Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2024, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Summer projects --

Been playing with the M2. Picked up some Apex wheels for it. Will probably do a front lip and trunk lip spoiler, K&W coil overs, GTS tune and be done with it. Same wheels as this pic which is more or less the look I'm going for.

For the Evo 8 I just booked an appointment to get some tints. Been running it wingless and without the splitter. But between the noise and fishbowl plus 1/2 cage it gets a lot of attention. And it far from legal currently. Had to burn off 3month old E85 and just tanked it up. It needs a tuneup, tires and brake flush to be tip top. Also have some oil coming from the ex mani bolts I need to address.

Evo 3 needs drivetrain gone through so it just sits. Runs and drives but have a whine from the tcase i think.

I also have a 2024 F150 Reg Cab Short bed 5.0 4x4 on order. Looking forward to throwing on a Whipple and lowering it for a fun daily driver. Will look similar to this from the factory, same color and chrome bumper.

Old Jun 21, 2024, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
I also have a 2024 F150 Reg Cab Short bed 5.0 4x4 on order. Looking forward to throwing on a Whipple and lowering it for a fun daily driver. Will look similar to this from the factory, same color and chrome bumper.
Oh man, I want one of these so bad. I have my 19 ecoboost but my use of it would be totally fine having single cab and an extra foot in the bed. I havent looked much into it, but I should sell mine and "downgrade" to that spec.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 01:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah its pure work truck spec. I dont mind, will replace my 2015 Silverado Double cab. Current truck is 99% just me alone driving to work 3x a week. Have the wifes SUV if we need to haul the whole family around. Even the m2 can do it.

But the 5.0 Coyote, all aluminum body, and 4x4 is a super combo and I always wanted a single cab truck. The kids these days throw on a supercharger and gap pretty much everything on the street. Should be a blast.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Nothing to add other than to say that's really unfortunate all around.
Originally Posted by Dallas J
You have to compensate for this in the cams. I'm trying to re-rationalize this in my head so hopefully I don't get it wrong... The bigger size really is advancing the gear but its by enough that you would retard a full tooth and have a remainder of 2deg retarded. It kind of makes sense to state it this way because you will typically line up the cam gears as close to the timing marks as possible.

With mivec, you will lose 2deg at the top end of the range, so -3.5 to 26.5 and this will need to be changed in the tune or its possible to have a CEL when it tries and target higher than 26.5 and cant reach it. I only saw this when cruising on freeway in 5th and you roll into throttle going up a hill. Its an easy change to the min/max range.
Thanks guys. This all started with 2 serpentine belts breaking and some strands and fibers getting into the timing cover, then the broken coil wire. I see my alternator pulley has a bit of damage that may cause damage to the in-side of the belt. my AC might be engaging/disengaging repeatedly before the clutch gave out. then I also saw the belt riding 1 groove outside the ati/crank pulley which is why the damage on the 1st belt is on the out-side when I caught it. the 2nd belt broke on the highway without any noise so i have no idea which side it started. "Luckily" i brought a backup belt and was able to change the belt under a shade. After the t-belt job I'm changing the tensioner and trying out a Gates belt and constantly inspect this. I should probably get a new alternator *sigh* and install it later

On the timing belt, I dont have replacement parts yet but maybe I can clean the old parts and try to visualize this 2deg retard. I noticed my crank trigger plate has a bit of play, is that normal or i need a new one? I do plan to get a different tuner to improve my SD tune when my car runs again..
I just called my previous engine builder/tuner about the timing with the ER gear and he said to align to the marks the normal way. he sounds dismissive of the 2 deg change. I always have to read into his nonchalant statements/attitude about every serious concern i have, but I know he has unmonitored technicians doing the work (and I've already informed him of several issues about this), so I have asked him to please double check his info with his best guy in the shop. I will have to try timing as normal, hoping it runs fine and I can get the new better tuner to re-evaluate.

what do you guys think of the

BLE Solid Timing Belt Tensioner?

https://stmtuned.com/products/ble-7-bolt-4g63-solid-timing-belt-tensioner

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2024, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

My car skipped some teeth at one point due to the timing cover ingesting a grommet from a clear cam cover. But leak down and compression test, borescope, and dyno run confirmed all was well. We do get lucky sometimes lol
every mod causes more problems ugh
my first motor broke its timing belts on track and the engine was fine. it was at a hairpin turn and it probably broke when I pressed the clutch to shift up. "lucky" lol
in my current situation, it skipped while just trying to diagnose a misfire/coil issue
Old Jun 21, 2024, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
sorry for turning the convo away - this outer ring is just designed to sit on the bearing, right?

lol
Old Jun 21, 2024, 04:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Yes, thats the race.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
sorry for turning the convo away - this outer ring is just designed to sit on the bearing, right?

lol
are you doing your LSD right now?
Old Jun 21, 2024, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

I always wanted a single cab truck. Should be a blast.
This isnt entirely accurate, I've had a few single cab Chevy C10 from the 67-72 era. This was my favorite. 1968 C10 lowered 3/5 inches on corvette steelies. Had a small block 400 inch Pontiac motor in it. The only issue was it was a 3 speed haha

Old Jun 22, 2024, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
are you doing your LSD right now?
no just inspecting the parts. TRE's going to do it at some point this summer.

recommended settings for the front diff plates? was thinking 60% of them.

i can't remember how we used to set up my 1.5 type RS, maybe similar. 60% of plates and 8 of the 12 springs?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
IIRC mine is set at 60% with minimum preload springs.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Today's summer project. Finally putting this thing together so I can do some oil changes and brake jobs easier.

Old Jun 22, 2024, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Today's summer project. Finally putting this thing together so I can do some oil changes and brake jobs easier.

having the qj has been such a game changer for me. FWIW, I found using slotted pucks to be more mentally comfortable vs just sitting on the rubber blocks.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
br3akrboi (Jun 23, 2024)
Old Jun 22, 2024, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

This is what 2 degree retard looks like

Old Jun 22, 2024, 04:20 PM
EvoM Guru

speaking of (annual) summer projects, mine was to make this flimsy tree look vibrant by using steel cables+ winch puller to point ~25 branches upwards.. I got to make it look like other things are taken cared of even though it looks like I work on 5 old cars non-stop

back to wrenching
The following users liked this post:
RallySport9 (Jun 22, 2024)

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?