Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yeah, we mentioned this earlier. Can also do a venturi vacuum in the exhaust too. That's not legal for SCCA SM but might be for others? The intake is just not going to make enough vacuum to draw enough flow rate and create a vacuum.

I need to talk with some people at work that know more fluids than I do, but I don't remember if you can get a venturi to work in a vacuum like in the intake or if it needs to be pressurized flow.
So what'd be a venturi exhaust then? Our downpipe with a cone shaped restriction welded into it?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
So what'd be a venturi exhaust then? Our downpipe with a cone shaped restriction welded into it?
Its basically something like this. There's enough info online for it, but basically flow rate draws the gasses into the exhaust rather than the back pressure pushing back up into the line.

Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
is that what this does?

http://urgedesigns.com/?page_id=1076
Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
C'mon guys. Just add another turbo and instead of boost, create lots of vacuum - problem solved!!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Oh, and dont get me wrong. Im not saying theres anything wrong running the vent lines back to the intake. It does have its benefits of keeping things clean and providing at least some draw on the crankcase. Its just not this mega vacuum effect these companies claim it is with magical results.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Oh, and dont get me wrong. Im not saying theres anything wrong running the vent lines back to the intake. It does have its benefits of keeping things clean and providing at least some draw on the crankcase. Its just not this mega vacuum effect these companies claim it is with magical results.
It certainly helps if you have a turbo that is overly sensitive to crankcase pressure.

But I think running a proper side intake negates it mostly. You shouldn't have very much vacuum in the intake pipe. More than a few inches and you should probably addressing the size of the intake and filter.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
couldn't you get the venturi effect in the intake hose? I mean the air is already accelerating in that conical tubing. my CCV fitting extends a tiny bit into the hose
there are brake bleeders that use air pressure/flow that effectively creates vacuum

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Jul 3, 2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Yeah, we mentioned this earlier. Can also do a venturi vacuum in the exhaust too. That's not legal for SCCA SM but might be for others? The intake is just not going to make enough vacuum to draw enough flow rate and create a vacuum.

I need to talk with some people at work that know more fluids than I do, but I don't remember if you can get a venturi to work in a vacuum like in the intake or if it needs to be pressurized flow.
a friend of mine installed that venturi in the exhaust of his e8, running 2.3 and fp black, measured the crankcase pressure and the overall effect was minor at best...
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Jul 3, 2019, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
couldn't you get the venturi effect in the intake hose? I mean the air is already accelerating in that conical tubing. my CCV fitting extends a tiny bit into the hose
there are brake bleeders that use air pressure/flow that effectively creates vacuum

I dont think your getting the sort of velocities you expect in the intake. not like the exhaust which would have decent pressure through it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
I dont think your getting the sort of velocities you expect in the intake. not like the exhaust which would have decent pressure through it.
from what I understand its the compression of the same volume of air that increases the velocity and reduces pressure and therefore creates a pressure differential that causes the pull (vacuum) towards the lower pressure area. the intake hose has the cone shape that would probably achieve the same effect of a carburator venturi (which pulls fuel from a reservoir).
the exhaust pipe diameter after the turbo is constant so that might not even work

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Jul 3, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 08:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Are summer projects ok in here? Lol
Attached Thumbnails Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?-photo163.jpg  
Old Jul 7, 2019, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

should we start a place is not dead sup with them summer projects thread?

View this post on Instagram

Got my motor out on the weekend. Pulled the head off needs exhaust valve sorted as its leaking.

This weeks mission is to get the bottom end off and throw a set of big ends and mains at it. bores look perfect so wont touch rings.

Other jobs just chuck standard stuff at it eg head gasket and cambelt kit etc.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
should we start a place is not dead sup with them summer projects thread?
So jelly, right now.

Old Jul 8, 2019, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
So jelly, right now.

thats uhhh.... ummm... an ebay aircon pump

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?