Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 08:12 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Im really interested too in whats actually going on through a corner. I only did a 150psi sensor because I think if its over that its probably max or in more rare situation. But I'll be finding out!

Right now it will be sharing a gauge with my oil pressure sensor so as soon as I determine some of my oiling changes are solid, then I'll change the plugs. This is just temp till I run wires for full time logging of it though.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i mean it's just a ps line, no real improvement or anything i assume. map suggested it when i was mentioning that my rack is rubbing against fsb again, prob causing the popping.
No, it's a replacement part. Idk why they would suggest a hose do this possible issue. There should be clear evidence the rack/FSB rubbing of it actually is.

But you also shouldn't be taking advice from them on really anything.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Feb 5, 2020)
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Im really interested too in whats actually going on through a corner. I only did a 150psi sensor because I think if its over that its probably max or in more rare situation. But I'll be finding out!

Right now it will be sharing a gauge with my oil pressure sensor so as soon as I determine some of my oiling changes are solid, then I'll change the plugs. This is just temp till I run wires for full time logging of it though.
Max pump pressure is about 15 bar or 217 psi, you really might see it max out. How fast is your logger? As the ACD valve will ramp up the pressure many times within the same corner.. Tends to react to steering angle and steering speed quite fast..
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
Max pump pressure is about 15 bar or 217 psi, you really might see it max out. How fast is your logger? As the ACD valve will ramp up the pressure many times within the same corner.. Tends to react to steering angle and steering speed quite fast..
Steering angle sensor has to be logged with this in order to have any meaningful data! Along with the throttle positioning and Gs
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Max sampling is 1000hz, certainly more than enough. Im not sure the response time of the actual sensor but I suspect its at least adequate compared to the physical response of the system.

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Steering angle sensor has to be logged with this in order to have any meaningful data! Along with the throttle positioning and Gs
Yes-ish. I can interpolate for now with other day what Im doing in the car but I will be tapping into steering angle encoder. I just need the time to learn how to program CAN outputs from an arduino for the RaceCapture to log.

First step though, see what the pressures are doing and have fast they swing around.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Couldn't you just log the ACD ecu directly? I vaguely remember doing this years ago with Evo scan and getting things like wheel speed sensor, steering angle sensor, etc. Probably pump pressure is in there.

I also am relocating my ACD pump but shied away from AN lines because max pressure IIRC exceeded typical AN fittings. Safer to run brake line fittings.
​​​
Old Feb 5, 2020, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wasn't 15 bar the normal max operating pressure but the theoretical max 20 bar? I seem to recall some debate there on what the ACD unit could actually be pushed to do in the tuning thread.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 07:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deeman101
Couldn't you just log the ACD ecu directly? I vaguely remember doing this years ago with Evo scan and getting things like wheel speed sensor, steering angle sensor, etc. Probably pump pressure is in there.

I also am relocating my ACD pump but shied away from AN lines because max pressure IIRC exceeded typical AN fittings. Safer to run brake line fittings.
​​​
I dont necessarily care about the other parameters (other than wheel speed, but I have a solution for logging wheel speed. Hint, its not straight forward but doable). What I care about is what the pressure is in context of whats happening on course, what the yaw rates and lateral/longitudinal loads look like. I basically need to wrap my head around what the center diff is doing when the car is acting any given way through the various parts of a corner or straghts.

As for AN lines, I dont recall the max line pressure but its something over 1000psi. The compression ring fittings do have a limit that may be pushed with the ACD pumps potential. I bought a proper AN flare too and flared the OEM 5/16" EVAP line and used that to run the fluid forward. As luck would have it, the line is about the same length as the OEM line (OEM wrapping all the way around the engine bay and all) and its the same diameter. So it works out perfect. And then the

EDIT: Also to add, Ive had this line in the car maybe 3 years already with not a leak. So it has been totally solid.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
exactly. We did some testing by logging the OE ACD ecu and iit is pretty evident that the steering input is a major factor. However, the OE ACD ecu sample rate is pretty low..

One of the things we noticed was that at steady state cornering the acd was open..
Old Feb 5, 2020, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Wasn't 15 bar the normal max operating pressure but the theoretical max 20 bar? I seem to recall some debate there on what the ACD unit could actually be pushed to do in the tuning thread.
There is a small mechanical pressure limiting valve in the pump and it opens at about 15 bar
Old Feb 5, 2020, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

​​​
yeah, evoscan will log the acd ecu...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
....about is what the pressure is in context of whats happening on course, what the yaw rates and lateral/longitudinal loads look like. I basically need to wrap my head around what the center diff is doing when the car is acting any given way through the various parts of a corner or straghts.
You should take a look at the ACD thread. It's taking a lot of inputs but all it's doing at the end of the day is modulating line pressure. That said, there's nothing straightforward about how it's modulating the line pressure and the maps (what we know of them in open source community) is complex. I don't really think the line pressure logging will make sense unless you look at the ACD tuning and log it's inputs to see what it sees and is reacting to.

​​​​​​Sounds like you run better AN fittings than I am (also I don't have a crimper). My fittings are compression type and are rated to 55psi max. I'm also using the evap line to run acd fluid from the back. Just flared and using OEM style brake line fittings.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

There is a small mechanical pressure limiting valve in the pump and it opens at about 15 bar
Right. I think last time I was "in" those threads some people were trying to look at how to override the valve and boost ACD line pressures.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 08:13 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you could setup an arduino to log all those signals. Or if you wanna be fancy a mixed-signal oscilloscope.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Right. I think last time I was "in" those threads some people were trying to look at how to override the valve and boost ACD line pressures.
I guess you could pull out that valve from the pump body and put in a heavier spring but it is questionable if the pressure accumulator would like that.
Having said that, first thing that "we" should do is log individual wheel speeds / axle speeds and see if more locking is needed at all..

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2024 Summer Projects?