Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
That makes much more sense. I was questioning everything I knew about Evo transmissions last night.

Are you still running the same 2.3 motor?
Yep! 5 years and still going strong!

Originally Posted by Balrok
Haha Ya you've overspent on most everything and way underspent in the shock department lol. Tien, 600+hp, and sequential is like putting the AllBlacks rugby team on an ice lake with socks on I had custom KW 2 ways as soon as I went to 100tw tires
for regular track days circa 2007 lol.
Yea its been a neglected area really. its the next step of upgrades i guess to do. just such a big cost like always. its okay Dallas Ohlins are on the way!

Originally Posted by kyoo
have all you track guys done the EGR removal? Anything change with that since the car's come out? Just a block off plate? Car consumes a little more fuel this way, negligible, etc?
One of the first things i did as a street car. be careful which vac lines u loop ontop of the manifold as 1 is pre throttle body and 2 are post. Or even better replace the manifold and TB.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 04:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
too real. i went from full to empty in 3 20min sessions at a track day. after refilling that came out to 5mpg
Sounds right. I go through about 5gal per 20min session. I think the course is 2.2 miles and we do about 7-9 laps or so.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Bee-Radd,

How many race-events do you run per year? And are they 30 minute sprints or what is the typical configuration?
I trust you also test, qualify, and perhaps even occasionally run for fun.

Trying to understand how long in terms of race-miles is your 2.3 lasting.

In the "old days" 2.3 was default build for local race Evos in California, after stock motor tired-out.
As driver progressed into lower power to weight ratio, 2.3 was hugely beneficial with its torque.

Typically the motors would be solid for 3 years of racing.

Yours is exceptional value at this point.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
IIRC, bee-radd said he shifts at a very reasonable 7xxx RPM shift point. That probably helps significantly with longevity.

I know the 2.2 is the current crowd favorite, but I still want to believe that the 2.3/2.4 options can be reliable enough with the correct parts choice and a proper build.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
all right.. will look into adding the block off plate. damn, always something.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 06:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Michael Puglisi had 5 years on his motor before he popped it at Gridlife midwest. And he is around 600 whp. I was told by Devin at Boostin to expect approx 5 years of full on track abuse before needing a refresh. So I dont think 5yrs is exceptional per what I've seen and heard. Granted there are too many variables to nail down time frame on everyone's specific situation.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Bee-Radd,

How many race-events do you run per year? And are they 30 minute sprints or what is the typical configuration?
I trust you also test, qualify, and perhaps even occasionally run for fun.

Trying to understand how long in terms of race-miles is your 2.3 lasting.

In the "old days" 2.3 was default build for local race Evos in California, after stock motor tired-out.
As driver progressed into lower power to weight ratio, 2.3 was hugely beneficial with its torque.

Typically the motors would be solid for 3 years of racing.

Yours is exceptional value at this point.

We do 3x 10 lap races a meeting and 5 meetings a year. +20 min of qualifying which id normally do around 8 laps of + we get 2 practice sessions which are 20min long and varies how much we run in that.

Would normally do around 4x test days a season also with variable running but i often run these on low boost and cruise around quite a bit testing parts and setups.

As mentioned i only shift at 7000 - 7200RPM with a hard cut at 7800 so it isnt hammered but yea it seems to have been a very well built motor. I throw new big ends at it every season and compression + leakdown test it.
Think ill pull it out in the next few weeks while the box is out and give it a bit more of a substantial refresh this season.
alpinaturbo (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 05:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
I throw new big ends at it every season
What's this mean?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
What's this mean?
The big end of the rod. The bearings.
kaj (Jun 14, 2019)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Michael Puglisi had 5 years on his motor before he popped it at Gridlife midwest. And he is around 600 whp. I was told by Devin at Boostin to expect approx 5 years of full on track abuse before needing a refresh. So I dont think 5yrs is exceptional per what I've seen and heard. Granted there are too many variables to nail down time frame on everyone's specific situation.
Mike was also running a 162mm rod in a 63 block so his compression height on his pistons is paper thin which is why they cracked. To be honest I'm amazed his motor lasted as long as it did considering how short that compression height is. Running a standard 150mm rod or a 156mm rod definitely won't have issues like that.

I think at 4-450whp 5 years can easily be expected out of a motor assuming there haven't been any questionable parts used in the build. Granted, I think seasonal check ups on the rod bearings is always a good idea.
alpinaturbo (Jun 14, 2019)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to circle back to the EGR thing:

@kaj , with yours that is just a sandwich for stock appearances, did you also leave all the hoses in place and such? I'm looking at STM's which looks like it is designed to be sandwiched in between the EGR valve for OEM appearance, so I'm wondering if I can literally just bolt it in between the plate and such.

https://stmtuned.com/collections/stm...-evo-7-8-9-dsm

I assume that functionally, it is the same as an EGR delete, but just looks like the emissions equipment is there. Not sure why they provide a gasket also.

Also, any issues with like pressure build up or choking with the EGR attempting to recirc the gasses back in but not being able to? Again, I assume you leave all the hoses in place. If it's just sandwiching this plate in, easy enough for me to handle.

Last edited by kyoo; Jun 14, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 04:55 PM
kaj

I put the OEM gasket between the IM and plate. I then got some longer bolts to sandwich everything together. Everything else was left so it looks completely stock. So far, it's made it through visual checks.
I haven't noticed any difference in how the car runs or drives.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I put the OEM gasket between the IM and plate. I then got some longer bolts to sandwich everything together. Everything else was left so it looks completely stock. So far, it's made it through visual checks.
I haven't noticed any difference in how the car runs or drives.
thanks mate. so, nothing else (tune, etc) needs to be changed, just put the plate in there, and everything else stays the same? aside from disabling the CEL or whatever.

tuner (ER) is thinking it is leaking and causing some intermittent knock up top. regardless, after reading up on it, seems like it's good to do with the road racing i'm doing now especially
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:29 AM
kaj

thanks mate. so, nothing else (tune, etc) needs to be changed, just put the plate in there, and everything else stays the same? aside from disabling the CEL or whatever.

tuner (ER) is thinking it is leaking and causing some intermittent knock up top. regardless, after reading up on it, seems like it's good to do with the road racing i'm doing now especially
I think my EGR is disabled in the tune..? I can't remember for sure and it's locked, so I can't look at it. But, I can't think of why it would be a problem, even on a stock ROM. Unless the valve has a sensor and looks for flow during startup/EGR use....?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:42 AM
kaj

So, who was fabbing the Alumalite splitters? Any updates?

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?