Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 07:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
The dealership that performed my airbag recall broke my HVAC temperature control. Only blows cold air now. They also didn't reattach the passenger HVAC vent, so it dropped an inch into the dash when I touched it.

I didn't notice until months later because the Evo is mostly parked during cold months. I'm going to call the dealership, but I imagine it's going to be an uphill battle given that it's been so long. I also don't really want to take the car back to them again.

How bad is the process of removing the dash and getting at the HVAC controls and blender box? Was hoping to have some more interesting winter projects than this, but here we are.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Its not bad but expect a few cuts dealing with all the snipped ends on the harness. Theres a good tutorial here and its really only like an hour to get it all prepped to pull out. Then 2 people to walk it out.

HVAC is a pretty common issue for us cause the knob is tough to turn after a while and people force it breaking it. I imagine its only time till everyone experiences a broken linkage. Though that does remind me I should probably look into why it sticks and see if theres a fix.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
i had some good pics when i did the move, idk if i still have them, prob dont. when i moved it lower it touches a bracket on one side that we cut off with a dremel.

no issues with my setup, pretty happy with it. no good pics of the actual hvac controls sadly

https://qlmotorsport.com/2015/09/16/...eadunit-setup/

someone has been selling a jdm hvac control covnersion kit though
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
The dealership that performed my airbag recall broke my HVAC temperature control. Only blows cold air now. They also didn't reattach the passenger HVAC vent, so it dropped an inch into the dash when I touched it.

I didn't notice until months later because the Evo is mostly parked during cold months. I'm going to call the dealership, but I imagine it's going to be an uphill battle given that it's been so long. I also don't really want to take the car back to them again.

How bad is the process of removing the dash and getting at the HVAC controls and blender box? Was hoping to have some more interesting winter projects than this, but here we are.
Depending on whats wrong you might not have to remove the dash. Most of the blend door linkage is accessible with the dash in place. So unless its the blend door that is actually stuck then you can probably fix it without pulling the dash.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 02:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts

Yah....that's why I haven't taken my car in LOL

Crap. I need to send Dallas payment for my uprights. Christmas is killing me...
Old Dec 8, 2019, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Are you running a 1500 or 2500?
2500 mate
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Crap. I need to send Dallas payment for my uprights. Christmas is killing me...
Sell me those parts we talked about. I'll send you the cash, so you can send Dallas your cash, so Dallas can buy the discounted Motec kit while it's on sale:
View this post on Instagram
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Sell me those parts we talked about. I'll send you the cash, so you can send Dallas your cash, so Dallas can buy the discounted Motec kit while it's on sale:
Or Dallas can buy the Motec stuff from me for like $2k (at anytime) and then send me a set of uprights as a thank you gift.... Its a win for everyone!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Or Dallas can buy the Motec stuff from me for like $2k (at anytime) and then send me a set of uprights as a thank you gift.... Its a win for everyone!
What...motec stuff?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

did somebody say motec?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Na but on a serious note keep an eye on PRI this weekend, ive been told Haltech have a new product being unveiled and its going to be pretty epic. They wont give me any clues or anything its top secret, Theres also another product they are releasing in march which they say will be a bit of a game changer and nobody else has anything like it including motec. So could be interesting.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have honestly never really been a fan of Haltech. They seem to be on par with AEM but double the price. I mean I can get a M130 for $20 more then an Elite 2500. Not a hard choice for me. We will see what PRI brings but for now I am more then happy with my Infinity, which was half the price of Motec or Haltech.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I have honestly never really been a fan of Haltech. They seem to be on par with AEM but double the price. I mean I can get a M130 for $20 more then an Elite 2500. Not a hard choice for me. We will see what PRI brings but for now I am more then happy with my Infinity, which was half the price of Motec or Haltech.
A pnp elite 2500 is like $2200, and most evos can run off a 1500 just fine which is $1800ish for a pnp. Motec is like $3k+. AEM 506 pnp is like $1800.

Not sure why you think Haltech is crazy amounts more expensive.

After downloading both tuning softwares I found the AEM software is waaay more clunky and worlds less intuitive than Haltech's. Haltech making adding additional modules pretty painless. I couldn't even figure that out on AEM's software. Building tables was also painful to figure out.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
A pnp elite 2500 is like $2200, and most evos can run off a 1500 just fine which is $1800ish for a pnp. Motec is like $3k+. AEM 506 pnp is like $1800.

Not sure why you think Haltech is crazy amounts more expensive.

After downloading both tuning softwares I found the AEM software is waaay more clunky and worlds less intuitive than Haltech's. Haltech making adding additional modules pretty painless. I couldn't even figure that out on AEM's software. Building tables was also painful to figure out.
Price wise, I am not going off retail. I am going off what I can buy them for. I know its not a fare comparison for you guys but the numbers make sense to me. Like you said, normal price for a AEM is around $1800, I am in mine less than $900.... I get a bigger discount on Motec stuff than Haltech which is why there is only a $20 difference between the 2500 and M130.

The AEM software does take some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it, its not bad at all. Its a very capable system if you know how to set it up and will do just about anything you want.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 593 Likes on 447 Posts
Yea if I could get AEM that cheap I'd definitely consider it. But after talking with a few time attack guys who run infinity systems who were quick to voice their displeasure and are jumping ship this year I've decided to stay away.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?