
sorry - what are the benefits of the mount? crisper shifts?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
sorry - what are the benefits of the mount? crisper shifts?
Less wheel hop/better ability to put power to the ground due to reduced engine movement is the main one but yea shift feel is improved a bit as well as some weight reduction (around 4-5lbs dropped over the stock mounts).
Old Dec 6, 2023, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

ah gotcha. i've never had the wheel hop issue thankfully, but i deal with pretty low grip (255, asphalt) situations
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
I tried the Cusco mounts for Evo 4-6. The fitment was great, but it rendered by rear-view mirror almost useless.
2.3 with no balance shafts and semi-solid rear diff mounts made too much vibration for my liking!
I wonder if your material will be OK?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Repacking Wheel Bearings

I chatted with a few colleagues about repacking "sealed" wheel bearings with motorsport grease. Yup it's definitely a thing.
Not only for performance but also for longevity.
I had some old front and rear wheel bearings here, so I pressed them apart and tested on them before doing my actual bearings. Passed!

When you press the hub flange out of the bearing, it takes the inner race with it. I think you'll only be able to do this on a few select bearings, it wont work with every car/model.
Apparently, Subaru STI Motorsport wheel bearings are just the normal bearings but with motorsport grade grease. So that makes sense.

These are OEM genuine Evo 7-9 front wheel bearings. Only done around 3000-4000 miles and maybe 10-12 track days.
The lubricant hadn't gone completely solid, but it was looking like it was heading that way. The very old bearings I practiced on were bad, the grease was solid (20+ years old).
I found brake-cleaner was the best thing to dissolve the old wheel bearing grease. I tried acetone and it didn't really work.
Brake-cleaner and compressed air was the best way to get the grease off the plastic cages. You have to bend them to get them out of the bearing, so be careful.
Seems like it would be easy to tear a seal when you're getting them out.

Neo Synthetics HP800 is the best of the best motorsport grease, so that's gone into the bearings.

Lightly press everything back together for assembly. When you re-install the axle and hub nut, this will final compress everything to where it needs to be.

How much grease is too much?
I'll pull these down and inspect next year and report back
Seems like a tub of Neo HP800 would go a really long way!

The following 6 users liked this post by RSMike:
Ayoustin (Dec 10, 2023), Construct (Dec 8, 2023), Kevin. (Dec 11, 2023), kikiturbo (Dec 7, 2023), TimC909 (Dec 8, 2023), ViciousLSD (Dec 7, 2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Dec 7, 2023, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I wonder what the grade of ***** used on the OEM bearing are. If it could be worthwhile getting a better ball while you're in there. Or even just swapping out the steel ***** for ceramic with using factory race.

I should take one of the many bearings I have here apart and do some measuring.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dallas J:
black E (Dec 7, 2023), Construct (Dec 8, 2023), RobbieOh (Dec 7, 2023)
Old Dec 9, 2023, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I wonder what the grade of ***** used on the OEM bearing are. If it could be worthwhile getting a better ball while you're in there. Or even just swapping out the steel ***** for ceramic with using factory race.
I should take one of the many bearings I have here apart and do some measuring.
I measured them - they are 11.11mm in the fronts.
Could easily swap them out for ceramics. Pretty expensive project though!
Old Dec 10, 2023, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RSMike
I tried the Cusco mounts for Evo 4-6. The fitment was great, but it rendered by rear-view mirror almost useless.
2.3 with no balance shafts and semi-solid rear diff mounts made too much vibration for my liking!
I wonder if your material will be OK?
NVH ties heavily to bushing durometer. The Street bushings we offer (70-75A) are generally just a mild increase in NVH. Bushing location and orientation also plays a large part in how much NVH is transmitted to the chassis, which is why our CT9A rear mount uses 2 bushings like the factory mount. Without knowing how stiff the Cusco it's hard to say how they'll compare but I can say we don't get many complaints with our Street bushings on other platforms.

I have someone sending me a CP9A rear mount so we'll have all of the mounts covered for E4-9. The 4-6 rear mount and the 6 speed trans mount we'll likely only do in small runs and require a deposit.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ayoustin
NVH ties heavily to bushing durometer. The Street bushings we offer (70-75A) are generally just a mild increase in NVH. Bushing location and orientation also plays a large part in how much NVH is transmitted to the chassis, which is why our CT9A rear mount uses 2 bushings like the factory mount. Without knowing how stiff the Cusco it's hard to say how they'll compare but I can say we don't get many complaints with our Street bushings on other platforms.

I have someone sending me a CP9A rear mount so we'll have all of the mounts covered for E4-9. The 4-6 rear mount and the 6 speed trans mount we'll likely only do in small runs and require a deposit.
I know the Evo 4-6 and Evo 7-9 front mount is different, I think it's got a different height?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I measured them - they are 11.11mm in the fronts.
Could easily swap them out for ceramics. Pretty expensive project though!
Out of curiosity I looked up the price of 7/16" ceramic *****. Took me a minute to realize that the listed price was for Qty=1 ball. Those things are expensive.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Got lucky on eBay and found a new old stock Amsoil air filter. These have been discontinued for years. Someone must have had one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Interesting design with a second cone filter on the top. The improvement in airflow is probably minimal but I appreciate how they maximized the filtration area within the volume of the filter.

Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

I know the Evo 4-6 and Evo 7-9 front mount is different, I think it's got a different height?
From what I've been told they front mount is slightly different but still compatible. Will know for certain when I have someone to test fit though.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Got lucky on eBay and found a new old stock Amsoil air filter. These have been discontinued for years. Someone must have had one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Interesting design with a second cone filter on the top. The improvement in airflow is probably minimal but I appreciate how they maximized the filtration area within the volume of the filter.

yea that's the one i've been using for years, we discussed earlier. apparently they sold the line to injen, but i actually like the design of the afe one (
Amazon Amazon
) just as much anyway.

re: ceramic bearings, I dished out $$$ on pro bearing's ceramic bearings (ceramic bearings steel race) when I switched to Dallas's uprights, but to be honest i didn't notice a difference in using them.

Facebook Post

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?