Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The EGR? you don't have to remove anything, IIRC, if you don't mind getting in there a bit. I'm pretty sure I did mine with everything in the car.

thanks, i'll take another look, looks like it may be easier to take it of to get in there anyway
Old Jun 30, 2019, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you have stock route UICP and a full size battery you'll have to take those two things off to get to it.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you have stock route UICP and a full size battery you'll have to take those two things off to get to it.
smaller batt in the stock location and uicp stock yeah
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:32 PM
EvoM Guru

It might be in the way. Hard to say without seeing your car.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It might be in the way. Hard to say without seeding your car.
Keep your dirty seeds away from my car.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jul 1, 2019)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Edited for posterity lol
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
i kind of skimmed through since ive been away for a couple days but back on the catch tank thing:

I dont get why u guys are all obsessed with blowby and vacuum? ive never worried about it. i just vent the rocker cover to a catch tank with a nice big filter on it and it just vents when it feels the need to vent and i drain it every once in a while. ever since going to E85 i get a bit more crap through due to the condensation you seem to get off e85.

Ive seen the state of the stuff that builds up in your catch tank and theres no way in hell id let that stuff drain back into my engine. It lowers your octane of your fuel/air mixture too putting those oil vapours back into your intake. and creates a yucky build up of oil on the inside of your pipes.

I personally cannot see a single benefit to recirculating the crap that blows out your engine back into your intake. and im not sure why you guys are interested in pulling a vacuum either?

I havnt seen a single high power evo down these ways thats interested in doing either of the above so curious to hear opinions on what the obsession is here?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
i kind of skimmed through since ive been away for a couple days but back on the catch tank thing:

I dont get why u guys are all obsessed with blowby and vacuum? ive never worried about it. i just vent the rocker cover to a catch tank with a nice big filter on it and it just vents when it feels the need to vent and i drain it every once in a while. ever since going to E85 i get a bit more crap through due to the condensation you seem to get off e85.

Ive seen the state of the stuff that builds up in your catch tank and theres no way in hell id let that stuff drain back into my engine. It lowers your octane of your fuel/air mixture too putting those oil vapours back into your intake. and creates a yucky build up of oil on the inside of your pipes.

I personally cannot see a single benefit to recirculating the crap that blows out your engine back into your intake. and im not sure why you guys are interested in pulling a vacuum either?

I havnt seen a single high power evo down these ways thats interested in doing either of the above so curious to hear opinions on what the obsession is here?
My other race car is a 1981 toyota starlet. I dont have a trailer for my hobbies. I dont want to start explaining that to other car-guys too I have to grid after my runs so its a little embarassing to stink up the place with burnt oil smell. I'm also cursed with a weird sense of smell, maybe because I'm a smoker all my lawn equipment are electric, cant stand 2-cycle fumes. also I think VTA will get to my tires eventually (worst would be in rain events). I tried VTA to my rear bumper BTW - it still stinks

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Jul 1, 2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

A properly designed catch can has baffles/filters/sections that prevent 99% of the "crap" from getting sucked back to the intake so that's not really a concern these days. For guys that are on stock motors or close to them the sealed vac becomes more important whereas a loosely built race motor blows enough that a sealed can becomes a kink in the system as I've concluded so far.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 06:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
A properly designed catch can has baffles/filters/sections that prevent 99% of the "crap" from getting sucked back to the intake so that's not really a concern these days. For guys that are on stock motors or close to them the sealed vac becomes more important whereas a loosely built race motor blows enough that a sealed can becomes a kink in the system as I've concluded so far.
yea makes sense. what is the advantage of sealed vac? i woulda thought the fumes going back into ur intake would negate most of these advantages?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
yea makes sense. what is the advantage of sealed vac? i woulda thought the fumes going back into ur intake would negate most of these advantages?
I posted it earlier but basically vac on boost which helps both turbo seals and piston seals. How much it really does that, I dunno who's posted measurements but enough shops have bothered to make em.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I posted it earlier but basically vac on boost which helps both turbo seals and piston seals. How much it really does that, I dunno who's posted measurements but enough shops have bothered to make em.
Except as I stated, this is not possible. You can have near atmospheric pressure but you cant achieve a vacuum in the crankcase under boost.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Except as I stated, this is not possible. You can have near atmospheric pressure but you cant achieve a vacuum in the crankcase under boost.
I tend to agree with this. you cant really draw a vacuum. turbo is going to suck from the point of least resistance. so it will just balance out with whats coming through the air filter
Old Jul 3, 2019, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
You can draw a vacuum if you have a dry sump (or external vacuum pump) and seal all the vents on the engine... That way you vent the engine trough the dry sump scavenge pumps and lower the pressure in the crankcase. This benefits ring seal and if you have the budget, you can run lower tension rings too..
Old Jul 3, 2019, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
You can draw a vacuum if you have a dry sump (or external vacuum pump) and seal all the vents on the engine... That way you vent the engine trough the dry sump scavenge pumps and lower the pressure in the crankcase. This benefits ring seal and if you have the budget, you can run lower tension rings too..
Yeah, we mentioned this earlier. Can also do a venturi vacuum in the exhaust too. That's not legal for SCCA SM but might be for others? The intake is just not going to make enough vacuum to draw enough flow rate and create a vacuum.

I need to talk with some people at work that know more fluids than I do, but I don't remember if you can get a venturi to work in a vacuum like in the intake or if it needs to be pressurized flow.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?