Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
oh that aint ****. maybe 20 more lbs for the 6spd, there was always a 20lb diff between MR & GSR listed specs. thinking i might just pop by and put the trans in the trunk and take it to TRE, rather spend $500 for back and forth shipping for a 2 1/2 drive.
Yea two people can lift the transmission with ease. Its like a washing machine in terms of weight. Shipping is way too expensive right now. I tried to ship out a set of wheels and the prices were the highest I have ever been quoted.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking The rabbit hole of upgrades

Crazy my car is 21 years old now... Original owner really haven't driven my car or done anything with it since 2015 when I had my engine/trans/t-case build. I hit a deer with my DD and drove the Evo and fell i love all over again. Decided to do some restoration, comfort things which turned into a pretty large project. I'll take you through my journey of the last 40 days.

All started with:
-Refreshing all 4 window moldings
-HVAC control link gears (couldnt move the hot/cold) and new OEM labels
-New Trunk Carpet and Floor board - 21 years of use they were pretty bad
-New Under Hood Insulator

Then I thought Hum the OEM speakers suck.... so swapped all the speakers out with some nice Sony speakers and my double din radio was so old it didnt even had bluetooth connectivity so decided on ordering a tablet style one to replace it so I can have modern functionality and connect my phone for some music.

This lead to me thinking this steering wheel has seen better days so I ordered a custom steering wheel, along with custom carbon fiber dash trim to go across the dash.

So after feeling pretty good about things and still waiting on the custom parts I was having a blast with my car again. After doing some spirited driving I decided to just look under the hook to make sure nothing looks SUS and of course a small crack in my headers which cracked 3 years ago. I decided let me order a new one to find out ETS stopped making this exact one. So this is where things really went crazy and opened the can of worms. I decided not only to get new updated headers which required me to get a re tune but why not just order an entire new turbo kit! So got a G35-900 with quick spool headers! Ended up putting down 636whp on pump and 820whp on E70 (very conservative tune)

If that wasnt enough I've been addicted again to watching Evo things on YouTube since I'm all energized again and financially in a good place. So while its at the shop decided why not just get some more stuff done:
-Ohlins R&T Coil overs
-Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment kit (Other one had cracked pillows)
-Whiteline rear sway bar w/endlinks, and new front endlinks.
-Somehow convinced my self to pull the trigger on the Carbing Titanium Front strut (with Titanium Hardware) bar I always wanted
-Boosted Fabrication Cross member/roll stop bar (Stock was looking rough)
-4 new wheel bearings
-4 new dust covers
-new stoptech parking brake shoes
-all brembo rebuild/re powder coated
-Tomei Ti Cat back
-Oil Cooler feed & return line replacement (they had a slow leak)
-Blox Test pipe (going to weld Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator into)
-Titanium engine bay hardware replacement kit complete to include axel nuts, brake bleeders, Oil Dip stick Trial BOV hardware, and a few other Ti parts
-Torque Solution Adjustable Rear control arms (Stock one were very rough and for the same money to replace bushings I can get these)
-Driveshaft Center Support Bearing carriers (stock ones are looking sketchy)

So Very interesting to say the least and wasn't expecting this and all due to a Buck that decided he wanted to hide in the bushes and take out the Tesla last minute. I'll have to do a post when its all done but I'll throw a few picture up in the meantime.

The following 8 users liked this post by Evo11V:
Ayoustin (Dec 14, 2023), EVO8LTW (Dec 18, 2023), kikiturbo (Dec 14, 2023), kpt6 (Dec 18, 2023), RallySport9 (Dec 14, 2023), rustykan (Dec 14, 2023), Terror Rising (Dec 14, 2023), ViciousLSD (Dec 14, 2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
where did you get your steering wheel done?? Looks so good.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallySport9
where did you get your steering wheel done?? Looks so good.

https://azaautowheel.com/product/ste...-be-any-color/

ill post pictures when I get it, look them up
On YouTube quality work.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo11V
https://azaautowheel.com/product/ste...-be-any-color/

ill post pictures when I get it, look them up
On YouTube quality work.
Thanks man. Definiltey going to go with them. That's just beautiful. Our wheels looks so much like the 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago (except better honestly less fat) and I think they're just the most attractive wheel of any import of it's time. Also where did you source an oem carpet? These are discontinued. Did you just find a very clean used one?

Last edited by RallySport9; Dec 14, 2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Totally agree about the steering wheel. The inside of the Evo always in my mind was lacking especially compared to the STI at the time but I think I've done well so far just some final touches.

Check this out...
https://intertek-fabrication.com/pro...-dash-trim-kit

I ordered in red reflections I think its gonna look sick!

Here is the Tablet style radio:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
RallySport9 (Dec 14, 2023)
Old Dec 14, 2023, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
There's a giveaway for a free trackday and some other prizes. Entry is free!

https://www.wunderladenracing.com/pa...mqjSrvge3FJoeo
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Calipers now

And while everything’s apart and waiting on a few final parts might as well refresh these again! Franks Powder Coating (check him out on Facebook 1 week turnaround for me) after sending mine in is only going to cost about $600.
kikiturbo (Dec 17, 2023)
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Anyone hate when the front arm bolts get stuck in the bushes? I had to cut a subframe to get this one out (I have a spare stock subframe)

Had some spare 16 mm sphericals around.. The arms will be used only as a "stock" spare setup... Billet uprights come with a custom subframe and arms... but still.. Cut my finger on the swarf.. god I hate stainless..

ViciousLSD (Dec 17, 2023)
Old Dec 17, 2023, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
Anyone hate when the front arm bolts get stuck in the bushes? I had to cut a subframe to get this one out (I have a spare stock subframe

I grease my bolts now since one my cars had this problem back in NYC
Old Dec 18, 2023, 04:02 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Anyone hate when the front arm bolts get stuck in the bushes? I had to cut a subframe to get this one out (I have a spare stock subframe)
I had this happen back in 2014 and had to cut, peel and reweld to get access to the captured side. I still have my front subframe recall to be performed. That should be interesting, conducting business with a Mitsu dealer in 2024. I heard if you're lucky, you can get new front lower control arms included in the recall
Old Dec 18, 2023, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I grease my bolts now since one my cars had this problem back in NYC

my first issue with the subframe was the captive nut inside the subframe.. that time I cut a small hole in the subframe and welded the plate over... should have greased the other side at that time....

Old Dec 18, 2023, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
my first issue with the subframe was the captive nut inside the subframe.. that time I cut a small hole in the subframe and welded the plate over... should have greased the other side at that time....
my old car still has the big holes i cut to access those nuts for the trailing arms . "Luckily" the metal part of the bushing had some teeth which grounded off the other side of the bracket as the bolt was being loosened
Old Dec 18, 2023, 04:05 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I seem to bounce back and forth between various projects as I get motivation, inspiration, and time. Our last attempt on the flares we had real bad warping on the mold doing an infusion on PLA and the heat of curing was too much.

So I put it on the side while getting other things done. Worked yesterday and today on things and now I can pull the solids out and create the molds for carbon layup. Canards I tweaked a bit from my current designs also. A bit larger and more aggressive with XA rules. Need to print these and get them off to my buddy for work so I can move on to the next fun thing.

The following 5 users liked this post by Dallas J:
Hoojan (Jan 3, 2024), Jahtoot (Dec 19, 2023), kikiturbo (Dec 18, 2023), RobbieOh (Dec 19, 2023), RSMike (Dec 19, 2023)
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
PLA is a great material but I frequently forget how poorly it handles even mild heat.

Excited to see how those turn out. If you have time to snap some photos of the molding process I'd be interested in seeing it.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?