Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Fedja- we should be able to weld a nut to that and extract it. Usually the heat from welding helps to break the seize and then you have something nice to grab onto with a wrench. If you want to pop off the arm and swing down lemme know!
That might be worth the try! I will try to take off that rear vertical bolt tonight. I had used cordless last night and it was not up to the task (it did take out front horizontal one though). I have about 600 lb air gun, but have to get right size attachment for it, since it is a bit bigger than the rest of my tools.
Now, ball joint on in the front didn't want to budge also with the cordless. Nut came off, but bolt didn't move at all. I sprayed all of them with PB for another try tonight. I have never taken ball joint one off before. That bolt should just come out, right? I am guessing I will have to use those forks to pry it down, but those have tendencies to damage the boot. Are those serviceable? Is there an OEM replacement for that or it is the same as the rear aftermarket stiffer bushing option only?

Also, I am not sure where you are located. Could you PM me your address?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
A good soak with penetrant will certainly help your case. See what progress you can make tonight as far as getting the bolts off. The vertical one really shouldnt fight you. In the case of the CT9A the horizontal one is the one that always seizes. As for the ball joint can you even get the bolt to spin with a breaker bar? If the BJ has never been popped off them sometimes they can fight you coming off. You could use a pickle fork but those almost always rip the boot. I have a tool, think its just called a ball joint separator and it's worked wonders to pop off the BJ without tearing the boot.

If you can get the arm off yourself and swing down that would be the easiest. We could try welding on the car but that would make things more difficult. Or we could always get it off at my place; my car is back on the lift on account of Sunday but we can move her over.

I'll pm you my address
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
New summer project: pull head and see what kind of damage was done when my timing belt decided it was time for a timing belt change. Felt like a thunk and the engine shut down immediately. Good times.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 07:43 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
New summer project: pull head and see what kind of damage was done when my timing belt decided it was time for a timing belt change. Felt like a thunk and the engine shut down immediately. Good times.
Bummer dude. I had a DSM toss a timing belt because the balance shaft belt was never changed (before I owned it) and took out the main belt. I oddly bent only 5 valves. But at least its typically much more rebuildable the windowing a block or something. Bright side something something
Old Jul 23, 2019, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Bummer dude. I had a DSM toss a timing belt because the balance shaft belt was never changed (before I owned it) and took out the main belt. I oddly bent only 5 valves. But at least its typically much more rebuildable the windowing a block or something. Bright side something something
The thing that pisses me off the most is that I was planning a built 2.4LR and head to match later this year and this completely jacks up my timeline and parts collection. I had ER do my last timing belt job years ago and I know they wouldn't do a **** job. Things happen, it is what it is. After I figure out the damage I'll ship the head off to Curt Brown for the build and hopefully be able to convince my wife to just let me go ahead and do the block now. Will be easier if there's damaged pistons.

I am SO glad I didn't window the block lol. First thing I did was look under the car for oil. Once I swap in the 2.4 I'm gonna teach myself how to build a block and save the 4G63 for some kind of project car down the line. Would be slightly hard with a window.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
ive dveloped what appears to be a massive boost leak - way louder and the car won't go past 5k rpm at WOT in 2nd. i just did the egr block off, which requried the removal of the UICP - i rechecked it and all seems fine visually. Aside from that, I'm going to check the LICP & intercooler connections.

Any other suggestions for where to check?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 01:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
ive dveloped what appears to be a massive boost leak - way louder and the car won't go past 5k rpm at WOT in 2nd. i just did the egr block off, which requried the removal of the UICP - i rechecked it and all seems fine visually. Aside from that, I'm going to check the LICP & intercooler connections.

Any other suggestions for where to check?

Boost leak test.....?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Always a boost leak test. Visual inspection almost never finds much
Old Jul 28, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
luckily was able to find it - UICP that connected the intercooler to hose. i guess after 6 years it decided to blow off
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
u guys ever put temp monitoring into your differentials? im looking to do this to both diffs and trying to decide if i just replace the drain plugs with temp probes or wether i need to drill and tap new holes for the temp probes.

Basically trying to work out how important the diff magnets are really. i change diff oil like every 2 meetings anyway
Old Jul 30, 2019, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Magnets are very important since there is no filter.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Drill through the magnet?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 07:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Magnets are very important since there is no filter.
this is what im thinking and why im reluctant to remove it.

I even looked for magnetic temp probes but they dont exist hahah
Old Jul 30, 2019, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
put the probe in the fill hole
Old Jul 31, 2019, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
put the probe in the fill hole
It's not submerged and won't work well there.

On the tcase, you can put the probe in the little bolt on access panel on the bottom.

On the rear diff, find a good spot to drill and tap the bottom of the rear cover.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?