Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:52 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
I would agree but the OP reckons the noise went away once the car cooled down. and i dont think the cambelt would have decided to jump back a tooth again once cold haha.
When my tensioner blew up my belt would jump around and the sound would go away and come back. It's easy enough to check and cross it off the list.
The following users liked this post:
Bee-Raddd (Oct 8, 2019)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
When my tensioner blew up my belt would jump around and the sound would go away and come back. It's easy enough to check and cross it off the list.
Yep can see that happening now you mention it actually.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
St43s in front only, s/s (similar to ds2500) in rear

maybe i just need to train my braking foot a little better. they are def up to temp lol.
I tried ST43s for the first time at my last event. I didn’t find them grabby at all. What did you have before?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I tried ST43s for the first time at my last event. I didn’t find them grabby at all. What did you have before?
girodisc s/s. how are you trailing into corners?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

girodisc s/s. how are you trailing into corners?
Not sure what you are asking? If you are asking whether I trail brake into corners, then yes. I’m generally transitioning from brake to throttle right before the apex, or at least I try to.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure what you are asking? If you are asking whether I trail brake into corners, then yes. I’m generally transitioning from brake to throttle right before the apex, or at least I try to.
I just need to work on my brake pressure sensitivity then, or brake less. are you on the X brakes setup?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 07:06 AM
EvoM Guru

I just need to work on my brake pressure sensitivity then, or brake less. are you on the X brakes setup?
No, just stock calipers with better fluid, pads and rotors. Don’t brake less. Drive faster
Old Oct 9, 2019, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new Mitsubishi shortblock while I still had the chance. Unfortunately, it looks like I missed that window. According to STM the shortblocks are no longer available as of last month: https://stmtuned.com/products/oem-mi...3-short-blocks
Old Oct 9, 2019, 08:47 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I have ST43 F/R and love them. No complaints other than when I drive the car in town.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

No, just stock calipers with better fluid, pads and rotors. Don’t brake less. Drive faster
maybe that's what it is - a lot more brake torque with the X brakes. Just need to work on sensitivity. I was able to carry in a good amount of brakes on brakes with less mu to keep the front end down and helped rotate the car.

Originally Posted by Construct
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new Mitsubishi shortblock while I still had the chance. Unfortunately, it looks like I missed that window. According to STM the shortblocks are no longer available as of last month: https://stmtuned.com/products/oem-mi...3-short-blocks
what for? just a spare?

Originally Posted by kaj
I have ST43 F/R and love them. No complaints other than when I drive the car in town.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:03 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I kinda wanted to do the same.. just in case LOL. I have one in my car now. I bought it about a year ago and have probably 1000 miles on it. Best $3k I've ever spent on the car, I think. It's nice to know the exact history and health of the short block. And, it *should* go another 130k miles, so I'm hoping to never have to touch the engine again, for the life of the car. So worth it.
...but still wanted a back up, in case something went really, really wrong.
FWIW, it took a really long time to source my second one (first one showed up rolling around the inside of the truck so had to be sent back due to being damaged and contaminated... such a waste)... so I was under the impression the supply dried up long ago. I would have tried to get another, had I known there were any avail as recent as a month ago.
The following users liked this post:
Construct (Oct 9, 2019)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
what for? just a spare?
I really like the reliability of the stock block, stock turbo setup. In theory an aftermarket built block should be even more robust if built properly, but there's something to be said for OEM reliability. I get nervous when I see other people's build threads that used all the right parts but still ended up with mysterious motor issues.

Track weekends are my vacations. The last thing I want is for the car to be out of commission for several months right in the middle of the season. That's half the reason I've stuck with OEM block, 200TW tires, and factory boost levels. But there's no escaping the fact that this is a 13 year old car with almost 100K miles now.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Evo reliability on track has more to do with Oil and heat management than the mechanics inside it. Most failures I see are bearing or head gasket related.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I really like the reliability of the stock block, stock turbo setup. In theory an aftermarket built block should be even more robust if built properly, but there's something to be said for OEM reliability. I get nervous when I see other people's build threads that used all the right parts but still ended up with mysterious motor issues.

Track weekends are my vacations. The last thing I want is for the car to be out of commission for several months right in the middle of the season. That's half the reason I've stuck with OEM block, 200TW tires, and factory boost levels. But there's no escaping the fact that this is a 13 year old car with almost 100K miles now.
got it - no i'm in total agreement. stock block and stock turbo here too, even just aftermarket turbo was too much headache for me to handle. my car just ticked over 40k, but it'll build 5k+/yr steadily until i get a trailer
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Damn, I've been meaning to track down another new short block. But honestly I've had my mind set on going to a billet block instead for first, availability, then weight/reliability above and beyond what the stock cast could ever do.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?